Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion Vessel Vibration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

IDC

First post after a lot of browsing and hoping for some insight into an on-going issue.

I have a Glenhill unvented cylinder setup on my house. Installed 5 years ago (I’ve lived here for a year).

Backstory:

The expansion vessel was replaced in November as the last one had started to leak. No problems at all after install.

In February we had our entire bathroom completely re-done. No issues at all.

During May we notice that there is water dripping into the Tundish. Plumber call, faulty valve identified as the issue. Water pressure seems a little bit lower than before (about 15%) when at full whack. Plumber says that this is because old valve was totally worn so was probably letting in more water than it should.

Over the course of the next few weeks there is an increasingly loud groan and vibration when shower is turned on to full.

Plumber returns. Says that expansion vessel is the problem. Points out it’s attached to the hot water pipe but should be attached to the cold (they did the original install so a bit odd). Install new vessel and attach to new position. Turn on shower and no issues - sorted.

That evening issue has returned. Plumber comes back and says the valve previously installed must be faulty and that he will also replace the flexible pipe to the expansion vessel with solid pipe as per manufacturer (Glenhill) recommendation. This is done but now vibration happens when ANY tap is opened (even cold), as well as when the toilet flushes. Getting a bit annoyed at this point and dig out the manual for the system. Point out that they have put a 6 bar PRV on, but the manual says it should be 4.5. They go off to find part and come back next day to fit it.

Im now away for a couple of days and they come over when my partner is around and fit correct valve. No issues now and no vibrations or noise coming from anything.

I return and notice that pressure is a little lower than before when the cold tap is at max, but no problem as it was a bit overpowering before. Use shower and it’s probably running at 30% less pressure than before. Bugger. Assuming there must be an airlock so check stopcock is fully open (it is) and go to check boiler pressure. It’s just below 1.5 so open the filling loop to top it to 1.5. Nothing happens. Can’t hear any water coming into the system and pressure does not change. Whip off the hose and check water is coming through hose and it is. Then proceed to bleed radiators to try and see if this helps. Fill loop now makes a tiny difference to pressure after leaving open for about 30 seconds. Bit frustrated now and give up.

Have a shower a few hours later and pressure is fantastic, potentially even better than it was before this whole thing started and no vibration when shower as turned on. Great! Turn on cold tap 5 minutes later and the issue is back.

So, it seems that when the water pressure was low (presumably through air lock) there as no issue with vibration. Now pressure is good, issue has occurred again.

I’m thinking at this point either the water pressure in the system is too high and is mismatched to the expansion vessel or, that the expansion vessel is insufficiently charged?

Unfortunately there is no visible gauge on the system so can’t really check this.

Getting a bit beyond a joke now, but as we’re in the midst of renovation, money is tight so don’t want to just get a different plumber in and get charged £££ after already paying for the replacement valve and install originally.

Any ideas?

There are at least two Gledhill experts on UKPF, however because unvented stuff is for certificated engineers they will decide how much they can help you. For what it is worth Gledhill in my opinion and practical experience at McCarthy Stone developments are rubbish. There is a scheme which Gledhill operate which covers their equipment on a monthly basis with dedicated Gledhill engineers. Rob Foster
aka centralheatking

With all due respect IDC your plumbers haven't got a cue & if they do hold the G3 unvented qualification it should be taken away, find someone else who understands unvented quick.
As Rob states above because of the danger that these can represent if incorrectly installed & maintained we are prevented from providing too much information.
I will just say this - if the composite fails the pressure normally goes down not up, fitting one with a greater pressure than that stated by the MI's is just dangerous. You thinking that there is a link between the boiler /heating pressure & what is happening with the unvented hot water system totally incorrect, so please bite the bullet & find a G3 registered plumber who can sort this out for you before someone of something gets hurt.

There are a number of reasons why your unvented system is not functioning correctly and a competent registered G3 engineer should be able to resolve the problem(s) so please follow the previous advice and get it looked at by a G3 certificated plumber.
Unvented hot water storage systems are subject to building regulations for a reason

I would very much doubt that your previous plumber holds these qualifications, was the install registered with local building authority as well as it is a notifiable install. It sounds to me like they have bastardised the set up with parts that aren’t for the correct cylinder. I would ask for proof of their qualifications if they have none I would be looking to pursue a refund to cover getting the system set up properly

Get a recommended G3 plumber to check the entire install and operation of the unvented unit.
Contact the previous firm to explain to them the work is being examined by a qualified and experienced engineer for a report to find if any work or components is faulty

First post after a lot of browsing and hoping for some insight into an on-going issue.

I have a Glenhill unvented cylinder setup on my house. Installed 5 years ago (I’ve lived here for a year).

Backstory:

The expansion vessel was replaced in November as the last one had started to leak. No problems at all after install.

In February we had our entire bathroom completely re-done. No issues at all.

During May we notice that there is water dripping into the Tundish. Plumber call, faulty valve identified as the issue. Water pressure seems a little bit lower than before (about 15%) when at full whack. Plumber says that this is because old valve was totally worn so was probably letting in more water than it should.

Over the course of the next few weeks there is an increasingly loud groan and vibration when shower is turned on to full.

Plumber returns. Says that expansion vessel is the problem. Points out it’s attached to the hot water pipe but should be attached to the cold (they did the original install so a bit odd). Install new vessel and attach to new position. Turn on shower and no issues - sorted.

That evening issue has returned. Plumber comes back and says the valve previously installed must be faulty and that he will also replace the flexible pipe to the expansion vessel with solid pipe as per manufacturer (Glenhill) recommendation. This is done but now vibration happens when ANY tap is opened (even cold), as well as when the toilet flushes. Getting a bit annoyed at this point and dig out the manual for the system. Point out that they have put a 6 bar PRV on, but the manual says it should be 4.5. They go off to find part and come back next day to fit it.

Im now away for a couple of days and they come over when my partner is around and fit correct valve. No issues now and no vibrations or noise coming from anything.

I return and notice that pressure is a little lower than before when the cold tap is at max, but no problem as it was a bit overpowering before. Use shower and it’s probably running at 30% less pressure than before. Bugger. Assuming there must be an airlock so check stopcock is fully open (it is) and go to check boiler pressure. It’s just below 1.5 so open the filling loop to top it to 1.5. Nothing happens. Can’t hear any water coming into the system and pressure does not change. Whip off the hose and check water is coming through hose and it is. Then proceed to bleed radiators to try and see if this helps. Fill loop now makes a tiny difference to pressure after leaving open for about 30 seconds. Bit frustrated now and give up.

Have a shower a few hours later and pressure is fantastic, potentially even better than it was before this whole thing started and no vibration when shower as turned on. Great! Turn on cold tap 5 minutes later and the issue is back.

So, it seems that when the water pressure was low (presumably through air lock) there as no issue with vibration. Now pressure is good, issue has occurred again.

I’m thinking at this point either the water pressure in the system is too high and is mismatched to the expansion vessel or, that the expansion vessel is insufficiently charged?

Unfortunately there is no visible gauge on the system so can’t really check this.

Getting a bit beyond a joke now, but as we’re in the midst of renovation, money is tight so don’t want to just get a different plumber in and get charged £££ after already paying for the replacement valve and install originally.

Any ideas?
A resume of the outcome would be polite...Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Reply to Expansion Vessel Vibration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock