Search the forum,

Discuss Flow switch, sheared bolts... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, failed flow switch on potterton precision boiler. British gas, sealed system. There had been some water escaping and the bolts retaining the flow switch to side of boiler became seized, I tryed penetrating oil (wd40) and they began to come out... Then sheared. They are protruding maybe 2-3mm, I have considered tapping them and trying a left handed drill bit a or bolt removal tool but they are only 4mm stud and reckon there's only gonna be one shot at getting them out.

Does anyone know if this is salvageable or have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment DSC_2917.JPG

Are you gas safe ?

No Shaun. I am an Electrician. Apologies in advance. Tin hat on.

Can a gas safe engineer salvage this? Not asking for step by step advice. Just an idea as to cost, hours etc.

Is it new boiler time?

If you find a decent one yes there very common and always snap

You will get the odd few that will say new boiler etc but you have nothing to loose try and find a decent one

I tryed penetrating oil (wd40)

If you're an electrician you know better than to DIY repairs on gas appliances; get a GSR in to advise on repair vs replacement.

In general, but not on boilers unless you are GSR, for removing seized/rusted bolts when there's only one shot I'd go for "Plus Gas Formula A" dismantling fluid and rust de-seizing lubricant. Much better that WD40 for this task IME.

Reply to Flow switch, sheared bolts... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock