Search the forum,

Discuss Fast track gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Yep that's what we've all been told, I'm going into the training centre tomorrow so I'll see if I can get a link to something official off them.
Will be surprised if you do. Sounds like coda wallop to me

So you are saying that a newly qualified engineer cannot service a gas fire or cooker? Can you post the proper link please mate

Just had quick look on the site for the firm I'm training with:

I've cut out the relevant bits:

The Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme (ACS) is being updated* to ensure installers are experienced before they add to their existing training.

From the 1st October 2018, candidates will have to prove that they have been on the Gas Safety Register for at least six months in order to:

• Extend Scope: Moving from one sector to another e.g. Domestic to Commercial, Catering or LPG changeover.
  • Extend Range: Remaining within the sector but adding additional appliances or modules e.g. holding CCN1 & CENWAT and adding Fires (HTR1) or Cookers (CKR1).
Which courses does this affect?

New Entrants

Domestic Gas Heating Installer – New Entrants Package

Domestic Gas Heating Installer – Experienced Trades MLP

Here's the link to the full bit:ACS Gas Changes 2018 – What you need to know? - Logic4training

Will be surprised if you do. Sounds like coda wallop to me

If you check out the link in my previous post it specifically notes:
"Please note: These changes are nationwide and are not coming from Logic4training. All training centres in the UK will have to adhere to the new requirements."

It does seem ridiculous, have heard a couple of different theories off tutors as to the thinking behind it. Some think its part of tightening up on these fast track courses, they want you to spend your first 6 months working on boilers as they see them as less risky than cookers & fires. Others think its to make it harder for people to do these fast track course and then just do landlord certs without having any real hands on experience.

If you check out the link in my previous post it specifically notes:
"Please note: These changes are nationwide and are not coming from Logic4training. All training centres in the UK will have to adhere to the new requirements."

It does seem ridiculous, have heard a couple of different theories off tutors as to the thinking behind it. Some think its part of tightening up on these fast track courses, they want you to spend your first 6 months working on boilers as they see them as less risky than cookers & fires. Others think its to make it harder for people to do these fast track course and then just do landlord certs without having any real hands on experience.
But most properties have a boiler cooker and fire. Here is a link I just looked at and it say nothing.
New Entry Level Category 3 ACS Domestic Gas Safety Training Courses in Hull blended Hull Gas Training Hull Ltd | Emagister

But most properties have a boiler cooker and fire. Here is a link I just looked at and it say nothing.
New Entry Level Category 3 ACS Domestic Gas Safety Training Courses in Hull blended Hull Gas Training Hull Ltd | Emagister

Yep, so doing landlord certs won't be an option for the first 6 months on the register, you're basically limited to boiler installs, repairs & servicing.

Here's another one:

Major changes those undertaking Gas Training Courses NEED to know about

1.IGEM Gas Management Learning Programme - Consisting of...

• Gas Training at a recognised centre
  • Work Portfolio
  • Gaining the relevant awarding body training certificate
2.ACS Assessments

3.Registering with Gas safe

4.6 Months industry experience

5.Additional Appliance Assessments

The Difference

Prior to these changes, students would have been able to extend their appliance scope after completing their CCN1 Assessments but there was no requirement to be Gas Safe Registered to do such additional assessments.

As stated above, the new requirements have been put in place with the public's best interests in mind as it's argued many aspiring Gas Engineer's simply are not competent enough to fully digest and apply their existing skills before extending their scope.

The above is an explanation another tutor gave us.

e2a: just edited the quote, i'd not copied & pasted the time line initially

• Thats from one of the training centre certification you get
  • CCN1 - Domestic core gas safety; this is mandatory when you want to work on appliances
  • CENWAT - The installation and repair of domestic central heating boilers
  • CKR1 - The installation and repair of domestic cooking appliances
  • HTR1 - The installation and repair of domestic space heating appliances
  • WRAS - Logic Certified Water Regulations
  • G3 Unvented - G3 Unvented Cylinders
  • Electrical Safe Isolation - VRQ Safe Isolation
  • Asbestos Awareness - VRQ Asbestos training and Assessment
  • Health and Safety - VRQ Health and Safety Course

This is the other one

Qualifications and Training Attained on the Course:
CCN1 – This is the core gas safety certificate which all gas operatives must have to work in the domestic gas industry.
CPA1 – Characteristics of combustion and use of a flue gas analyser.
CENWAT – Installation, service repair and commission of domestic central heating boilers and water heaters.
CKR1 – Installation, exchange, disconnection, servicing and repair of domestic gas cooking appliances.
HTR1 - IInstallation, exchange, disconnection, servicing and repair of gas fires and wall heaters.
Qualifications and Training Added to the Course:
Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems – Installation, servicing and maintenance of unvented hot water systems from 15 to 500 litres.
System Design and Fault Finding – Our own system design and fault-finding course aimed at giving you a better understanding of how central heating systems and boilers work.
• Basic Plumbing
• Basic Electrical Appreciation
• Safe Isolation

I have just renewed my ACS and I was the only RGI there. The other 5 members on the ACS examination were all finishing their 8 week block course which IIRC they paid £5500 for.

I was the only one to pass and some of the questions they were asking me on their lunch breaks were laughable.
I was asking why he couldn't solder a joint the week before even though the pipes were cleaned and fluxed etc.
Turns out he thought you could solder with water in the pipes.

TL;DR - You cannot buy experience, so no, it is unlikely you will get a gas/plumbing job after doing a quick course.

An apprenticeship is the best way.

I have just renewed my ACS and I was the only RGI there. The other 5 members on the ACS examination were all finishing their 8 week block course which IIRC they paid £5500 for.

I was the only one to pass and some of the questions they were asking me on their lunch breaks were laughable.
I was asking why he couldn't solder a joint the week before even though the pipes were cleaned and fluxed etc.
Turns out he thought you could solder with water in the pipes.

TL;DR - You cannot buy experience, so no, it is unlikely you will get a gas/plumbing job after doing a quick course.

An apprenticeship is the best way.
I have look at trying to get apprenticeship but at my age i think its very unlikely to get one thats why i wanted to do one of these course and work a long side a plumber for experience

I have look at trying to get apprenticeship but at my age i think its very unlikely to get one thats why i wanted to do one of these course and work a long side a plumber for experience

Then maybe your best bet is to get with an RGI at weekends free of charge whilst doing college?

I am unsure to be honest.

The way this countries system works, it is set up to train young people, unfortunately, not the older generation.

I qualified as an engineer from South Lanarkshire College & out of 16 who passed only myself and 1 other are working. Unless you know someone in the industry you are up against it. The Smart Meter route is now gone as the college promised us all jobs but it never happened. Fortunately I showed how committed I was and got a good reference for a job but feel for my classmates who worked hard in a year to get their ACS etc..

I qualified as an engineer from South Lanarkshire College & out of 16 who passed only myself and 1 other are working. Unless you know someone in the industry you are up against it. The Smart Meter route is now gone as the college promised us all jobs but it never happened. Fortunately I showed how committed I was and got a good reference for a job but feel for my classmates who worked hard in a year to get their ACS etc..
I contacted doith Lanarkshire college to do there foundation gas course but there never had any at night or at weekends do you think that course is a waste of time if some of your class mates arent in a job?

I contacted doith Lanarkshire college to do there foundation gas course but there never had any at night or at weekends do you think that course is a waste of time if some of your classmates arent in a job?

It isn't that they are a waste of time mate, nothing is a waste of time when learning.
The problem is, you have young people doing 3 year apprenticeships, on the job everyday, going for the same job as you would be after qualifying.

Now as an employer, would you rather employ somebody with 8 weeks experience or 3 years for the same money? It's just the way it is I am afraid.

I contacted doith Lanarkshire college to do there foundation gas course but there never had any at night or at weekends do you think that course is a waste of time if some of your class mates arent in a job?

you do your Gas Foundationin the 1st 6mths F/T & then you do your ACS. They spoke of doing the ACS at the end of the 6mths & everyone getting a job in Smart meters as a start but we ended up doing it in month 12 and smart metering jobs didnt happen.
Not going to lie, it's hard going as it's studying every night and if you want to come out on top then it takes a lot of sacrifice especially with weekends etc.. Its what you put into it. You get funding for the course if accepted so you wouldn't pay for it and would also get a Bursary and help with your mortgage/rent which helped me.
You should contact the college for more info but try suss out a company just now to do your portfolio with. Not gona lie its not easy but I'm enjoying my Job & want to work for myself in a couple years but you need experience with a Firm after you qualify that gives you the support. That's my opinion anyway.

Hope this helps

you do your Gas Foundationin the 1st 6mths F/T & then you do your ACS. They spoke of doing the ACS at the end of the 6mths & everyone getting a job in Smart meters as a start but we ended up doing it in month 12 and smart metering jobs didnt happen.
Not going to lie, it's hard going as it's studying every night and if you want to come out on top then it takes a lot of sacrifice especially with weekends etc.. Its what you put into it. You get funding for the course if accepted so you wouldn't pay for it and would also get a Bursary and help with your mortgage/rent which helped me.
You should contact the college for more info but try suss out a company just now to do your portfolio with. Not gona lie its not easy but I'm enjoying my Job & want to work for myself in a couple years but you need experience with a Firm after you qualify that gives you the support. That's my opinion anyway.

Hope this helps
Was it hard to get a job after you had finished the course? Hiw long did it take you ? City of glasgow college do the gas foundation course one day a week for 6 months am looking at that the now failing that i will go to skills training group

Was it hard to get a job after you had finished the course? Hiw long did it take you ? City of glasgow college do the gas foundation course one day a week for 6 months am looking at that the now failing that i will go to skills training group

Its more of who you know when you qualify as although you have the required certificates Employers are only interested in experience and how are you meant to get experience unless someone gives you a chance????? Catch 22 hence why you really need to know someone within a company to help get you started

Its more of who you know when you qualify as although you have the required certificates Employers are only interested in experience and how are you meant to get experience unless someone gives you a chance????? Catch 22 hence why you really need to know someone within a company to help get you started
Yeah like most jobs need so many years experience but you cant get experience without some company taken a chance on you but in saying that skills training group has a work placement in place for your portfolio hopefully that company may take me on after that

Yeah like most jobs need so many years experience but you cant get experience without some company taken a chance on you but in saying that skills training group has a work placement in place for your portfolio hopefully that company may take me on after that

Don't be dragged into that thought of the placement company maybe taking you on. Everyone always thinks that buddy

Hi @Pickwickpick

From your post above it looks like you are doing your gas with Logic4training?

I am thinking of doing the same, would you recommend it?

How is the course going?

Thanks

Sorry about the delay @WC1 in getting back to you, last week was crazy work wise thanks to a customer doubling the amount of work in a week where I had another job with imovable deadlines, leading to 14h+days and then just sleeping all weekend. Had tried to pm you but won't seem to let me.

Yes I am using Logic4training, I went with them as I'd had a couple of word of mouth recommendations and unlike other training centers I contacted they weren't doing too much of a hard sell.

I think they are probably about as good as can be within the confines of this sort of course and the tutors I've had have all been really good, passionate about gas, good fun and really keen on passing on their knowledge and best practice. The course has worked quite well for me as have bout 6yrs experience plumbing as sole trader, got taught a lot when I was young by family that are in the trade including more recently helping out my uncle up in Manchester who has been doing gas for 40yrs.

During the MLP (the main 3 week tution with some tests at the end of it which you have to complete before you can do CCN1, the final exam once portfolio signed off) we were in class of 10, about half of us with plumbing experience and about half with none, they did a 4 week 'plumbing' course before hand and I really don't see how they are going to be able to work in the field and it was a bit frustrating at times having some of them slowing things down quite a bit, but think that's going to be the case on any of these courses.

The other thing that I like about them is that they have booted out people that are clearly not cut out for it/dangerous, know that not all training centers would do that.

On a whole if this sort of course is the right thing for you I would recommend them. You will learn the safety side of things, but won't really get that much practical experience, if that makes sense. e.g. you will know rules and regs, how do all the safety checks, but there won't be any practice in actually fitting a boiler, repairing a boiler, doing pipework... Do you know how you would go about doing the portfolio side of things?

Happy to chat more about it/answer any questions, just drop us a pm or something

Had tried to pm you but won't seem to let me.
Haha! I would say the same, I tried to pm you but couldn't.
I've changed my settings, give it another go when you have a minute ;)

Screenshot_20190311-220731_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190311-220638_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reply to Fast track gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock