Search the forum,

Discuss Flexible hose to main supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

The main stopcock in my house (22mm - under the sink) has, it seems, at some point become stiff and unusable. This original stopcock has been left "open" and a new stopcock (15mm) has been fitted with the onward connection to the 15mm copper house supply pipework being made in 15mm braided flexible hose.
Although a 22mm stopcock was the original shut-off valve, the pipework in the house was always 15mm, so I assume inserting a new 15mm stopcock will not affect the water flow. However, I assume the flexible hose will have a smaller bore than 15mm so will this affect the flow to the fittings in the house, and if so will it be significant? Do I need to have the flexible hose replaced with 15mm copper pipe? Thanks for any thoughts/comments.

Diy best to get a plumber in or if you feel confident replace and move the existing 22mm stop tap where you can access it

The bore of a typical flexi of that size will be around 8-10mm. It should never have been done like that and smacks of a diy repair so have it all done properly by turning the water off outside and replacing the 22mm stop valve then working forwards from there.

Thanks for all comments. You have confirmed my concerns about the flexible hose. However, is it really necessary to remove the 15mm stopvalve and replace the 22mm stopvalve? As the pipework is 15mm, will the 15mm stop valve reduce flow and be a problem?,

As the rest of your house is 15mm, then a 15mm stopcock is fine.
The 22mm stopcock might be able to be repaired. The spindle seizes on stopcocks and requires the small packing nut on spindle to be slackened back and spindle all cleaned and silicone grease suitable for potable water put into packing before nut retightened.
Sometimes pipes have no movement and a diyer has used a flexi which will need removed

Thanks. The reason for not wanting to remove the 22mm stop valve is that it is connected to a black plastic incoming main and I am concerned that it might be brittle and I could be opening a can of worms if it splits. It is only a short length and there wouldn't be enough spare to cut it back and make a new joint. I will try greasing the spindle though as you suggest.

When you back off the small packing nut (13mm ?) squirt WD40 around the spindle then after a few minutes try turning the handle slightly Left, Right, Left, Right a few times and if luck is on your side it will gradually behave as expected. If it works then undo the valve fully and wind the spindle in half a turn and leave.

The main stopcock in my house (22mm - under the sink) has, it seems, at some point become stiff and unusable. This original stopcock has been left "open" and a new stopcock (15mm) has been fitted with the onward connection to the 15mm copper house supply pipework being made in 15mm braided flexible hose.
Although a 22mm stopcock was the original shut-off valve, the pipework in the house was always 15mm, so I assume inserting a new 15mm stopcock will not affect the water flow. However, I assume the flexible hose will have a smaller bore than 15mm so will this affect the flow to the fittings in the house, and if so will it be significant? Do I need to have the flexible hose replaced with 15mm copper pipe? Thanks for any thoughts/comments.
Many flexis have an internal bore as small as 9mm and will restrict flow. Get it replaced with hard pipe and a full bore valve. I hate flexis with a vengeance.

If the 22mm stoptap is connected to a black plastic main then just fit a new stoptap to the existing plastic main and reduce it down to 15mm. Main will be 3/4 or 3/8. I personally have never came across a brittle plastic main but I believe it's a thing.

I would look at leaving the 22 in place, if you’re worried about the pipe, and changing it’s guts. Then connect onto your internal pipe work using copper from this stopcock.

Granted, that’s why I said look at. I get a new stopcock and dismantle the old one, take the guts from the new one and replace them in the old one. If at any point of that process it proves impossible then you are back to replacing the whole stopcock with the new one you have there. Just have to take your bravery pills if it’s a bit of brittle alkathene pipe.

Reply to Flexible hose to main supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock