Search the forum,

Discuss fed up with Ideal boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blondie

Hi

I dont know if anyone can help, but, Im so fed up with problems from our boiler. We have an Ideal HE24 ICOS system, its just about 4 years old. It
hasnt been a problem till the last few weeks, but it now seems to be ongoing probs. It stopped working(it went on after reset button pressed, but eventually stopped working altogther) the plumber said it was a gasket. He replaced that after a few days waiting - it had been leaking water. It was also making a loud vibrating noise that came in bursts - it would make the noise about six times then stop, then it would happen again. AFter gasket replaced it had leaked more - a tube had come loose or not been replaced sufficiently when the boiler was checked - it needed a new electrode then circuit board, it had leaked into gas valve but they were able to get that out without replacing it. It has been OK for about a week/10 days, but the noise has returned. It started about 11pm last night, it even made the noise even when water/CH off during night, its doing it quite alot now. I got plumber out again but he didnt hear the noise when he was here, he said he would call Ideal for advice. Im concerned its something that will do more damage. He said there was no further leakage and everything seemed OK. Can anyone help and would it be better to switch off altogether?

Last edited by a moderator:
this does not help but bin it and get something more reliable,ideal? far from it!!!!

Hi
My plumber agrees, but the annoying thing for us is that this is a new build house only 4 yrs old, we didnt get to choose the heating system, and surely it shouldnt be completely knackered already! Can you think what this noise could be. Its a low reverberating noise. The boiler's in the loft but it woke me up though the night. As I said Im just concerned its doing more damage.

the problem with this boiler is, once you start fixing it - it seems non stop, it will last for a week or two then the next problem occurs. as above - bin it cut losses and start again.

Agree with above,you have hit the four year itch,the only problem is you may have spent alot on parts already,but if you keep boiler,will spend a lot more,if you do replace,try selling parts from your existing ideal boiler to try to get some of the money back,knowing this boiler there will be plenty of demand for the parts :(

[FONT=&quot]I don’t totally agree with comments made, to bin the boiler at this stage as it’s only 4 years old, it’s not the best boiler around admittedly but you have already spent a small fortune on it and it is now working. I don’t quite understand why the noise is heard when the boiler is turned off unless you have a frost stat cutting in overnight. I would have said the noise was a result of the rubber seal fitted to the flue connection (inside boiler at top)where the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Flue turret joins the flue casting, [/FONT][FONT=&quot] as I have come across it before on the Icos/Isar models but that was only when the boiler was running. Are you sure the noise is from the boiler? Hope this helps,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Martin.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

These boilers MUST have the new ionisation probes fitted, If they haven't got them, the insulation will fall forward and direct the flame to the combustion box...don't half make a mess!! If anyone comes across one that has a melted / damaged combustion box...then ideal will replace the boiler. Just had one this last week. Agree with all ..awful boilers

[FONT=&quot]I don’t totally agree with comments made, to bin the boiler at this stage as it’s only 4 years old, it’s not the best boiler around admittedly but you have already spent a small fortune on it and it is now working. I don’t quite understand why the noise is heard when the boiler is turned off unless you have a frost stat cutting in overnight. I would have said the noise was a result of the rubber seal fitted to the flue connection (inside boiler at top)where the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Flue turret joins the flue casting, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]as I have come across it before on the Icos/Isar models but that was only when the boiler was running. Are you sure the noise is from the boiler? Hope this helps,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Martin.[/FONT]

100 % agree, most probably the inner flue seal inside the turret, it slowly starts to rise on the older models until its enough to make a vibration which can get very loud as it amplifies through the boiler. On the newer models there's a weight that sits on top of it to hold it down. Have you ever had it serviced?

Last edited:
Hi
sorry just getting back to this forum, my boiler is in the loft space, i cant get up there easily(Bad back), but the noise is definately coming from the area where the boiler is, but it could easily be the flue. We've had it serviced and the plumber who did the repair said he has serviced again. It was making the noise when there was the leak and when that was eventually fixed it stopped. As I said before it started again a week/10days later. Its been doing it all weekend, every half hour/40mns or sooner sometimes, its a bit like a fog horn/pnuematic drill and it definately does it when the heating and HW are NOT on, Ive got them on timed and it does it through the night too. I havent heard back from the plumber today re call to IDeal. ANy help greatly appreciated

Hi
sorry just getting back to this forum, my boiler is in the loft space, i cant get up there easily(Bad back), but the noise is definately coming from the area where the boiler is, but it could easily be the flue. We've had it serviced and the plumber who did the repair said he has serviced again. It was making the noise when there was the leak and when that was eventually fixed it stopped. As I said before it started again a week/10days later. Its been doing it all weekend, every half hour/40mns or sooner sometimes, its a bit like a fog horn/pnuematic drill and it definately does it when the heating and HW are NOT on, Ive got them on timed and it does it through the night too. I havent heard back from the plumber today re call to IDeal. ANy help greatly appreciated

When its cold in the middle of the night the boiler will fire up via a frost stat to protect boiler and pipework from freezing. Noise sounds like a fan/flue problem which is easily fixed and cheap!!

The ÂŁ50 thing comes as an insurance policy, think it's a ÂŁ9 a month contract (ÂŁ108 p.a.) Have to agree that BG are expensive though (except the contract just mentioned), however you get what you pay for. Homeserve are absolutely atrocious and the vast majority of BG customers I see are more than content. There's always gonna b negatives from people with an axe to grind against a big company...can't begrudge people that because price is an issue. At present there is a transition from Sales people to experienced engineers quoting for boilers..the prices are vastly lower. Think it's overdue. All that said BG will be a good deal with all the "bells and whistles" plus add ons

Some British Gas service plans cover both boiler & system repair, having said that, they often exclude anything that in their opinion is scale or sludge related (read those terms and conditions).
Many local council and Housing Association service contracts are modeled on the old BG's 3 star plan.

Here are some examples:

[FONT=&quot]HomeCare 100 ÂŁ13 per month - [/FONT]Boiler and controls only[FONT=&quot] (1)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HomeCare 200 ÂŁ17 per month - +[/FONT] Radiators + Central Heating pipework / hot water cylinder [FONT=&quot] (2)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HomeCare 300 ÂŁ22.50 per month + [/FONT]Internal hot and cold water supply pipes + Cold water tank + Internal and external drains (3) [FONT=&quot] (2)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HomeCare 400 ÂŁ27 per month + [/FONT]Existing electrical wiring and fixtures [FONT=&quot](2)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Or [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HomeCare 100 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ÂŁ10.50 a month with HomeCare Flexi (4) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Or [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HomeCare 200 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ÂŁ12.50 a month with HomeCare Flexi (4) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Or [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HomeCare 300 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ÂŁ15 a month with HomeCare Flexi (4) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Or [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HomeCare 400 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ÂŁ18 a month with HomeCare Flexi (4) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Prices available to new customers for the 1st year
Prices available to new customers for the 1st year who apply online
Excludes shared drains
4. HomeCare Flexi - a low monthly fee, with a £50 fixed fee for each completed repair †.

† Price per fault and related faults only. Additional faults charged separately.
Terms and Conditions apply.[/FONT]
Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
100 % agree, most probably the inner flue seal inside the turret, it slowly starts to rise on the older models until its enough to make a vibration which can get very loud as it amplifies through the boiler. On the newer models there's a weight that sits on top of it to hold it down. Have you ever had it serviced?
Hi again, Ive just got plumber again, thankfully the noise occurred when they were here. It looks like you're right - the seal in the flue was not fitted right and its being replaced. I think Ideal had given them pointers to try but I mentioned what you said and when the noise was made they checked the flue. They're just fixing it, so hopefully that will be it. Thanks for your help.:):) Did you think British Gas' scheme was worthwhile?

Oh Dear - I spoke to soon:(:(:(. Im really at the end of my tether. The noise is now worse and Ive got water coming from the flue onto my drive.The boiler is on the gable wall.
I think the plumber may be making it worse. The noise is like a ships horn. Ive had to put the boiler off as it must be affecting my neighbours. The noise was happening more often and going on for longer. The plumber took off the pipe to the flue, replaced the seal and said the flue hadnt been pulled through enough, whatever that means. He then said it was the fan. He said he had tried everything that Ideal suggested. But the noise happened again, louder and more frequent when he left.
The strange thing is that the heating is working. Its just this dreadful noise. It still happens when the heating is not on with the timer, but when the boiler is switched off it stops. Ive really had enough now. Ive now had to switch it off because of the racket, I cant disturb people, especially as it goes on through the night.:(

Just a thought, if someone has changed the main PCB I wonder if they have put the jumpers back in the right positions? I koow that the same board fits a range of models and the position of the jumpers is very important. I have never come across the ideal boiler where the noise was not down to the flue connection but I have seen a Vaillant Ecomax pro 18e where the main pcb was set up for the 28e model, the noise was like a fog horn and could be heard down the street, hope this helps,
Martin

Oh Dear - I spoke to soon:(:(:(. Im really at the end of my tether. The noise is now worse and Ive got water coming from the flue onto my drive.The boiler is on the gable wall.
I think the plumber may be making it worse. The noise is like a ships horn. Ive had to put the boiler off as it must be affecting my neighbours. The noise was happening more often and going on for longer. The plumber took off the pipe to the flue, replaced the seal and said the flue hadnt been pulled through enough, whatever that means. He then said it was the fan. He said he had tried everything that Ideal suggested. But the noise happened again, louder and more frequent when he left.
The strange thing is that the heating is working. Its just this dreadful noise. It still happens when the heating is not on with the timer, but when the boiler is switched off it stops. Ive really had enough now. Ive now had to switch it off because of the racket, I cant disturb people, especially as it goes on through the night.:(

Ok, the dripping water is condensation which should run back to the boiler so i should say your flue is probably falling the wrong way or is level, If its level the condense will stay in your flue and can rot your flue exhaust which will cause the fog horn noise exactly the same as the dodgy seal your man replaced. When the seal was changed do you know if he removed flue and inspected it? There are other things that can cause this such as fan speed problems(fan or pcb fault) or a dodgy gas valve but i cant remember the last time i needed to replace a part for this problem (if ever). If the flue cant be removed you can still inspect it by taking the flue turret off and getting a torch in there.

Hope this helps.

Ive really had enough now, the flue had apparently been put in level by the plumber the developer had. Its ironic because the developer owns a plumbing firm. Anyway the gas valve has now gone and the heating is not working. Im at the stage now should I just put in a new boiler. I have to have the flue repositioned and even if the valve is replaced, will it need more work down the line. Is a Worcester Bosch boiler reliable? I still cant believe this has happened after 4 years. Its a disgrace.:mad::mad::mad:

I'm sure BG do have happy customers, but there seems to be quite a few unhappy ones as well.

All feedback is that of the poster. And opinions are just that...opinions.

Ive decided to put in a new boiler, its just getting too expensive with all the parts and labour and even if the gas valve is replaced it might not solve all the issues with the noise. It seems that because the flue was not fiited correctly this has corroded parts in the boiler. The plumber fits Bosch boilers so I hope they are more reliable than Ideal.

For the future is a scheme like British Gas Homecare worth it - without too many arguments!!

Thanks for all the advicexxx

I have had an Ideal Isar for 5 years and it has broke down at least twice a year since it was 2 year old..

It has just about been completely rebuilt by my boiler insurance... i too am going to replace it this year.

I do not want another winter having to wait around 2 weeks for engineers to come out and then have to order parts.

New boiler for me..

worcestor bosch or remeha for me....

big things coming from remeha in next year or two and now the prices are lower than wb.

i like worcestors though :)

like for like no more than 1800 or i'll come and do it for you lol

think it may have advertantly been bounced around and lost gas man, unintentionally.
unlike heating-eng.

I'm sure BG do have happy customers, but there seems to be quite a few unhappy ones as well.

All feedback is that of the poster. And opinions are just that...opinions.

Think you're quite right Dave. There are also quite a lot of unhappy Engineers at the moment. Those up the top make life very difficult for those at the coal face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fed up with Ideal boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock