Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Fitting a sink strainer an easy job... in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Knowingistheunknown

Knowingistheunknown New Member

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice please, I'm trying to fit a sink strainer for the old man, simple job I thought. As you can see in the picture below the first picture is where the issue is the pipe has been modified before which doesn't let the pipe sit in the housing without it falling out. They are all 32mm piping, I'm just not sure what the best part is to get for it I thought maybe replacing the 90 bend but can't seem to find the right bit for that, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

20190210_120853.jpg

20190210_121411.jpg

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Looks a mess and will drain poorly
    Get a new trap kit and start again

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

The trap, white part, has been fitted the wrong way around probably because there's not a lot of fall available from the sink to the waste pipe to the right.

4. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Wow. Definitely new trap required

5. Knowingistheunknown

Now you've said that, that makes sense that will fix the issue. But I'd still need to replace the 90 bend as it's been cut and won't sit in the housing but it's not your standard bend I need can you help?

6. Knowingistheunknown

Think I would need to buy a new trap your just correct the old one

7. Riley

Wow. Definitely new trap required

8. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Double post?

9. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I hate that horrible grey waste kit. Get rid of it all, in my own personal opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Plumber Top Contributor!!

Yep they're horrible, replaced one a couple of months ago that had only been in for 12 months but was already leaking all over the place.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Looking at it, I reckon a good trap kit like the McAlpine 1 1/2 would leave the waste pipe exit too low to connect to the waste coming through the cabinet side.
    To be done properly that would need to be lowered. What's on the other side of that cabinet where the waste pipe goes through?

12. Knowingistheunknown

Just the exterior wall on the other side.
    I will look at lowering the waste pipe then.

13. Knowingistheunknown

I agree only done work on a few sinks in the past but this by far is the worst pipe work I've seen. Was thinking of replacing the whole lot but that would be a first for me, but I'm sure it will be fun yo learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. CBW1982

CBW1982 Member

X2 Mcalpine ASA10v traps, some elbows - possibly spigot ones as well, a tee and a coupling, ideally lower down. :cool:

15. Riley

Gotta get my figures up somehow :D

• Funny Funny x 3