Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Fire valve requirement in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Bogart

Bogart Active Member

How long has it been mandatory to install a fire valve in the fuel line when installing a new boiler to comply with Part J?
    Now could someone hazard a guess as to roughly how long to do the following.
    1 Remove an old oil fired boiler.
    2 Replace with a new oil fired boiler
    3 Install a 3m remote fire valve
    4. Tidy up afterwards.

I am asking this as have received a quote for the above work. Now 2 yrs ago I received a quote from the same firm for the exact same job, minus the fire valve, when I was told would be completed in a day. Now it is going to take 3 days!

2. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Could I suggest you get two more quotes

3. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

1 day for 6 people and 3 days for 2 people?

4. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

I first did my OFTEC in 2007 and it was a requirement then and long before that too I imagine. The oldest boilers I worked on were more than 20 years old in 2007 and they always had a fire valve too, usually an old type with a low melting point metal holding them open designed to melt in fire and close the oil supply. (called a fusible head valve I think)

More modern designs are of the capillary type with remote probe.

It's an absolute must, not an optional extra and has been so for "ages".

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 10:41 AM
  5. Bogart

Bogart Active Member

I find odd then that my quote of 2 years ago never mentioned it, maybe was included in the quote and not specifically mentioned.
    Am in the process of getting other quotes.

6. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I suggest you get more people in for quotes as obviously you dont trust this person.

A couple of possibilities is

1) he may of been a bit inexperienced at quoting and didnt write everything down and cut his time down to win jobs.

2) hes realised you need to allow more time to do the jobs properly

3) maybe he thinks your a time waster as hes been out to price for you twice for the same job so just added an extra day on as twit tax.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bogart

Bogart Active Member

He works for a much bigger concern so does not really affect him if the get the job or not so points 1 and 2 possibly not valid. On point 3 they know why nothing has happened in 2 years and are okay with it
    so do not thing they have loaded it intentionally.

8. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

A job like that could take at least one day and perhaps 3 days depending on how difficult each task is.
    I would think minimum 2 days not including a powerflush.

9. Riley

I think it’s just unrealistic expectation

10. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

On my own two days.
    Cleaner in for two weeks before change.

All depends on the job. Flueing, condensate etc.

11. Bogart

Bogart Active Member

Have not got around to asking what they intend to do with the condensate. Will need a soakaway as not on mains drainage.

12. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I'm not sure it wouldnt affect him as I dont think his boss will look at it and go ah well maybe next time.

I can just imagine the bosses at British gas saying to their sales men oh it doesn't matter if we get the installs or not and we wont sack you if you dont make so many sales.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

That's sorted easily enough with a ready made soakaway jobbie.

14. Riley

Lime clippings soakaway

15. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Can waste a few hours though with some. Took me about 4 hours to do all the digging etc on one job.