Search the forum,

Discuss Easy question, broken coil? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hi all,
Got a quick one,
Sister in law has been told her coil in the cylinder has broken.
How can I prove this?

They don’t want to fork out for new cylinder unless they have to (they have had multiple faults on thier boiler which eventually got resolved)

Also, they had the cylinder drained and replaced the 3port valve a couple days ago, that’s when the overflow in loft started leaking, got a guy out who said the coil is gone...

So... how can I prove this?
Cheers

Edd

What sort of heating system have you?
Sealed system will drop in pressure.
Open vented system will have small feed & vent tank which will fill water in if higher than large cold tank

Cheers

Not sure what kind of engineer he was, assimehe is gas as was looking primarily at boiler in first instance. Yeah I have done a course, haven’t worked with cylinders much before though as I work in hospital maintenance (let the jokes begin!)

It’s a vented system, originally thought the best way may be to check the f and e level compared to the storage tank, however, if the 3pv is shut to the hot water, the tanks would level out. So surely need to test by opening the coil only, then checking out levels.
Just wondering for any quick and easy tips or obvious other faults it coulda been as not sure I trust this guy (came out 4 times before boiler was fixed) made a mint it’s the sister in law.
Pressure test would clear it up for sure tho.

Cheers
Edd

Is it the F&E that is overflowing ?
Does it do it all the time?
Where is the water coming from, if it is the E&F O/F?
Water finds its own level does it not? closing the 3PV on the flow doesn't stop it going back up the return!!
Should be able to work it out, without the need to pressure test it, but if the E&F is lower the the CWSC (which it should be) then draining the heating & disconnecting the the coil con's you should see the water leaking out.

Reduce level in f&e to literally just below overflow.
Isolate supply to cylinder. Open hw tap till it stops flowing. Close tap.
Turn off htg & hw.
Let all stabilise.
Deisolate supply to cylinder & leave.
If f&e overflow goes again coil is goosed

We once went out for a meal with our neighbours. I sat next to Julie the neighbours wife. All through the meal I could smell plumbing and thought it was me, so asked wife later did I smell, answer no. So next day called round to tell Julies husband that their cylinder had a broken coil and Julie was bathing in central heating water and stank. He made a story up
and I replaced the cylinder
happy days. centralheatking

We once went out for a meal with our neighbours. I sat next to Julie the neighbours wife. All through the meal I could smell plumbing and thought it was me, so asked wife later did I smell, answer no. So next day called round to tell Julies husband that their cylinder had a broken coil and Julie was bathing in central heating water and stank. He made a story up
Now that is my kind of girl !!! ;)

Hahaha I've heard it all now.

Reply to Easy question, broken coil? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Everyone, I have customer with solar that doesn't seem to be working so only gets 1/2 a tank of hot water which is heated by the central heating system. She can't find a company to come out and service the wet solar system and she is looking at getting loft conversion in the future will...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined specifically to try to get an answer to my question. I have an 88yo mother-in-law who is recently widowed and her 90yo husband who has since passed insisted on doing everything for himself. Nothing wrong with that but now that he has gone my wife...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if you could help me. The overflow pipe drips intermittently from the large cold water storage tank in the loft. Not the small F and E tank. The ball valve has been checked and is working ok. The vent pipe from the hot water cylinder is not venting any water into the tank, and the...
Replies
Views
Hope someone can suggest where I should looking to resolve this one... I have a Bosch 30Cdi regular boiler on an S plan system with a 180L vented, indirect hot water cylinder. Boiler Temperature is set to 5 (67c) and the stat on the Hot water cylinder is set just below 60c. A Honeywell DU144...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've got a leak coming from the loft into a bedroom which I think is caused by water overflow from feed and expansion cistern (see attached one of the photos when I found out the cistern overflowing above the overflow pipe) and one other pipe that has a small drops coming out of it that is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock