Search the forum,

Discuss Experience in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy83

Hello

I've just signed up to a college course to my Basic plumbing NVQ level 2 which starts next September. I'd like to be able to get some experience before the start of the course and if at all possible work with someone or a company that I could do an apprenticeship with on completion of my NVQ. At the open day at the college I asked the course coordinator about approaching plumbers and companies about doing apprenticeships with them. He suggested that I contact bigger businesses such as Mitie as they are more likely to take people on apprenticeships. Does anyone have any ideas of other companies that I could get in touch with, with view to doing an apprenticeship? I'm trying to think outside the box a little as, expectedly, I have been knocked back by numerous independent plumbers and plumbing companies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

yeah its the QCF now isn't it? the 6129 and the 6128 heating and ventilating qualifications are being amalgamated. Thats the course I'm doing, the old basic NVQ. Any suggestions on my post?

no its not available for new starts after march 2010, believe me it will be gone. they are not amalgamating the plumbing and H&V. they are amalgamating the plumbing tech cert 6129 and plumbing nvq 6089 in to a diploma, you cannot pass the diploma without a job. I think you are signed onto the building services level 1 this is plumb, elec, H&V and refridge all in one at a very low level, it is not a trade, check it out on c and g website

true shano23, the other issue is funding, as yet it is only garanteed until dec, i am yet to be told it has also been extended. this wouldnt matter with a private centre

Have a look on the actual website guys

[DLMURL="http://www.cityandguilds.com/59865.html"]September 2010: Plumbing and Domestic Heating (6189)[/DLMURL]

Answers and corrects some of you on this subject

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look on the actual website guys

[DLMURL="http://www.cityandguilds.com/59865.html"]September 2010: Plumbing and Domestic Heating (6189)[/DLMURL]

Answers and corrects some of you on this subject

Or check out the latest news, October 2010: [DLMURL="http://www.cityandguilds.com/60996.html"]Diplomas in Plumbing and Domestic Heating (6189)[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
New qual available from nov although funding available on existing until april 1st 2011. so sep 2011 starts will be on the diploma

so what your saying is no one can be a plumber unless they have a job so for the fact no one is takeing on new starts young or old their will be no new plumbers comeing through we can all put out prices up because in the end their will be a shortage

so what your saying is no one can be a plumber unless they have a job so for the fact no one is takeing on new starts young or old their will be no new plumbers comeing through we can all put out prices up because in the end their will be a shortage

Not what im saying, what summitskills the sector skills council for building services are saying. they have designed the course and yes youve got to be employed. they are sick of complaints by customers about poorly skilled tradesmen after undertaking only the 6129. it wasnt desinged to be a stand aalone qual but has been run as one, they now realise this was a mistake and are looking to revert back to the way it was before the 6129, dont recal anyone questioning it back then?
There will not be a shortage of plumbers, dont believe what you hear, there are too many trained now, and companies will take on apprenticies as they need to supply the trade, it worked for years but now people think we must keep the 6129 to keep the trade alive, we dont need it.
new entrants may want it but the trade doesnt need it, im not passing judgement, im not giving personal views just saying it as it is

so what do you do if ur to old to take an apprentice wage and you want to become a plumber and have friends who are plumbers who will give some un paid experance.
and have read some of the book spent some 16 years in the building trade as a carpenter setting out and running jobs extencions + refurb
now im working for my self doing landloard repairs and other works. I am a time served nvq3 carpenter and have been doing bathroom swaps and running heating pipe work and setting rads for most of that time

dont get you mate, your too old to work for an apprentice wage but would work for nothing?

if you mean unpaid work at weekends then your only chance will be to try to get a college who would assess you on weekends and take you on as an apprentice, thats if the funding allows it? remember also that a modern apprenticeship includes level 2 english and maths, if you dont pass them you wont pass the apprenticeship. thats why the goverment want to put fundin g into apprenticeships, in their eyes they get better value for money as the outcome is better

sorry didnt explain myself i am allready trading as a builder/plumber have been for five years now and never had any come backs well a couple to start with. just want to get the papers to go on to do gas work the unpayed work would be with a gas safe plumber to build up exp

ok get you now, you dont need plumb quals to be gas safe or do your acs, if you record your experience youll be fine, need about 240 days in total though

i did speek to someone the other day and he said somewhere along those lines . thats gonna take me years i recon

it can be back dated if you have done the work supervised. it is quicker than doing a 4 year apprenticeship. it isnt meant to be quick or easy thats why its a respected course, youve gota put the work in if you want the outcome, no quick fixes. even with an nvq3 you need 140 days evidence of working on gas, hardly a short cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Experience in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock