Search the forum,

Discuss Drained 2 rads for decorating. Now replaced but not heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Evenin'

I drained, removed and then replaced 2 large rads upstairs to decorate. And now they're only getting warm, and in patches, not evenly. The bottoms are almost cold, and some upper areas are actually quite hot.

It's a conventional boiler, gravity fed system.

I didn't touch anything in the loft, all valves are fully open on those two rads, and all other rads elsewhere are heating just fine.

Any clues to help get me warm please? I've a feeling that 'balancing' isn't the answer in this situation :(

They're new rads, and I had a power flush last year, so sadly not that :( Cheers though.

These are bigger rads than the originals - could it be the boiler isn't able to produce enough heated water?

Or because I drained two rads, there's now not enough on the system? Guessing it can't be that as surely it would refill automatically from the loft..... But I'm an amateur, so who knows!

They're new rads, and I had a power flush last year, so sadly not that :( Cheers though.

These are bigger rads than the originals - could it be the boiler isn't able to produce enough heated water?

Or because I drained two rads, there's now not enough on the system? Guessing it can't be that as surely it would refill automatically from the loft... But I'm an amateur, so who knows!

Possible air lock. Maybe

Unlikely to be an airlock if you haven’t drained the pipework and rest of system.
Slow flow through radiator, so might be air in radiator if it is a designer type. Or your radiator valves haven’t opened fully. A TRV can stick down

I'll give the suggestions a go tomorrow.

Thanks. You're a helpful bunch
Shoot the system up with mains water , connect hose to outside tap, then on to drain off on heating system open drain off open outside tap slowly then bleed all rads lowest first. Watch out turn outside tap off cause you can overfil the little feeder tank in the roof, water comes out of over flow. A good blast like this cures most ills
Rob Foster aka centralheatking
Good luck and let us know how you get on

Reply to Drained 2 rads for decorating. Now replaced but not heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Evening all. I have an open vented C/H system with a heat only boiler and 10 rads over 3 floors. I checked the system mid summer and all was ok. Now one radiator won’t get hot. ALL rads contain water, I have bled all rads. No hot water getting to flow pipe of cold rad. All other rads are...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My property is a 3-bed terraced with double glazing windows... It currently has no central heating, so I will get a new combi fitted shortly... However, I will be putting in the central heating. My question is, is it still necessary to have a lockshield on the hall rad? I assume that...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock