Search the forum,

Discuss Eddy Electronic Water Descaler - does it work in hard water area? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at water softeners/descalers as there is too much limescale everywhere in my flat (hard water area in London).

I heard years ago that electronic devices are insufficient for hard water areas, but they do keep the minerals intact which is nice. And they do not add salt to the water.

Have they improved in recent year or is the technology the same?

This one seems to get good reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddy-Electronic-Water-Descaler-Alternative/dp/B005FWYX9C

Any thoughts?

1. The softener refill elements appear to cost almost £300 and need renewing every 3 years. So £100 per annum.
2. You need to make sure that the flow rate through it is adequate to support the rest of your system in normal usage.
3. Ion exchange ("proper") water softeners do not add salt to the water. Salt solution is used to periodically and automatically flush the zeolites which remove the hardness, and is then washed away to waste. Only the slightest traces of salt remain in the zeolites, in some cases less than occurs naturally. However, it is recommended that softened water is not drunk by those with heart conditions, the very young or the very old. The kitchen cold tap should always be fed with unsoftened water. Also some boiler manufacturers will not honour the warranty if unsoftened water is used to fill the primary circuits or for domestic hot water in the case of combi boilers.

I used to live in a hard water area and the only way is a proper salt based softener with filter for kitchen sink just check with boiler maker (Most are ok) if it is acceptable for your boiler, believe me it will a massive improvement to the amount of detergents / bathing product's that you use Not cheep to have one but you will save money in other ways , dish washing, washing machine, kettles, detergents etc.

Oh forgot to mention I have a megaflow unit (top floor flat)...does that spoil the party?

Would love to have something compact and low maintenance (i.e. no need to buy salt) post-installation if possible :) Is there a particular system you'd recommend if the Ecoplus is no good?

Last edited:
There are 3 types of water softener:
1. The magnetic sort (either permanent magnet or coil round the pipe). It is usually suggested these alter the properties of the hardness causing chemicals by making them not deposit from the water, which remains hard. Normally recommended they be installed close to the appliance to be protected. I have never seen any real proof that they work, and personally regard them as useless.
2. Chemical, normally some form of polyphosphate. These coat the wetted surface of appliances with a food grade polyphosphate layer, thus preventing the build up of lime scale. The polyphosphate is added to the water as it flows through a container, and it gradually dissolved and requires replenishment every 6 to 12 months. The water remains hard.
3. Ion exchange. The water flows over a bed of zeolites. These effectively "absorb" the hardness causing chemicals resulting in soft water. Over time (generally a day to a week) the zeolites become saturated with "hardness" and have to be regenerated. The regeneration is done by washing the zeolites with brine, which takes the hardness particles into solution. The brine runs to waste, and at the end of regeneration, fresh water is run over the zeolites, also going to waste, to remove most traces of salt. The regeneration happens automatically, either by timer or by recognition that the outflowing water is harder than it should be. The output water is soft.

I've had (the same) "Permutit" ion exchange water softener for 30 years, during which it has been serviced twice and broken down once.

I used to have the Block salt type and found it very good being in London I would think the salt type to be your best bet, But get the hardness tested and make a decision from there ! just a thought the one I had with along with a drinking water filter cost over £800. but you get what you pay for 10 years no problems.

If you want to do the job properly (and once) then invest in a block salt water softener. Think long term (say 20 years) and consider it an investment which you can take with you when you move. I have had water softeners for 45 years, initially a Permutit (my brother was a Permutit engineer) then Kinetico and now Harveys. Yes, some uninformed boiler manufacturers express doubts about softened water being used in their boilers, especially when used with an aluminium heat exchanger, but none have provided proof that that their boiler and softened water are incompatible. If still in doubt boiler installers will fit a by-pass so that the system can be filled with hard water.
Go for it you know it makes sense and you will not regret the outlay. Buy cheap and you will buy twice!

I'm worried about drinking the water though...how does water from bathroom tap taste with the water softener?

So Ecoplus is no good? I like idea of not having to buy salt!

I'm worried about drinking the water though...how does water from bathroom tap taste with the water softener?

So Ecoplus is no good? I like idea of not having to buy salt!
water will taste a lot better you will not taste any salt it is ok to drink only under certain circumstances it is not suitable . have a chat with Harvey's in Old Woking 01483 753404 been making them for years one of the best on the market

Last edited:
If you take a glass of water from your kitchen tap and a glass of water from your bathroom tap, leave them to stand so they are the same temperature, you will not be able to taste the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Eddy Electronic Water Descaler - does it work in hard water area? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock