Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion Vessel Upside Down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

I have a caleffi PRV in my hands, to replace the current one, as when heating the system the gauge doesn't move.
- it does appear to move correctly, when pressurising via cold feed.

Before I went to replace the PRV, I had a quick look at instructions...

In bold text it states do not install upside down...

Well the current one is upside down, I slapped my forehead and growled!

So the question is, what are the consequences of installing the PRV upside down? Am I going to need to repipe this?

I'm surprised as no one said the original was upside down, so perhaps the instructions are not great?

Please left me know as I'm sat here with the heating off and drained down wondering what to do?

Thanks.

Richard

What exactly are you attempting to replace?
A pressure relief valve, - or a pressure reducing valve? (Both are PRV abbreviations)

As per the picture on the original post, the pressure relief valve that is below the expansion vessel.

It should be fine in any orientation, the Prv.
Only critical thing about the relief valve is the outlet and inlet must be correct.
(The valve wouldn’t open to release pressure if the inlet was actually joined to outlet, for example)
The gauge could be faulty.
The relief valve normally is fine if it doesn’t pass water below it’s 3bar setting

The heating wouldn’t need drained down to replace that valve. o_O

Thanks for the info, I parked it for the night.

I had the system drained down for other items I had been working on.

The valve could be change without drain down if I wasn’t replacing the guage...
- I’m replacing the PRV as well on the advice of Caleffi.

I did contemplate just changing the gauge at one point, however it wouldn’t budge one bit and I wasn’t going to risk snapping it that late in the evening.

So eventhing is back up and running for now, without replacing the PRV and guage.

Update:

installed so far:

Magnaclean
Air Separator
Replaced pump valve and seals.

I also found two leaks:

The compression fitting on the positive side of pump.

The Automatic Air Vent i’ve recently replaced.

There is also a possibility that the fitting on the negative side of pump was leaking as well.

Hopefully the air, noise issues have been dealt with, time will tell.

Could you have a leak somewhere ?
If the system is pulling in water you will keep getting air. I'd also check pump connections which can also pull in air on each start up.

Could you have a leak somewhere ?
If the system is pulling in water you will keep getting air. I'd also check pump connections which can also pull in air on each start up.

Thanks for the suggestions, as per previous discussions under this post and other discussions under several other posts, a lot of things have been looked into, including hidden leaks.

Fingers crossed, the work I did last night, has addresses the problem, only time will tell.
- I did found two small leaks one either side of the pump and found that the automatic air vent I had recently replaced was leaking water.

Plus the Air Seporator has done its job and removed a lot of air...

So far, I have only heard the rads once... I have also noticed that the boiler has stopped short cycling and the house is heating better...
- More heat is reaching the Rads

Last edited:

Reply to Expansion Vessel Upside Down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock