Discuss Evaluation of product required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iiplumbing

Guys

I have designed, developed, patented and prototyped a new product for the plumbing industry.

Specifically it will enable an installer to pipe up an under counter hot water heater, pressure relief discharge, directly to a local waste pipe.

It is temperature rated, has a visible means of discharge, an air break to enable a connection to drain and an inbuilt device to stop smells coming from the foul drain/waste pipe.

It is one product, has 15mm inlet, 22mm outlet, its the same size as a standard tundish.

I am looking for 6 professional plumbers/installers to evaluate the product and to give feedback on various aspects on the product.

I believe that this product will be the very first of its type to have been invented so the prospects are quite good.

I am not looking for ways of selling it (that's covered) advertising it (that's covered), or for any feedback before you have had a chance to actually see a product sample.

I would like some volunteers to help with this stage of the evaluation of the product, is anyone out there interested in becoming part of the group? (if you would like I can give credit (your name and/or company listed plus a brief history of you) and back links from the (new) company web site to your own web pages.

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

PS at this stage I do not want to go public on the name of the product and company and you would have to sign a non disclosure agreement if you agree to come on board, which would last up until I launch the product later on this year.

Russ

Count me in Russ. I'm about to fit an under-counter unit in my rental flat so can give you feedback soon. Going to install the new kitchen over Easter.

Cheers Masood

Unfortunately, full production products will not be ready for a few months and the evaluation sample prototypes I have are 3D printed in a material that is not heat resistant :(

But I think you have already seen and understood the challenges of meeting water and building regs. in a confined space, in a situation when it is not possible or very difficult to run the discharge safely to outside the building and be a visible means of discharge right?

I will PM you the non-disclosure agreement for you to print off, sign and post back or scan and e-mail back to me

Russ

Sounds interesting. I would like to help, but I have never fitted an under counter water heater in the 10 years I have been doing the job so very unlikely I will within the next few months. Good luck with it, it will be interesting the product when finished.

Hi mfgs

Am not looking for ppl to fit one in "real life" (as the product is not yet in full production and has not been submitted to full WRAS approval)

But I'm looking for ppl who have full knowledge of water and building regs to help evaluate the product.

i.e. have I missed an important regulation or point?

So if you have the knowledge then you can evaluate

Cheers

Russ

Cheers Masood

Unfortunately, full production products will not be ready for a few months and the evaluation sample prototypes I have are 3D printed in a material that is not heat resistant :(

But I think you have already seen and understood the challenges of meeting water and building regs. in a confined space, in a situation when it is not possible or very difficult to run the discharge safely to outside the building and be a visible means of discharge right?

I will PM you the non-disclosure agreement for you to print off, sign and post back or scan and e-mail back to me

Russ

Hi mfgs

Am not looking for ppl to fit one in "real life" (as the product is not yet in full production and has not been submitted to full WRAS approval)

But I'm looking for ppl who have full knowledge of water and building regs to help evaluate the product.

i.e. have I missed an important regulation or point?

So if you have the knowledge then you can evaluate

Cheers

Russ

Capice! No worries, I'll still be happy to evaluate. Fitted a few of these so I hopefully will be able to help..

Ok then I am more than happy to take a look for you if required, if people with more experience with these come forward it may be of better use to you for them to evaluate, but I will help if needed. I would also like to put forward a Mr Mike Jackson, as that man seems to be able to quote pretty much every regulation and would be a good man to look it over should he agree.

Shame it's not ready I'm fitting 7 under sink units on Monday in an office block would have been a nice test for review as some of the spaces are tight!

Fitted my first one last week!
shame as its temporary.

as i have access all the time

Guys

Just a thought

This product can be put in retrospectively

What do you all currently plan to do with the discharge pipes where will you terminate them?

Guys

Just a thought

This product can be put in retrospectively

What do you all currently plan to do with the discharge pipes where will you terminate them?
I've always run them outside, but normally this means a difficult run, as these tend to be fitted in offices and rooms with no access to normal hot water. So your idea sounds good.

Have any of you guys been tempted to run a solid pipe straight to a local waste pipe because the run to discharge outside (or other place) was difficult to do?

And if you could run to a local waste pipe vs running to outside, how much on the cost of the job do you think you would save? (cost per meter?)

And if you ran a batch of pipes or even singly would you label them on the outside?

Russ

I can have a look if you like. I see a lot of incorrectly installed PRV pipes it would be nice to see a product that would enable easy rectification.

Cool

Wow, I hadn't really thought of the retrospective rectification market as a sector to sell into, but now you mention it, just think of the service a professional installer could provide by offering to bring the installation into line with water and building regs?

So my product could also be another source of work for you guys if you ever see an incorrect installation!

I think I am right by saying that if you contravene the water regs it is a criminal offence (because of the way that the legislation was written or introduced) and that the user (i.e. building owner) is liable as well. Not that anyone has ever been charged with an offence when fitting an under counter hot water heater incorrectly.

But just think about the business you could generate? It goes something like this

"sir/madam do you realise that your water heater contravenes the water regs installed like that (undue consumption clause) And for 1/2 to 1 hours labour charge plus the cost of a couple of fittings and the product ÂŁ15.99 + vat + mark up) I can fix it for you?"

Thanks Mike what a super idea, I'll pm you over an NDA

Cheers

Russ

What about getting your local college involved in evaluating ? They have they

What about getting your local college involved in evaluating? They have the bays etc to do an install, and the apprentices could mess about with getting it right, I suppose there might be an issue with the confidentiality side if it's in the college

Hi Kirk

A great idea in terms of further evaluation, but I think at this stage you are correct in that the confidentiality part would be difficult if not impossible to manage.

However, its still a good thought once we have launched the product, to enable them a chance to test the unit in a "non-approved" manner, but would or may still be a valuable marketing tool.

Thanks for your input.

Russ

I work part time in two colleges, when you want them tested get back to me, the apprentices must get taught traditional skills but I believe they benefit from some different things as well, it let's them see what else is out there,

20140228_143147.jpg20140228_143158.jpg20140228_143210.jpg20140228_143350.jpg

Thought this was a good recent example of how your product might be needed.
Did this job afew weeks ago - Yet to be paid....
Mind you, it's still in the same state. I just replaced a check valve so it may well have blown up shortly after I left.

Hi TP

Wow that's a real mish mash of pipework!

my product will still need at least 125mm of vertical separation between the discharge outlet and the waste pipe. It's not an absolute miracle as it still relies on the fact that water runs downhill!

Russ

Well done! Nice work. Your patents done now?

Thanks Ermi

Yes Patent applied for but still don't want to officially go "public" yet!

Fancy coming on board to evaluate the product to see if I have missed anything?

Cheers

Russ

Am I missing somethimg? It sounds awfully like you have reinvented a tundish

Am I missing somethimg? It sounds awfully like you have reinvented a tundish

Hi Kay-jay

Yes your right, that was a starter for ten, now for ten bonus points can you tell me the twist I have invented?

Cheers

Russ

Sounds like a tundish, with a bladder type seal to prevent back flow or smell.

Maybe Hepworth have patented the bladder trap so yours may be different?

We discharge our prvs into a hep20 trap, What is different that you have invented?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Evaluation of product required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I work for a company that makes silicone dispensers and we're running a small focus group in Hungerford (UK) on 14th June to get feedback on some...
Replies
Views
Hello all! I'm a first time DIY-er and I am taking out a new build crappy vanity unit to replace with a wooden vanity with countertop basin...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock