Search the forum,

Discuss Filling Lop Handle Leaking Baxi Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a Baxi avanta plus combi boiler and the feed loop is leaking on the boiler side tap. I plan to get a new loop on the way home but was wondering if my plan to replace it is sound.

1. Turn of the mains and run kitchen sink tap to drain the pipes.
2. Turn off the flow into the boiler (pipe connected to the filling loop) using the valve screw on the boiler which I will need to locate first.
3. Replace broken loop with new loop.

Here's some photos of the loop

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XwWm8ducEJKAcKfK9

Would have to drain the boiler / system down first but yea

If I completely isolate the loop valve (disconnect mains... in turn off the valve to the boiler) then why would I need to drain the system and boiler? Forgive my ignorance.

Because your replacing the boiler fill valve correct ?

Yes.. the filling loop...I was hoping that I would be able to turn off the connection to the boiler... and then the mains off too so no water is connected to the filling loop at all..Then remove the filling loop and replace.

Yes.. the filling loop...I was hoping that I would be able to turn off the connection to the boiler... and then the mains off too so no water is connected to the filling loop at all..Then remove the filling loop and replace.

Need to drain down sorry to say as it's connected to the heating pipework and not the boiler

Funnily enough I did exactly this yesterday. If you are feeling brave, then:

1. Prepare the valve to go on the return pipe end by removing the compression nut and washer. I smeared a little Jet Lube V2 over the inside end of the valve where the olive will sit. Turn the valve to closed.
2. Turn off incoming cold water main, and drain residual water per your point 1.
3. Turn off the return valve from the boiler once you've identified it.
4. Slacken the compression nut holding the flexi to the return pipe and drain the water off into a bucket / bowl. It won't stop altogether but should slow to a trickle once the pressure is out of the system.
5. Undo the compression nut fully while holding the valve body in place as tight as you can get it.
6. Remove old valve / loop, and whip the new valve on, again holding as tight as possible.
7. Do the old compression nut up as hand tight as you can get it, then, holding the valve with another spanner / grips, do the compression nut up tight (another 1/2 turn or thereabouts).
8. Replace the valve on the cold side.
9. Fit the flexi and ensure all is tight.
10 Turn return valve under boiler back on again, and re-pressurise the boiler.

You'll lose some water at steps 4 / 5, but with the pressure released and the boiler isolated it shouldn't be much.

The above worked for me, as I didn't want to drain down and lose all the inhibitor. The system I worked on had all copper pipework and standard compression fittings.

Thanks steadyon

Regardless of if I decide to do it or not it does seem that it is possible to do without draining the entire system and losing your inhibitor and the extra messing about.

Also I found a guy on youtube with a good guide.

Is this forum just for professional plumbers or are DIYers also ok to post? Don't want to offend anyone.

Thanks

Funnily enough I did exactly this yesterday. If you are feeling brave, then:

1. Prepare the valve to go on the return pipe end by removing the compression nut and washer. I smeared a little Jet Lube V2 over the inside end of the valve where the olive will sit. Turn the valve to closed.
2. Turn off incoming cold water main, and drain residual water per your point 1.
3. Turn off the return valve from the boiler once you've identified it.
4. Slacken the compression nut holding the flexi to the return pipe and drain the water off into a bucket / bowl. It won't stop altogether but should slow to a trickle once the pressure is out of the system.
5. Undo the compression nut fully while holding the valve body in place as tight as you can get it.
6. Remove old valve / loop, and whip the new valve on, again holding as tight as possible.
7. Do the old compression nut up as hand tight as you can get it, then, holding the valve with another spanner / grips, do the compression nut up tight (another 1/2 turn or thereabouts).
8. Replace the valve on the cold side.
9. Fit the flexi and ensure all is tight.
10 Turn return valve under boiler back on again, and re-pressurise the boiler.

You'll lose some water at steps 4 / 5, but with the pressure released and the boiler isolated it shouldn't be much.

The above worked for me, as I didn't want to drain down and lose all the inhibitor. The system I worked on had all copper pipework and standard compression fittings.

Your more than welcome to post diyers are welcome

Reply to Filling Lop Handle Leaking Baxi Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock