Search the forum,

Discuss F22 error on Vaillant Ecotec Plus Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 418 boiler (standard boiler, not combi), but as of this morning my heating and hot water has stopped working, and I get the error message F22.

I believe this means the pressure is low and I've looked online, and it suggest I must use valves under the boiler to repressurise. However, my boiler/pipes do not have these valves (as far as I can see).

I've included 4 photos. Photo 1 is the boiler panel, photo 2 is the underneath of the boiler, and photos 3 and 4 are in the airing cupboad.

Can anyone help or suggest anything? Thank you!

Boiler.jpg

Boiler Underneath.jpg

Airing Cupboard.jpg

Airing Cupboard 2.jpg

None of your photos show anywhere where the system pressure can be adjusted. There must be some more pipework nearby

if its a sealed system there will be an orange/red coloured vessel with a guage near it and probably a flex hose with one or two taps this is where you need to re-pressurise the system

i think your system is an open vent with the tanks in the loft so no vessel in this case
F 22 is Dry fire

Too little water in the appliance, water pressure sensor defective, cable to pump or water sensor defective, pump blocked or defective, pump output too low

possibly your pump is defective

Thank you for your replies. Gasmk1 is there a way if I could know for certain that it is an open vent system? And SimonG I've just checked and yes there is water in the loft tanks.

Also just to say the boiler is a standard boiler, not a combi boiler, if that helps.

if there is two tanks in the loft then it is open vent and it is more than likely the pump feel it to see if it is hot or vibrating

Hi Gasmk1, thanks again for your reply. Yes there are two tanks in the loft. The pump is cold and not vibrating, but I guess that is because the heating and hot water are off? Even if try to turn them on, the pump doesn't seem to change.

does the valve on the 3 port motor open when calling for heat there is a lever on the side end you cant see this should be loose if its opening

As above make sure what small tank in the loft has water inside it. Have you bled all rads until water comes out?

Thank you Harvest Fields for your reply. Both tanks in the loft have water inside. I have just bled all the radiators again until water came out. Sadly, still the same :(

Hi Gasmk1, not sure which valve you mean. This is the motor.

View attachment 35255
No the silver box above the pump on the end you can't see is a lever if the lever is floppy when there is a heat demand its opening and either not making the switch so nothing works but if the lever is stiff and you feel resistance when you push it then the valve is faulty. You will only be able to check properly if there is a demand for heat

Hi Gasmk1, thank you so much once again for your reply. Ok so this is the valve I take it (picture attached)? I pressed the heating button on the boiler and felt the lever on the back of the valve, and it was not stiff as far as I could tell. I could move it left and right. Which position should it be in?

Lever.jpg

if you have a call for heat then it should just be loose if nothing happening then its most probably the pump but it could be the valve not making its switch. you will need either a gas safe engineer or someone with good electrical knowledge to look at it

Ok thank you. Also just to say if I turn the electric to the boiler off, and then back on and press the heating button on, the boiler comes on briefly (for 6-8 seconds), it makes noise and the flame is on, but then it goes off and the F22 error comes up. Does this help give any indication as to the source of the problem? Thanks.

I switched the electric to the boiler off and removed the screw on the front of the pump (see attached photo). But with a screw driver I couldn't turn the screw inside. Does that mean the pump has seized up? And if so do I need a new pump? Thanks

Pump.jpg

yes its seized try keep turning it to free it up it may work but will need replacing

Hi Last Plumber, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what a PCB is? Six months ago the system stopped working and the person who serviced my boiler (who I can't get hold of) replaced the silver box that was there with one he had in his van (see attached photo).

Lever.jpg

If you have 240V to the pump but it still doesn’t spin then the electrics are working but the pump is broken, in this case mechanically knackered.

Thanks for your reply Dan. I found a youtube video of the exact same pump (same 59525600 part number) -

And it shows it easily spinning. Mine does not budge at all.

Update: I removed the screw on the front of the pump again, and the screw inside still would not budge. So I used the screwdriver and a small hammer and tapped a few times. I could feel it was moving a little, then I put the screwdriver in the center and I was able to move it more. I then put the central heating on and turned the screwdriver a couple of times and I could feel the motor going. I then put the outer screw back on.

The heating has been working for the last hour or so and I have hot water and heating again (for now anyway!). Thank you again everyone so much for your help!

What do you recommend I do now? Should I consider replacing the pump, or leave it. How long is the pump likely to last? The central heating system was installed around 7 years ago.

Reply to F22 error on Vaillant Ecotec Plus Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock