Search the forum,

Discuss Extra Tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

33ching

Hi there,
just looking for some help with extra tools I might need. I have been supplied with the tools on the attachement but wondered if there is anything else I might need as a newbie. I will be working as a mate with 2 plumbing companies during my training and both said if I was confident enough they would get me to do small jobs so is there anything else I might need tool wise.

Attachments

• plumb-small.jpg
    plumb-small.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 131
Its gonna depend what sort of work your doing but bits i can see missing are a couple of decent sized screw drivers id get a 2pt pozi about 14 inches long and a resonably large straight bladed one
A stanley knife is a must nothing fancy but retractable blade is good,personally ive never got on with water pump pliers for day to day work as they have a tendency to slip there handy to have but 2 pair of thumb turn footprints 7 and 9 inch are the way to go dont be tempted by cheap copies pay the extra for the real macoy theyll last longer and work better
id also get a long bit holder for the cordless about four inchers is fine makes life easy when you can see the tip clearly. you can go and on buying tools youll find what suits you as you progress and aquire tools as you do so

18lb sledge hammer for those really really really bad days when everything goes wrong:mad: and you want to beat the living daylights out of something till it works!!
Not the best way do deal with something but its there in the back of the van just in case.
Failing that a pack of really really strong ****;).
Regards
Mike:D

Thanks for that. Been busy so this is 1st time I have been on for about a month. Just wanted to ask about where to buy tools from as I have been told Srewfix do good deals also PTS and Plumb Centre are not bad priced. The only thing is I can't get a trade account as I don't have a business as I am still doing my training and working as a mate so I need to try and keeps costs to a minimum but also don't want to buy rubbish.

I tend to get my screwdrivers from B&Q now. Their own make are quite reasonable and I'm not too sad when I lose one or Mueller one using it as a bolster because I can't be bothered to go to the van.

Mike

Thanks for that. Been busy so this is 1st time I have been on for about a month. Just wanted to ask about where to buy tools from as I have been told Srewfix do good deals also PTS and Plumb Centre are not bad priced. The only thing is I can't get a trade account as I don't have a business as I am still doing my training and working as a mate so I need to try and keeps costs to a minimum but also don't want to buy rubbish.
None of the above merchants require you to have a trade account to purchase from, maybe you could purchase onthe account of a plumber you know,and pay him back, but as a rule theres not much discount on tools

Thanks leakylea,
i was just under the impression that you need an account as when I have been in these stores before I saw signs up saying trade only. Anyway just come off the screwfix website and spent a few quid on tools etc. My wife will go ape $*** but it is things I will need. I stopped smoking 15 days ago so that is my saved *** money I have spent on my future trade.

plumbers need all sorts of tools to cover all aspects of the trade, you need a van to cart it all around.

well ive spent about 700.00 so far
levels/drills/wrenches/benders/screwdrivers/gas torch/ it goes on and on

Make sure you keep all the receipts. you can claim the tax back on them as soon as you start your own business. I think.... you can back claim for 3 months from the date you start.

Don't be put off by not having a trade account, if you ask you normally get something off, even though I get discount I still ask for a bit more sometimes it works.

In my short time I use all sorts of tools, chisels, wrecking bars, jubilee clips, WD40, silicone grease, I am amazed how much work you need to do just to get at the pipes........... I have come to the conclusion you never have enough rags, maybe thats just me...... :eek:

Get as many tools you can lay you're hands on, the tool kit in the picture will get you started but aim to replace it piece by piece as you go because they are cheap DIY tools really apart from the blowtorch.

I buy tools all the time, just bought a new 18v Dewalt combi drill and a corded Dewalt circular saw to replace the cheapys I started with. I saw one of those wire hand saws the other day for £3.50 so I bought it knowing it might just get me out of a fix one day you'll never know.

Turn you're van into a mobile PTS with all basic fittings and gear and have it all organised. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Extra Tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock