Search the forum,

Discuss Fast trackers versus apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anth

Hi everyone

I am new to the site have read a lot of threads about fast track courses. I have recently being laid off, first time since i left school and its ****. I have been thinking about doing a fast track course to becoming a plumber and going self employed. I know all the well experienced guys on here will probably be thinking, oh no not another one. Here is the question, there are a lot of anti fast track comments on this site. I have been working on gas pipes for the last 7 yrs and gained all qualifications (inc nvq portfolio)needed to becoming a service layer. Before that, a time served toolmaker. I am 32 and thought about a fast track course. At the age of 32 how else am i supposed to get into the plumbing trade other that fast track. No companys are taking men on. No apprenticeships are available for us over 25s and fast track seems to be the only other way. Plumbing seems the obvious choice for me to go self employed. Yes at first i may not have all the experience req'd to call myself a qualified plumber, but who ever does.
Even though i work on gas piping for seven years, you are always learning. Even some of the guys who had done it thirty years did not know ever thing. We all need to start off slowly somewhere whatever path you chose. Why are most against fast trackers when all they are trying to do is get a foot on the ladder, earn some money and support there wife and children. In this world of doom and gloom at the moment when lots of people are out of work and the government cant offer/does not want to offer you anything, these fast track courses for whatever profession, offer us lot, a glimmer of hope.

I have been looking at a lot of courses for weeks now and i am sceptical about quite a few. Its not the course its self that may seem daunting it is the on site work that will be different. When i trained for my gas tickets it was done over one week class room and ten weeks portfolio on site. However i had been a labourer for 2 yrs prior to this, which was invaluable experience. You still learn from the more experienced guys, tricks of the trade if you like. If i fast track as a plumber the practical and theory i honestly cant see being a problem. If i go self employed (scary)how could you do nvq level 2 with no supervisor to sign off jobs. Then theres the prospect of your first job in the real world with no previous on site experiance. Dont get me wrong, at first it would be daunting it always is. it comes to confidence and not taking on something you have no idea about or not qualified to do. As most people in this forum have said they wont touch a fast tracker, self employed seems the only way to go. Shame really, considering that a fast tracker shells out five grand of there hard earned savings. Is probably middle aged meaning probably has a family to support, so probably more reliable and maybe harder working than any school leaver or doley with no responsibilitys. There used to be a time where companys would favour the family man to the singleton on the basis he had a family and could not afford to have a day off, and work all the extra hours just to support his family.
Obviously not in plumbing. I am not here to offend any one it is just the impression i am getting from the threads i have read. I know feel like abandoning the thought of becoming a plumber and asking Mcdonalds for a job.

Anth

You're in the same boat as me and yes it is one BIG roller coaster ride! Stick with it! My over-riding thought is I will be the master of my own destiny one day (to a certain extent) when I eventually go self employed.

Try and get work experience with a local plumber -It will be invaluable. You'll be surprised how much confidence it gives, especially with your background. Be prepared to work hard and you stand a good chance of succeeding.

As for the Fast Track courses, I hate the idea of them but when you have a familly to support and a limited amount of time to learn its really the only option available. As you have said choose the centre carefully as there are a lot of sharks out there.

As suggested by the majority on this forum just use it as a step into plumbing and take it from there. With hard work....

Good Luck!

Cheers Xengstu

Still thinking about becoming a plumber, dont think i could stick Mcdonalds. I like work to be a bit more practical. Being self employed really appeals to me but like you say on site experience is invaluable. In both professions i have been in especially in the gas pipe renewal industry i have known lads that had no qualifications but could do the job better than some qualified guys. All down to experience. The only other down side is, if i do take the plunge and do a fast track course, is finding employment afterwards. Could anyone tell me if the industry is slowing down. Always reading uk is short of plumbers. I know a couple of plumbers who seem do be doing ok. Not making tens of thousands like you see being advertised, but seem to have a steady income.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fast trackers versus apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock