1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss dripping tap on bathroom sink i in the Valves & Taps area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

  1. ploppers

    ploppers New Member

    The gotcha is that it is a tap and sink is in China, though it was bought at B&Q there.

    B&Q closed in China a few years ago. I thought I might be able to replace the 'cartridge' (is that what it's called?) with one bought here in the UK, and take it with me on my next trip. I had someone send me photos, but I can't find anything like that at B&Q or in Google searches.

    The alternative is to replace the whole tap, but the B&Q guy I spoke to said that the holes in sinks in the UK are typically (I think he said) 15cm apart, and it seems like the holes in our taps are more like 12cm apart (centre-2-centre). Visually, they look 'narrower' too.

    I guess we might end up trying to find the cartridge in China, and/or replace the whole tap with one sourced there.

    I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this, and perhaps some way of sourcing the parts here.

    The taps look like this:


    and the cartridge:


    What do you think?

  2. YorkshireDave

    YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

    Have to confess that, as many as Ive seen, I've never seen the likes of that. Sorry
  3. JCplumb

    JCplumb Plumber

    Same here and my guess is that Dave's seen many thousands more cartridges than I have.
    I'd be looking at new taps with easily replaceable parts, you could get really lucky and find what you need but you'll probably pay through the nose for it and you'll also probably have to go through the same thing in about 5 years.
  4. YorkshireDave

    YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

    Knowing the price & choices avail in China, personally I'd simply replace with individual taps & blank the centre hole.
  5. ploppers

    ploppers New Member

    Thanks guys. It does sound like this isn't something you find in the UK - the tap nor the cartridge - so it is only something I'd find in China. Since it is in China, I might as well just resign myself to attempting to find the parts and/or replacement tap there too.

    BTW, there is no 'centre hole' (afaik) - there is a hole for each of hot and cold, and those holes are closer together than what seems 'normal' (if it isn't an actual standard) in the UK.

    Thanks for clearing that up for me :D
  6. YorkshireDave

    YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

    Just two stand alone taps then ;)
  7. ploppers

    ploppers New Member

    Eh? That isn't what it is, but I suppose it could be replaced by two taps.

    ...well, I don't *think* it is supplied through a single hole in the middle, but I'm not there right now. It's quite possible I'm wrong about that.
  8. YorkshireDave

    YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

    In the absence of xray vision, one can only suggest alternatives ;)
  9. ploppers

    ploppers New Member

    Indeed, I guess I could get someone to take some photos from underneath, but there isn't much point, I think, since the general conclusion seems sound to me - ie that it makes more sense to try to find the bits in China.

    Thanks to all.
  10. YorkshireDave

    YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

    TBH, in my experience, that is your only choice. Good luck.
Similar Threads - dripping bathroom sink Forum Date
Single lever monobloc mixer tap with new cartridge is still leaking (not dripping from spout). Valves & Taps Yesterday at 8:10 PM
F n e tank vent pipe dripping Plumbing Forum Jun 15, 2019