Search the forum,

Discuss Dual fuel towel rads in zone 2 in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening all, not sure if I should be asking sparkies ? I have a qualified and experienced gas fitter installing a new system in a small rural cottage. I am having a friendly discussion about the location of heated towel rad. You open the door to the bathroom and to one side is the tap end of bath along with sink/toilet.

Opposite is the door and just enough space for a narrow towel rad. I mentioned that at some point in the future I might install a electric element . Unfortunately he decided to move the rad away from the tail end of the bath so that the element would be just outside of the 600 mm spec for zone 2. This all good except that the door opens and hits edge of the rad. Do I need to figure out if the IP rating for an element would ok within the 600 mm. The electrical outlet would be outside of the 600 mm with a short cable.

I did ask a local electrician who is qualified and registered with ?? . He shrugged his shoulders and thought 50 mm inside zone 2 would not be an issue.

I am thinking of renting the place out. Any thoughts

The key thing is where is the isolation switch And the manufacturers instructions say about the rad

if the isolation switch that is within zone 2 it’s a no no, but if it’s outside zone 2 and the MIs say it’s ok in zone 2 you are good to go

ps what do you mean by outlet?

Rcd FCUs are no longer allowed , nor are RCD sockets

you need to get the sparky onsite ***.
Yes and maybe a different one and not the one I already consulted despite his NECEIC registration.
There was an idea of using the feed that was used for the now disused emersion heater actually it was a fortic tank.

I sometimes wonder how folk keep up with it all.

THANK YOU again

I sometimes wonder how folk keep up with it all.

interesting point

the idiots, yes IDIOTS who make up JPEL/64 , have absolutely no idea that most sparks don’t read all the updates, and the few that do have no time for the manufacturers who are on this committee , who profit from influencing it

talk about conflicts of interest

AND these manufacturers spend none of their profits educating Joe Public

4 years to retirement , and thank god for that

the lunatics ARE running the asylum

To allay your worries.
Use a stainless steel towel rad, a correctly rated thermostatic element (can have switch on it in a ‘bubble’ ) or switched with a pull cord with neon or switched from outside the room.

These can even go in a shower if correctly specified- like you say, time for a new sparky.

Reply to Dual fuel towel rads in zone 2 in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock