Search the forum,

Discuss Draining prob G/F Rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, everyone newbie here, Trying to Drain system (open vent) to clean header tank, don't know which rad to use as all downstairs rads have drain cocks. manage to drain all top rads but apart from rad used to drain system all other downstairs rads still full!. All trv's and lockshields open and vented apart from G/F rads obviously.How do I find the right rad to use, cheers

The reason they all have drain cocks is because the down stairs rads are on drops , in other words they wont go down under the floor and then come back up . Its an educated guess your floors are concrete.

Hi, everyone newbie here, Trying to Drain system (open vent) to clean header tank, don't know which rad to use as all downstairs rads have drain cocks. manage to drain all top rads but apart from rad used to drain system all other downstairs rads still full!. All trv's and lockshields open and vented apart from G/F rads obviously.How do I find the right rad to use, cheers

To just work on F&E, any rad will do. You have done it. Get some paper and draw the system, it will become obvious

To just work on F&E, any rad will do. You have done it. Get some paper and draw the system, it will become obvious
Thanks for the replies, should have mentioned wanted to drain whole system to flush out and put chemicals in to clean and then after some time, drain and fill with cleaner, if I manually open diverter valves near HW tank will this help drain G/F rads?

Yes as it will allow air in from above but you will have to drain each individual downstairs radiator

Don't worry Stu, on it's way from sleezbay ÂŁ10.99 for fernox F1, not a bad deal, unless you know where to get these cheaper?
If you are going to clean out the system then flushing out the
black sludge is a good idea esp. with so many dropped rads. You might try the magnet trick
run a strong magnet along the bottom of the radiators it will loosen up the black sludge which is magnetic. If they are hot along the bottom dont bother. Rob Foster centralheatking

Reply to Draining prob G/F Rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a Worcester greenstar danesmoor 18/25 oil boiler. Covers 10 radiators mostly large double panels, some towel rails and smaller rads too, as well as an...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just tried to turn on my CH for the first time this year as I have a number of guests coming for xmas dinner but even after an hour all the rads are stone...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock