Search the forum,

Discuss Electric Unvented vs Thermal Store/Vented Cylinder with Small Stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We currently have a traditional hot water cylinder with an immersion and connection to a multi-fuel stove with a 10k BTU (3KW?) boiler. The DHW is provided by the immersion over the summer and the stove over the winter. We've got a bath and 2 electric showers, and (honestly) no heating in the house other than the stove, and we don't intend to install CH any time soon. The problem is there's never enough hot water to fill the bath, and due to the uncontrollable stove input the hot water is often closer to steam....

The plan was to improve the hot water temperature and flow (mains cold pressure is very good) and replace one of the showers with a thermostatic mixer. The options seem to be an electric unvented with 2 x immersions and lose the boiler from the stove (it can be removed and room heating output improved), or a smallish thermal store with one immersion and keep the boiler input.

Any experience from the coal face would be appreciated, or any alternative suggestions.

Cheers,

Rich

tbh i would go with a thermal store

but anyone working on the system should be hetas registered

Thanks for the responses so far. A thermal store was initially my first choice, but as the stove input is pretty small and thermal stores are a few hundred quid more expensive than the equivalent unvented, is the only real benefit of the thermal store not needing a G3 plumber and annual servicing?

Cheers!

Thanks for the responses so far. A thermal store was initially my first choice, but as the stove input is pretty small and thermal stores are a few hundred quid more expensive than the equivalent unvented, is the only real benefit of the thermal store not needing a G3 plumber and annual servicing?

Cheers!

Basically yes , although they are not expensive to service , to fit one apart from your onsite pressure and flow being adequate your main problem is running the discharge pipe which obviously depends on cylinder location etc etc

Reply to Electric Unvented vs Thermal Store/Vented Cylinder with Small Stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock