Search the forum,

Discuss Ducting for kitchen extractor fan in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We moved into a house with a gas Aga (I think converted from oil). The extraction pipe is fitted against and runs through an external wall, then up the outside of the external wall. The ducting pipe circumference is about 32cm, so about 10cm diameter. There is no extractor fan in the kitchen. We want to replace the Aga with a range and fit an extractor hood above it, ducting out of the same pipework that currently takes the Aga fumes. Will the Aga ducting be OK or do we need to fit wider ducting - I have read 150mm diameter is often needed for extractors and we have a large kitchen so would need a strong extractor.

Thanks gmartine. There are some issues about the order of work. Let's say we are looking at a NEFF N50 D65IHM1S2B whose product specs (on ao.com) says "Ducting diameter: 120mm / 150mm". My first question is what do those two different measurements mean?

The range and extractor will be fitted as part of a kitchen refurb in a few months. In the meantime, we need some roofing work done urgently and while the scaffolding is up we want the external flue replaced because it is rusty. Can that external work sensibly be done before the extractor is fitted, and if so what size external flue? Currently the external flue is about 42cm circumference.

120 / 150mm, means 120mm minimum, 150mm maximum diameter of the ducting from the fan.
150mm is the hole size on the extract hood, 120mm would use a reducer to connect to it.
The longer the discharge pipe is, the greater the resistance so the diameter needs to be larger.

Domestic kitchen extracts normally discharge through an external wall, they don't need to rise to roof level and I doubt that the small fan in the hood would push air that far, you'd probably need an external boost fan in the external stack if you need to go to roof level.

42cm circumference = 13.37cm diameter or 133.70mm so a 125.00 mm diameter replacment will be in spec.

However as above, what's the flue termination height and will the motor be able to overcome that as it's more usual to terminate flue horizontally and out of the nearest wall. Again consult manufacturer.

Reply to Ducting for kitchen extractor fan in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock