1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Electric Shower Finally Died in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Nigel Foster

Nigel Foster Member

Hiya

I say finally because it's been a temperamental swine for a few years!

Model: Triton Osiris
    Previous Issue: Heater suddenly cuts out, runs cold
    Previous Issue Remedy: Turn up to max heat until thermostat clicks then slowly turn back to required temperature (could take several attempts)
    Current Issue: No heat at all. No click as before. Just runs cold

1) Light still comes on pull-switch box
    2) Shower still runs when power button clicked (but only cold)
    3) TCO has continuity

I've now exhausted my very limited plumbing/electrical knowledge! Any suggestions what else I can try?

Thanks so much for reading. I do appreciate your time, whether you can help or not!

Nigel

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yes , the most obvious one lol

3. Nigel Foster

Nigel Foster Member

Enlighten me! Thermostat? If so, how do I confirm this? What does it look like? You're talking to a keen but inexperienced novice here!

4. townfanjon

Lol, a new shower pal , are you a Yorkshire man ?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Nigel Foster

Nigel Foster Member

Haha! No, but I am tight!

That was my first idea but we're a bit hard up at the moment so I Googled a bit and someone suggested checking the TCO. I could have got a replacement one for £15 and fitted it in 5 mins if that had been the problem.

6. townfanjon

I am one , lol .
    I suppose I am looking at this thinking what would I do on behalf of customer obviously not wanting any grief or comeback on an ancient shower, I honestly could not repair it because something else would go wrong the week after . It would have to be a replacement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. John.g

John.g Active Member

The TCO (item 13) in this shower is non re settable and has to be renewed so assuming you have continuity then it could possibly be the temperature regulator which is located in the outlet which is not resetting (item 16), and easy to check for continuity.
    http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/custom/upload/File-1379593830.pdf

8. CBW1982

CBW1982 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Please only check info you are competent with electrics:
    Check resistance of heating elements, check power to heating elements - could be microswitch.

9. Nigel Foster

Nigel Foster Member

Thanks for your reply John. I checked the temp regulator as you suggested - it has continuity.

10. Nigel Foster

Nigel Foster Member

Cheers for that. I guess that means removing and disassembling the can...? Getting out of my comfort zone now!

11. Nigel Foster

Nigel Foster Member

I guess hidden in my original question (with the outline of my historic problems with the shower) is: is a replacement electric shower going to solve all this or could the initial problem (which may even have triggered the final demise of the shower) have been caused by low water pressure? I struggle to get 8 litres/minute out of my cold tap.

12. John.g

John.g Active Member

Flow/stabilizing switch? common to both micro switches. Maybe try on low power and try lower flow to see if one micro switch is making and as above suggestions... heating elements resistances , micro switches etc.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CBW1982

No need to disassemble the can. The top of the heating element has 2 or sometimes 3 elements (usually high Kw showers) which are easy enough to check. I assume you have a multimeter? Also the obvious - check you have got approx 240v.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  14. CBW1982

If you’re struggling with flow, check your incoming mains stopcock is open fully with approx 1/8th turn closed. This might have been why it was going hot and cold,also check the shower head and hose for blockages/restrictions.

15. CBW1982

A new electric shower would probably resolve the issue.

• Agree Agree x 3