Search the forum,

Discuss Fast Track courses what's the truth? Ex Military, needs advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Yep as kop says the self employed route is a hell of a lot of work and it is things like the paperwork, quotes, tax returns... That eat up half or your life. Then there's the stress of no holiday pay or sick pay and knowing that getting I'll could throw serious spanner in the works. But could never go back to working for someone.

there was an RFA tanker berthed alongside in Freetown next to the army field hospital, we used to come in alongside the tanker for a few days before going out again.
Was that the one that was therelong term? If so that was the one we were based on.

Yep as kop says the self employed route is a hell of a lot of work and it is things like the paperwork, quotes, tax returns... That eat up half or your life. Then there's the stress of no holiday pay or sick pay and knowing that getting I'll could throw serious spanner in the works. But could never go back to working for someone.

luckily for me I have spent the last 4 years running funds and accounts, asset management and auditing. My wife is also AAT trained and works in finance. The book keeping side and invoicing etc will actually be the easiest part of it for me.

Not bothered about the long days, I've done my fair share of 80+ hour weeks over the years. As long as I get to sleep in my own bed at home I am not bothered. I just don't think I could work 9-5 in a office watching what I say and being bored

Not bothered about the long days, I've done my fair share of 80+ hour weeks over the years. As long as I get to sleep in my own bed at home I am not bothered. I just don't think I could work 9-5 in a office watching what I say and being bored[/QUOTE]
I’ll second that.

What work do you want to do?
Just be aware a fast track course is to teach you how to pass the exams. You then need a way to gain some experience.
You will also need a few grand for tools, van stock and the deposit for that transporter.

Just be aware a fast track course is to teach you how to pass the exams. You then need a way to gain some experience.
You will also need a few grand for tools, van stock and the deposit for that transporter.
He will have done full service mate. He could take a lump Sum out of his pension. Money probably isn’t an issue if I’m honest.

Agree with
@Chalked
However, mate of mine was trying to set up a year or two ago and IIRC most insurers will want a formal nationally recognised qualification if they are going to insure for ANY plumbing work. Might want to check that out. Good luck

Agree with
@Chalked
However, mate of mine was trying to set up a year or two ago and IIRC most insurers will want a formal nationally recognised qualification if they are going to insure for ANY plumbing work. Might want to check that out. Good luck
But for gas work. ACS & Gas Safe Registration will be enough.

As @Harvest Fields says, I get over £40k lump sum when I leave, I don't have to use it to buy a house or anything so it's basically there if I need it, I was thinking along the lines of leasing a van (Depreciating asset head on) and about £10k for everything else. I don't know., I keep second guessing myself... maybe they need locksmiths lol

As @Harvest Fields says, I get over £40k lump sum when I leave, I don't have to use it to buy a house or anything so it's basically there if I need it, I was thinking along the lines of leasing a van (Depreciating asset head on) and about £10k for everything else. I don't know., I keep second guessing myself... maybe they need locksmiths lol
Never second guess yourself mate. The military has taught you that. Go with what you feel. Anything else is just Unacceptable. If you know you can make it work, go for it. To start with, I wouldn’t lease a van. Buy something 5/7 years old incase you hate it in 4 years time. Also in my opinion, Navy/Chef joking aside. 40k is a joke and nowhere nearly enough. Should be 100k.

Never second guess yourself mate. The military has taught you that. Go with what you feel. Anything else is just Unacceptable. If you know you can make it work, go for it. To start with, I wouldn’t lease a van. Buy something 5/7 years old incase you hate it in 4 years time. Also in my opinion, Navy/Chef joking aside. 40k is a joke and nowhere nearly enough. Should be 100k.

The new pension is even worst , 15 years of my pension is reserved on AFP75 but the new one is incremented, so for example, you join the army in 1990 and do 22 and leave as a WO2, you get a WO2 pension, with the new one it works like this... if you are a Pte for 4 years, LCpl for 4 years, Cpl for 4 years, Sgt for 4 years, SSgt for 4 and finish as a WO2 then that's the pension you get 4 years pte rate, 4 years Cpl etc... I could stay in for another 6 and my pension does not improve at all.

The new pension is even worst , 15 years of my pension is reserved on AFP75 but the new one is incremented, so for example, you join the army in 1990 and do 22 and leave as a WO2, you get a WO2 pension, with the new one it works like this... if you are a Pte for 4 years, LCpl for 4 years, Cpl for 4 years, Sgt for 4 years, SSgt for 4 and finish as a WO2 then that's the pension you get 4 years pte rate, 4 years Cpl etc... I could stay in for another 6 and my pension does not improve at all.
Not worth staying the extra 6 really unless you get promoted? Are you a SSgt? I only did 6 years and left as a Lcpl. I’m on AFP75 but I will not get much by the time I’m 65. Is the new one index linked?

Not worth staying the extra 6 really unless you get promoted? Are you a SSgt? I only did 6 years and left as a Lcpl. I’m on AFP75 but I will not get much by the time I’m 65. Is the new one index linked?

I'll be equivalent to SSgt by the time I leave, the pension is around 10k per year after the 40k pay out, it's nothing special but it's a holiday every year if nothing else... not that I'll be able to afford to take time off to go on holiday (got that in before any of you lot do) :):):)

Last edited:
luckily for me I have spent the last 4 years running funds and accounts, asset management and auditing. My wife is also AAT trained and works in finance. The book keeping side and invoicing etc will actually be the easiest part of it for me.

Not bothered about the long days, I've done my fair share of 80+ hour weeks over the years. As long as I get to sleep in my own bed at home I am not bothered. I just don't think I could work 9-5 in a office watching what I say and being bored

Sounds like you're in a good position to make this work then! The background you and your wife have accounts wise should be a massive help too.

Really know what you mean about not being able to deal with 9-5 office! I'd learnt a lot of different trade skills growing up, by time I was 18 I'd helped build one house and restore 4, was lucky to have been able to lean these skills off family members in the trades. I then made the mistake of listening to my dad's career advice and ended up a qualified accountant and working in audit for one of the big4 firms for 8 years. I hated everything about it and it made me really ill (although its since been very helpful as I don;t need to employ an accountant or book keeper), in the end I decided I needed to work with my hands and work for myself. Its been massively stressful, the first couple of years really were not fun at all, but I would not change it for anything in the world. Over the years it does get less stressful, you get better at sussing out what prospective clients are like (very important bit of being S.E. that only comes with time) and how to avoid most of the million and one pitfalls you're at risk of falling down and your confidence grows which helps a lot!

Just received this @Harvest Fields whats your view... (fast track course)

Dear Stephen

Thank you for your recent enquiry with BTC Training Centre Ltd regarding our full-time and part-time gas training programmes. If you have ever served in the UK armed forces there could also be some funding we can help you access. I wonder if it would be possible for us to speak briefly, as I want to find out exactly what programme would suit you best as there are different start points and course options. For example, have you already got any plumbing or pipe skills, or is this a new start?

With about 20 million Gas Smart Meters, and 14 million new boilers to be fitted in the next 10 years, you can understand why Gas is a great choice of career and why we are so busy right now.

We are continually being offered more gas jobs for students than we have students qualifying, which is due to what we teach our students in comparison to other training facilities. It is also why we regularly train people from all over the UK.

As part of the gas training process, every student has to build a portfolio. We guarantee (in writing) a free work-placement for every student, in the students local area (which is unique)
Over the last 5 years, over 60% of those work-placements led to the student beingoffered work on qualification by the company that they built their portfolio with

We are the only training centre in the UK that have had our own training programme authorised, and that includes lots of extra training that we have added so that we areteaching our students how to be employable gas engineers (not just how to pass assessments).

Some of our extra tuition includes; how to repair boilers (including component recognition, fault finding, diagnosis and repair), CP12 landlord certificates and some electrical training. None of those elements are in the standard curriculum that other training organisations use.

Even though experienced gas engineers often charge £70 an hour for their time, you may be amazed to learn that sometimes requests for information are not genuine enquiries (and we have no way of knowing which are and which are not), so to get your information, please reply to this email or give me a call back when you are free to speak on my direct number 01274 88 88 62. Kind Regards Robin Furness Phone: 01274 88 88 62 Email: [email protected]

Sorry, i'm a bit late to the party.

I only come on here when i'm stuck ;) lol ( I do actually come on here for a browse but not as often as I'd like)

There will be another thread posted shortly with a request for info :)

I've had a quick read of the thread and i'm going to add my thoughts and offer some advice based on my own experience.

I completed the city and guilds 6129 in 2007 while still in the army, RE trade training. I didn't touch plumbing at all for 3/4 years after this. I believe this was half the units towards the nvq level 2, this seems to be the minimum requirement when applying for plumbing jobs from what I have seen.

I then did my gas course in the army, class 1 trade training. The course was about 9 months long, very intense with a lot to take in It was a proper course run by an ex gas engineer. I was also sent out with a gas engineer for 2 weeks to gain the portfolio evidence.

I ended up going back out with him on weekends during my last 12 months in the army for free to gain more experience. I'll be honest I didn't learn a great deal, he used me as more of a dogs body knowing I was eager to get some experience. I knew this but used the time to get used to what tools were handy to have and little things like that. We regularly discussed me going out with him full time when i left the army and he led me to believe that was what was going to happen. When it got close to happening and he asked me what i want i said i want a job and to learn, he started to talk rubbish and make out he couldn't guarantee me a set minimum each week. Basically he liked having me for free but didn't want to pay me anything. Bit of a user. The good thing is he has called me a couple of times since asking if i'm busy and if i want to help on some jobs. It was good to say no. he knew I was a hard worker but thought I was an easy touch. If you can get someone to take you on so you can learn that way it will be better than any fast track course you can ever do. You might get a piece of paper saying you are qualified but nothing beats doing it in the real world. Be careful you don't get taken for a ride.

When I left the army in 2012 I spent about 8 months in Southampton working for a heating install company, it was a really good firm, good lads and I learnt a lot. I fitted a few boilers myself while I was there and I helped out doing full system installs. I got the feeling they were going to let me go as we got in to the spring and work started to quieten down so I left. They said that wasn't the case but when I asked for a contract they weren't in a rush to give me one so I jumped rather than be left in the lurch.

I also upgraded my 6129 to the full nvq level 2 by gaining the additional evidence and completing my level 2 folder. This cost me approx 2k, i can't remember but without it I wouldn't have had the opportunities i've had. I've done a basic tiling course, my unvented qualification, part p (waste).

Back in Kent I joined a small property maintenance company and did a bit of everything, boiler changes, full systems, bathrooms, minor electrics (handy to know) and general plumbing repairs. Friendly company but always felt like I was all over the place. Money was not great but neither was my level of skill/experience. I was regularly sent to jobs close to finish time and ended up doing extra hours regularly with no extra pay. the odd immersion change here, electric shower swap there. At first I didn't mind as beggars cant be choosers but it got to the point where it became expected and I would get a bit of attitude from the boss if I couldn't do it one night. It was time to leave.

Next up was a national firm doing mostly plumbing repairs with a bit of gas work too. Money was really good if you put the hours in. Again I learnt a lot, a lot of it was basic stuff but not everything. It was a good confidence builder, you had to work fast to get jobs done, which meant you got good at identifying plumbing faults and could figure things out fast. I messed up by saying yes to covering call out all the time, taking overtime when asked. I was doing silly hours, not eating, my fault. I'd also got to the point where I needed to move on as I didn't feel as though I was going to learn much more doing what I was doing.

Now I'm doing plumbing for a social housing contract. It's not glamorous and very rarely is it demanding on the brain. It's very laid back and it's local work. No call out and you are left alone to get on with the work.

I'm also registered self employed, I have my own van and gas safe registration and insurance. I do my own jobs evenings and weekends. I'm at the point where I could go on my own, I wouldn't be rolling in it just yet but I could match my salary from my employer with out too much effort. I do what ever is going. Plumbing repairs, boiler installs, rad changes, boiler breakdowns, servicing. I get a lot of work because I work evenings and weekends when other people wont. Customers cant always be off work to be home. It's not ideal but i'm building a customer base. A lot of customers say to me they haven't been able to get a plumber for a tap change, a toilet repair, a new radiator because it's not worth it. I'll take the small jobs all day long. pound for pound they are the best earners.

I've gone overboard with the information here but I wanted to explain it clearly enough so that you get an idea of how long it can take to get to a position where you can do your own thing. I'm not a naturally gifted plumber and I'm not the fastest at what I do but I have done well in my jobs because I work hard, I'll help out and cover a job at the end of the day, I'll work my lunch to get a job finished instead of having to go back the next day.

I wouldn't recommend spending money on any courses until you have spent some time with a plumber/gas engineer and seen what's involved. See if you will enjoy the work. How will you deal with difficult customers? I have been lucky to get where I have with absolutely no experience and I mean NO EXPERIENCE but nothing has been handed to me on a plate. I have approached companies, explained my situation and asked for a job based on my limited experience, it's paid off but it's not been easy. I wanted to run before I could walk but it's impossible.

You are in the fortunate position of having some money behind you. My dad has always said life can be hard but it's even harder when you're skint. Having money will take the pressure off and allow you the time to tread carefully. Beware, a lot of companies will be more than ready to take your money and promise you jobs at the end of it which won't materialise. ex forces are known for having money to burn on courses and it's easy to be attracted to companies which promise you the earth. I have met a few blokes who have spent thousands on courses which have led to nothing because they didn't do their research. One ex army I met had spent lots on locksmith training, got qualified but didn't realise the extent of stock he had to carry at any one time to meet customers requirements along with other business running costs and he had to admit he could never do it.

Anyway I hope this has been some help. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Try and get some experience before spending out on a course even if it means doing so for free. You'll be surprised how hard it is to give away your time for free to get experience. All the best, any questions post away.

Keep visiting this site. I've been a member on here now for a while and there is a lot of clever guys on here who have helped me out no end. I don't have the luxury of having done an apprenticeship so i'm always going to be behind someone who has, I don't have that level of training but anything I need to know is usually answered on here.

Last edited:
Superb write-up Armyash. Good luck to you, though I doubt you’ll need luck, with your work ethic.
Your writing, grammar, and punctuation are a credit to you too.

Hi everyone

I am leaving the forces after 23 years shortly and want to retrain as a gas engineer, growing up in a trades household I was pretty much dragged out with my old man regularly with the hope of earning a quid. However that was 20+ years ago.I joined the Navy not as an engineer but have enough nouse about me to grasp things quick.

Serious question though. I can't afford to go to college for 3 years doing an apprenticeship for obvious reasons being 37, kids and mortgage and every thread I read is old and bold tradies slamming the short courses.

I get it I really do, but what options do I have? have you done the fast track course? did you find a job? have you employed someone like me?Do I bite the bullet and take my degree, iosh quals and project manager quals and do a job for £40k that I'll ****ing hate until I die?
I’ve gone through the process of leaving the military into the gas and oil trade. I was in a technical role within the Air Force and am now doing well for myself. If you’d like any advice drop me a PM.

I took a fast track course 7 years ago, out of 11 only 3 managed to get into jobs. I was lucky and had a QC who was really helpful and spent extra time with me during the first few months.
Main thing is make sure the placement to get your portfolio is guaranteed.
Have you checked out British gas , I know they used to have retraining for ex forces. Great training as well.

Hi everyone

I am leaving the forces after 23 years shortly and want to retrain as a gas engineer, growing up in a trades household I was pretty much dragged out with my old man regularly with the hope of earning a quid. However that was 20+ years ago.I joined the Navy not as an engineer but have enough nouse about me to grasp things quick.

Serious question though. I can't afford to go to college for 3 years doing an apprenticeship for obvious reasons being 37, kids and mortgage and every thread I read is old and bold tradies slamming the short courses.

I get it I really do, but what options do I have? have you done the fast track course? did you find a job? have you employed someone like me?Do I bite the bullet and take my degree, iosh quals and project manager quals and do a job for £40k that I'll ****ing hate until I die?
Hi everyone

Hi Stephen,
If you want to pm me out can put you in touch with an ex services guy who is working with a Manchester based company as a gas engineer.
He has recently started a scheme with his company giving servicemen the opportunity to spend some time with an engineer on the road. A kind of try before you buy!!
They are a heating company and not a training provider so you won't get badgered for signing up etc..

Just received this @Harvest Fields whats your view... (fast track course)

Dear Stephen

Thank you for your recent enquiry with BTC Training Centre Ltd regarding our full-time and part-time gas training programmes. If you have ever served in the UK armed forces there could also be some funding we can help you access. I wonder if it would be possible for us to speak briefly, as I want to find out exactly what programme would suit you best as there are different start points and course options. For example, have you already got any plumbing or pipe skills, or is this a new start?

With about 20 million Gas Smart Meters, and 14 million new boilers to be fitted in the next 10 years, you can understand why Gas is a great choice of career and why we are so busy right now.

We are continually being offered more gas jobs for students than we have students qualifying, which is due to what we teach our students in comparison to other training facilities. It is also why we regularly train people from all over the UK.

As part of the gas training process, every student has to build a portfolio. We guarantee (in writing) a free work-placement for every student, in the students local area (which is unique)
Over the last 5 years, over 60% of those work-placements led to the student beingoffered work on qualification by the company that they built their portfolio with

We are the only training centre in the UK that have had our own training programme authorised, and that includes lots of extra training that we have added so that we areteaching our students how to be employable gas engineers (not just how to pass assessments).

Some of our extra tuition includes; how to repair boilers (including component recognition, fault finding, diagnosis and repair), CP12 landlord certificates and some electrical training. None of those elements are in the standard curriculum that other training organisations use.

Even though experienced gas engineers often charge £70 an hour for their time, you may be amazed to learn that sometimes requests for information are not genuine enquiries (and we have no way of knowing which are and which are not), so to get your information, please reply to this email or give me a call back when you are free to speak on my direct number 01274 88 88 62. Kind Regards Robin Furness Phone: 01274 88 88 62 Email: [email protected]
Mate. Please be careful with companies like this. They sound good. But unless they provide solid evidence of what they can offer leave them
Well alone.

Time for my 2 pence.

I had pretty much never picked up a hand tool in my life. I was in the fortunate position in 2008 that our mortgage was stupidly low, no kids and but if money in the bank. I was however in s job where I was working a lot of hours and every weekend so decided it was time for a change.

I did an 8 week intensive plumbing course, left it thinking I was a plumber, got a job with a guy and his son and realised within 2 hours I knew nothing! I learnt more in the 1st couple of days with them than in the 8 week course.

That was short lived, only a few weeks. I was then taking to a neighbour who knew someone with s plumbing company and I got a job with him. I signed straight up to a gas course, 1 day a week over a year. 4 day week with my new boss, he had about 6 guys working for him and for the first few months I was out with one or two of them learning plumbing and a bit of heating. Then did about 6 months of power flushing every day when I wasn't at college. The last couple of months I was out doing servicing and breakdowns which really helped me with my exams. I then passed them and was straight out on my own servicing and breakdowns. Unfortunately, 18 months later I did my back in badly and was unable to carry on so had to take a break for 18 months. I then slowly got back into it, doing general plumbing in a prison then commercial stuff with another company for a few months but the traveling with this one was ridiculous. I then meet someone that I had done my gas training course with and fit talking, he then took me on. I worked for him for a couple of years. Nice guy as a person but a nightmare to work for, he would constantly knock my confidence, in the end I started to really lose faith in myself and my wife was tearing her hair out trying to do school runs etc and run her own business. I took the leap to go self employed but fit a different reason to most. I now work about 30 hours a week fitting in around my wife, I do about 60%- 75% of the kids running around. Because of this I'm not on great money. But it's not much less than I was on when I was employed and life is much more enjoyable. I know as the kids get older I will be able to work more and then money will be better. I would always take on someone like you as it's a similar route to what I took, you may not have then knowledge that some of the younger apprentices have but you have life experience and I'm guessing, like me, you wouldn't take the Nicky with pulling sickies because you've been smashed the night before at student night in town etc. Best of luck whatever you decide.

There were a couple of ex amy lads on my training at BG, id defo consider applying to them.

I have a young installation fast tract out with me at the monent, course cost 9k with a 8 or 9 work placement, think he can add cookers and fires at the end of the course.

From what i can tell, work placement means passing the guy tools. Also be very aware, the course and placement will not make you a plumber/gas engineer, you have to do that for yourself, if you go self employed you will look incompetent infront of customers, you may also struggle to make a living for the first 4 or 5 years.

Youll not find any jobs advertised without min 3 years experience, 5 if its for a breakdown Enigneer.

Theres a firm in Manchester that will charge you £2100 for a months on the job training.

Its not impossible to break into the trade on your own, but i dont envy you fella.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your input, sods law I've been away this weekend and come back to a Rad fallen off the wall, the pipe is buried in the wall and a pinhole leak Soding out, must of only just happenned because the heating was on and there was pressure still in the boiler. Lucky I can still remember how to drain the rads and always have a Rad key around...FML

Hi everyone

It depends what your military background is. If you were avionics tech in the RAF heating would be a fairly easy transition.

If however you don’t have any formal technical training I personally think you’ll struggle in just doing a short course or two.

It depends what your military background is. If you were avionics tech in the RAF heating would be a fairly easy transition.

If however you don’t have any formal technical training I personally think you’ll struggle in just doing a short course or two.
Last post is 9 months old mate.

Reply to Fast Track courses what's the truth? Ex Military, needs advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock