Search the forum,

Discuss First time poster: Swaging vs crimping - same thing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eahoop

Hi all,

Am involved in heated debate, so heated that I have registered here just to get my answer once and for all!

I know the term swaging is usually used to refer to the punch swage you hammer into the end of a pipe section to increase the end diameter.

But I'm seeing some instances of pipes which I would call crimped being referred to as 'swaged', and have found tools that I would previously have called crimping tools being sold as swaging tools. I can't post links because as a new member it won't let me!

My argument is that swaging is likely an umbrella term for all processes involving the use of a tool to alter the diameter of an end section of pipe; therefore a crimping tool is also a swaging tool.

My friend and colleague is convinced that the two are entirely separate and should not be referred to in the same instance.

This is only made more complicated by the existence of the sleeve-to-wire rope version of swaging, which is definitely ALSO called crimping.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you say only the traditional punch and die swages that we have traditionally called by the term count, or is crimping - being that it reduces the diameter of the end of a pipe - also a form of swaging?

Bonus question: What about flaring?

Let's settle this once and for all.

Thanks!

- E

Swage is not same as crimp. Unless u swage the pipe then crimp it around pipe of same dia?

But if you have swaged it, then its not the same diameter :)

Shame the worlds only problem isnt the mass debate on swage and/or crimp :)

Shame the worlds only problem isnt the mass debate on swage and/or crimp :)

True, Simon. But there's nothing like a good mass debate now and again to relieve tension...

OP - I would use the terms swaging and flaring interchangeably in this context. Crimping is different. But your point about swaging sleeves on to cables does throw a spanner into the works!

hqdefault.jpg

Both made with a tool you hammer in the end of the pipe.

Sadly anything that involves stretching the pipe is loosing popularity ,

thinning = weakening

Insurers don't like that !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to First time poster: Swaging vs crimping - same thing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock