Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Dreading it, Fitting the bath in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

Hi all,

Tomorrow is gonna be day i have been dreading, me and water do not get along apart from having a wash:D

New bath has arrived, gotta fit the following:

• Bath
    • Taps
    • Overflow
    • Legs

As the bath/legs did not come with anchors to keep the bath against the wall i am gonna fit some battens too the far right back, and the far left front to keep it more sturdy.

Some questions....

For the overflow, do i need to put any sealent? if so where and what type of sealent?

I am going to put some adhesive around the left and back of the bath edge as that is the only parts that is touching the walls, any recommendations for the adhesive?

For the bath i was thinking some: Evo-Stik Serious stuff Solvent free Grab adhesive.

Going to B&Q tomorrow to get the stuff i need so any help of what i should get would be much appreciated.

Here is some piccys of what i have to fit:

The Straight Coupler is just for me to adjust the length of the pipe as it's not long enough.

Bath-min.jpg

Legs-min.jpg

Overflow-min.jpg

Straight Coupler-min.jpg

Tap-min.jpg

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Have fun mate and good luck.

3. Fletcher

Fletcher New Member

One thing at a time and the end result will be in sight

4. island fling

island fling Member

Personally when I install a bath;
    1) Check the wall is square.
    2) Fit timbers to the back walls (where bath touches the walls) at your hight that works for your bath panel, nice & level so the bath will be well supported.
    3) Fit the taps, overflow & waste kit.
    4) Use CT1 (good sealer & grab) about 20mm above the timber then push the bath in hard against the wall.
    5) Drop the feet down to the floor.Ensuring all 4 sides are level, then screw the feet into the floor.
    6) Connect the trap to the waste kit & plumb in the waaste, Connect the hot & cold supplies.
    7) Fill the bath into the overflow, Check for leaks.
    8) All is sealed? Then fill the bath again & seal around with CT1 or a good bathroom sealant. Leave to seal for 24 hours.

When using sealant dont go too mad, nice even bead then spray plenty window cleaner over all the sealant & wipe off with your finger. It should leave you a nice even bead, you can wash off the window cleaner after the sealant has set.

Hope i covered everything there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Craig Watson

Craig Watson GSR Top Contributor!!

Firstly, measure your bath panel for height. Most floors aren't level so using a spirit level, determine where the lowest point in your floor is. From this point mark on the wall the height of the bath panel taking into consideration the thickness of any flooring going down. Then draw a level line all the way round where your bath is going. Using some 2x1 pse put a horizontal Baton to this line (line to the top of the baton) accross the width and length of the bath. Use any form of grab adhesive and plenty of screws. You want the baton to finish 20mm back from the bath edge to allow for the panel to fit under the bath. There is no need to stick the bath back to the wall. For your overflow and waste, silicone is not generally needed but placing some around the face of the rubber washers won't hurt and any sanitary sealant will be fine. After securing your bath legs, rest the bath on your batons and level the bath off with the feet making sure each one is firmly on the floor and screw them down. After you've attached the waste and taps fill the bath a little and test the waste, if all is good then fill the bath 3/4 full and seal round the edges touching the walls. Leave for 24 hours and your bath is ready for tiling. That's how I do it anyway. And avoid b&q, it's overpriced.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I do not fit plastic baths anymore. Pressed steel only, modern people tend to be bigger and heavier and shower lots putting stress on plastic baths....none of my holiday lets have plastic baths and all have rubber bath plugs ...no dings from chrome plugs. 10 out of 10 to the advisors above great advice well explained. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

Well i decided to not fit the bath yet as i thought i have to fit the ceiling first and did not want to stand on the new bath to do it, so decided ceiling first, was a nightmare getting the last piece in but all good now...piccy

2-min.JPG

8. Rob Foster

nice

9. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

Was wondering, when fitting new overflow & waste do you's use any sealent?

10. Rob Foster

oh yes, clear stuff in nice neat beads about 5 mm dia..see what the others say. chking

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

Is that a Kaldewei Eurowa bath? Seems to have the same legs if not.

12. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

It is indeed.

13. JayKay70

JayKay70 Member

Thanks, 5mm it is then....anywhere specific to put it?

Also can someone recommend a brand from here as i am going there tomorrow to get the wooden frame for the bath:

Sealants | DIY at B&Q

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 10:39 PM