Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss First Gas Safe Inspection in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Pipedreamer

Pipedreamer New Member

Hi Guys,

Hoping some of you can help me out slightly as I’m bricking it at the minute. I am going to register for my own Gas safety registration soon and am really worried about the inspection.
    I have always been under an employers registration and have never actually have a inspection of my own.
    I don’t really know what to expect and am worried as I don’t actually have any jobs of my own to take them to so not even sure how I could be inspected as such?

Any pointers would be

2. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

cut off in his prime .. Perhaps it was nerves? :eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Pipedreamer

Pipedreamer New Member

Haha I actually put s thumbs up but it hasn’t appeared!

4. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

That's cos you have to use the forums OWN emojis NOT the ones on your phone or whatever :confused:
    Glad you weren't hit by a bus anyway ;)
    There is a viscous rumour that one day UKPF might join the emoji 19th century. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You’re worried about something you haven’t got yet. Chill out. Relax. Your first inspection can be a family member if needed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Pipedreamer

Pipedreamer New Member

Yeah but they inspect you regardless don’t they so it is coming!

7. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

your first meet is to get on the regester , I doubt if he will want to see any of your work , or at least thats how it used to be .
    Lots of questions, concentrate on what he asks , and the most obvious one dont be a clever **** which I doubt you will , good luck .

• Like Like x 1
  8. Harvest Fields

The initial is as above a quick coffee and a chit chat. A few questions. If you don’t know don’t guess. Go and get the viper bible and get the answer he wants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Christopher buzzard

Christopher buzzard GSR

When I had my 1st inspection after getting my own registration last year he came to my house 1st. Few questions and chit chat. Then I took him to 2 installations and in 1 I did a tightness test and the other I had to do a gas rate. He checked through my benchmark paperwork and left. He covered the Ipswich area. Not sure if they do things differently up and down the country. I had 3 months to gather work to show him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Harvest Fields

Technically it should be the same everywhere.

11. Stu-B

Stu-B Member

Very informal, just chatted about where I’d worked and jobs i’d done, a few bits of tech talk and that was about it.
    I got the feeling that I was being grilled, and as long as I said the right things in the right lingo, it was ok for him, never even got my tools out.
    Let’s face it, I could teach my 6 y/o son to gas rate an appliance and do a tightness test, that’s the easy bit.
    Just take it all in your stride pal. :)

12. JKG

JKG New Member

There is nothing to worry about they understand that your nervous and really put you at ease.
    When I had mine it was just chat a few questions that you should know then he watched me commission a boiler that I’d just installed

13. Harvest Fields

Yet many people get both wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stu-B

Stu-B Member

People shouldn’t be doing either, best leave it to the experts

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Pipedreamer

Pipedreamer New Member

Cheers for the replies guys.
    So it’s likely that the first one will be informal and the second will be tonsee work?.

What type of questions did you guys get?.