Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting of a Unvented Direct Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nkhan

I am looking for someone to fit a 80l unvented direct cylinder in the Luton area

This cylinder will serve one bathroom by itself and will not need connecting to an existing boiler

Thank you

Pls explain to OP how is UHWC will feed 6 jet power shower when there is 2bar pressure and 15L per min
also there is a combi boiler in the loft that is to do the other bathroom and ch

cold feed mains is 15mm to new cylinder position

That ain't going to help ! Strange thing is no one else mention this to customer ......

Unless Magic is a name for a company that build accumulators

The text below i took from fabdec website

BBA approved, the EXCELSIOR water heaters do not require a header tank so can be sited
anywhere on the property, subject to suitable plumbing and water pressure. A minimum
requirement of 1.5 bar pressure and 15 litres per minute flow is suggested for satisfactory
operation – although most homes in the UK now have pressure of more than 2 bar.

Going by this i would assume i am ok as a consumer buying this product not saying you are wrong as a installer

The text below i took from fabdec website

BBA approved, the EXCELSIOR water heaters do not require a header tank so can be sited
anywhere on the property, subject to suitable plumbing and water pressure. A minimum
requirement of 1.5 bar pressure and 15 litres per minute flow is suggested for satisfactory
operation – although most homes in the UK now have pressure of more than 2 bar.

Going by this i would assume i am ok as a consumer buying this product not saying you are wrong as a installer

i think you need to do your sums on the water usage.

Likely the power shower is unsuitable and in the event it is suitble for mains pressure (doubt it will be)

at 80 litres of hot water fort hat type of shower you wont be in there very long!

OP you need a accumulator to make it work as you have only 15L per
minute to the house !!!

i think you need to do your sums on the water usage.

Likely the power shower is unsuitable and in the event it is suitble for mains pressure (doubt it will be)

at 80 litres of hot water fort hat type of shower you wont be in there very long!

Many thanks for the post, this is more complicated that I anticipated

How long do you reckon 80l will last, I was going for a bigger one but was advised I wouldn't need a bigger one to serve 1 bathroom

15l/m at 1.5 bar is pathetic.

The water will be dribbling out of your shower heads.

Yep Killy is right. Cheapest and easiest option. Set up a nice big open vented cylinder on a s plan on combi with a. Turner pump. U will need two coffins for water storage so u will probs have nearly 600l of water in your loft. Very heavy.

Killy Bing, interesting post

I have my old water tank still in the loft

Is this doable with a combi as my combi is being installed next week

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow managed to delete my post..

i suggested vented cylinder, coffin tanks and shower pump.

Killy Bing, interesting post

I have my old water tank still in the loft

Is this doable with a combi as my combi is being installed next week

is stan installing the combi?

I would suggest an indirect vented cylinder, having a coil to heat it as well as an immersion.

you would need to have the combi boiler "zoned" to give control of the central heating and also the coil on the cylinder.

To give you the needed pressure you would need a twin impeller shower pump.

I'm sure stan can advise you on what you would need.

I'm not sure he was that interested in stans advice bill.

OP. Listen to Stan, he knows what he's talking about. Even if it's not what you want to hear.

A lot of dodgy guys out there will fill up and forget you exist with a sub standard system that won't suit your requirements.

is stan installing the combi?

I would suggest an indirect vented cylinder, having a coil to heat it as well as an immersion.

you would need to have the combi boiler "zoned" to give control of the central heating and also the coil on the cylinder.

To give you the needed pressure you would need a twin impeller shower pump.

I'm sure stan can advise you on what you would need.

British Gas are installing the combi, was thinking of installing a system boiler but was advised to keep the new bathroom separate from the rest of the house

Was under the impression it would be easier this way

OP. Listen to Stan, he knows what he's talking about. Even if it's not what you want to hear.

A lot of dodgy guys out there will fill up and forget you exist with a sub standard system that won't suit your requirements.

Im sure he's now got his second, third and fourth opinion now.

back to the op, thinking about it, you would be worse off with an 80ltr unvented cylinder than with the combi feeding the shower.

your combi can supply an "unlimited" supply of hot water but with commonly a reduced performance over an unvented cylinder.

in your case performance would only be a marginal improvement but with a limited supply of hot water.

Not a case of not being interested, Stan was the only person advising this way until now

i understand there is a lot dodgy guys out there, that's is why I'm here asking for advice as I'm the one who will be parting with my money and I have to be happy as I explained to Stan

Yeah, easier to spec for the salesman in his suit who's probably clueless.

Get a proper outfit in. BG are rip off merchants

Out of curiosity OP, did anyone else actually bother testing your water pressure and flow?

Out of curiosity OP, did anyone else actually bother testing your water pressure and flow?

Yes I got Affinity Water to come out and test

I was gutted I got them them to come out after I had tiled my extension floors otherwise I would have got the pipe coming in upgraded

The guy told me I had 2 bar pressure and the water flow is good but gave no figure for the water flow

If it would be make it easier I will get someone in to test this again and give me figures for both

Pavement tells you nothing other than what you have in the street.

Stan has done the tests required to know how best to advise you.

Scrap BG. I'm willing to bet Stan can fit you a full system that will work properly for around the same or only a little more than you're paying BG for a combi. His rates are very fair - less than I would work for to be honest.

Also you won't have to pay £200 a year for a warranty.

Pavement tells you nothing other than what you have in the street.

Stan has done the tests required to know how best to advise you.

Scrap BG. I'm willing to bet Stan can fit you a full system that will work properly for around the same or only a little more than you're paying BG for a combi. His rates are very fair - less than I would work for to be honest.

Also you won't have to pay £200 a year for a warranty.

Thanks for the input

Now I have more than just a second opinion I can think about how I want to proceed with this

i just want the job so that I'm happy at the end and it looks like there is no point in me installing an unvented xulinder

thanks to everyone who has made a comment, you have all been very helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting of a Unvented Direct Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock