Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Fitting a Basin vanity unit in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

Hi all,

I am looking into fitting a basin/vanity unit, the walls are made of breeze block (i think that is the name for them) and behind them is bricks.

If you look at picture (1) you will see what i am replacing and also see the wall i am dealing with.

Please note that the wall is going to have newly fitted plaster board and tiles on top, i will be fitting the basin/vanity unit after the tiles are up.

The size/weight of the basin/vanity is on picture (2)

I was thinking would a threaded rod with resin be suitable to keep the basin/vanity in place? if so how long of a threaded rod would i use, i.e would i have it long enough to go through the breeze block and into the bricks?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

All the best

Jay

1.jpg

2.jpg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Therma light block

TBH there worse than cheese take a flat headed screwdriver and scribe one you will see how soft they are

I doubt threaded rod and chems would hold I would try it first

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

No chance of a floating basin on that wall if secured to block, doesn't matter what fixings you use.
    Going through to the brick is an idea, cutting two channels for some 5x3 secured to the brick and floor is another, it's not load bearing under a window sill so channeling it shouldn't be an issue.
    The reason I'd prefer some wood is because if you drill through the block and secure to the brick only then you have 4-5 inches of bolt between the brick and basin that is supported by cheese, 29kg basin full with 5kg of water with someone leaning on it could be a little heavy for the fixing to be 5 inches away.
    Whatever you do, it needs to be solid and don't rely on any fixings going into blocks.

4. kris

kris Trusted Plumber GSR

I mean with a wall hung basin like that it's best to see no pipework at all , not even the waste ,,, but because your gonna see all your pipes going up into the unit then you should keep the 3 pipes together , central and against the wall and make a real neat little box to hide them and tile the box but make the box take the worst of the basin n units weight,,,,
    If it was my job I'd be putting in new waste below the floors and raggling walls to hide all pipes as seeing pipes and pipe boxes goes against my grain, but many are happy with pipe boxes,

5. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

Hi,

Thanks all for the replies, it has helped me decide on a different route (i like the easy route):)

The pipe situation there is not much i can do as it's a council property and the council have been around my home due to the neighbour complaining about us with the noise due to me removing the dot & dabs from the walls and the council was not happy and took pictures and said you must not make any more adjustments and said they will be back at a later date to see what i have done.

I think my best option would be to get a floor standing vanity unit like the following (pic 1)

And for the piping that will be left and right of it i was thinking of using boxing in, there is a site that make it to measure (pic 2)

My only real concern would be the adjustments i have to make to the cabinet for the piping, i don't mind losing the storage but am more worried that the cut outs i will have to make will hit the cabinet fixings that keep it togethor.

Good or Bad idea?

Jay

3-min.jpg

4-min.jpg

6. ShaunCorbs

Yep good idea

Is it rented ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

Yep, rented.

8. ShaunCorbs

Did you ask permission first ?

9. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

I did inform them i will be fully decorating the bathroom about 4 weeks ago, i think the people who came around was from the complaints department.....my neighbour has been a nightmare for us for over 5 years now...they even complained about my 5 year old playing swingball in the garden.

10. ShaunCorbs

Might of been worth just letting them know your plans eg refurbishing / changing the bathroom might of smoothed it out a bit / nothing would of been done then

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

A floor standing unit is a much better idea, let us know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

Trust me when i say this, no matter what i could of said to them it would of changed nothing, I have never in all my life came across people like them, they had to move from their previous address due to everyone hating them because what they they did to them is what they are now doing to us, I have a long list of the things they have done to us but telling them would like reading Lord of the Rings trilogy:eek:

Anyway, many thanks all for the tips/help

All the best

Jay

13. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

Will do, just gotta get the plaster boards up, then the tiling on walls and floor, new bath and new sink....will post piccys when done.