1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Finding Central Heating Pipes in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

  1. ScotchBros

    ScotchBros New Member

    Hi Everyone,

    I've lived in my flat for 25 years but have no idea where my central heating pipes go.

    My downstairs neighbour is claiming that a water leak is from me but it is in an area where I don't think there is any of my piping - I think its their mains pipe.

    I have tried crawling across the floor feeling for warm patches but there is 20cm of ash insulation between floors - it's an old tenement building - so feeling for hot spots isn't effective.

    Rather than tear up the floorboards etc. is there any easy way I can detect where my pipes go? They are copper.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

  2. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    What boiler do you have ?
  3. ScotchBros

    ScotchBros New Member

    My boiler is a Glow-worm Micron and does 30FF sound right for the capacity?
  4. DuncanM

    DuncanM Plumber GSR

    think that is open vent system? No pressure gauge on boiler? If not then it could be your heating pipes as you would never know about the leak. Water takes the easiest route and where it appears may not be the source. Only way I can think of to find it without lifting boards is to call in a specialist. They use a gas to fill empty pipes and use a sniffer to find the leak.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ScotchBros

    ScotchBros New Member

    Thanks Duncan - there is no pressure guage on the boiler. Noted on the specialist. Is that something my wonderful plumber could do or do I need a specialist company?
  6. DuncanM

    DuncanM Plumber GSR

    If he had the equipment he can. It's very expensive kit and probably not the type of thing a plumber invests in. That us what they specialise in so they spend the money on the kit. Might be able to hire it though.
  7. ScotchBros

    ScotchBros New Member

    Thanks Duncan.

    I'll ask him
  8. AMGasServices

    AMGasServices GSR

    If you’re insured let the insurance company deal with it.

    Thermal imaging camera may assist in tracing pipes but as stated above it’s an expensive piece of it.
  9. ScotchBros

    ScotchBros New Member

    Hi AMGas,
    If I was rock-solid sure the water was coming from me, I'd have no hesitation in going to my insurance co.

    It may be cheaper to get my tame builder to lift the floorboards then go to the insurer.

    Thank you for your advice.
  10. Chuck

    Chuck Well-Known Member

    I think you should consult your insurer regardless of whether you are sure or not. Your neighbour has accused you of damaging their property, which is a potential claim against your insurance. Your insurer should certainly be able to give guidance on how you need to proceed.
  11. scott_d

    scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Get the flat below to make a home in their ceiling below the leak and see what it is
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Pickwickpick

    Pickwickpick Plumber

    Worth a try although worth pointing out that that there is no guarantee the leak is directly above the damp area on downstairs ceiling, water and humidity can follow some convuluted journeys!
    • Agree Agree x 1
Similar Threads - Finding Central Heating Forum Date
I am looking for help with my NVQ L2 Maintenance and Fault finding Plumbing Forum Apr 28, 2019
Safe pH range in central heating water Plumbing Forum Jul 2, 2019