Search the forum,

Discuss Drain heating system ,megaflow, no outside drain off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pea69

Hi
can anyone advise?
trying to fit a new radiator upstairs.
There is no outside drain off valve and it is a megaflow system with boiler

can anyone help give advice of how to do it?

( please move if this is the wrong forum)

Hi
can anyone advise?
trying to fit a new radiator upstairs.
There is no outside drain off valve and it is a megaflow system with boiler

can anyone help give advice of how to do it?

( please move if this is the wrong forum)

If your sure there is no drain off valve anywhere (check all groundfloor rads) then isolate system electrically, then find a small radiator on the ground floor. Shut the radiator valves either side, then check there shut properly if your not sure by bleeding radiator, if the valves are both closed then no water or air will come out. Then undo radiator valves where it joins the radiator, thumb either side then lift off and empty outside. You can now have somewhere to connect onto to drain down.

Just noticed your just trying to change an upstairs rad, you can do the same for the upstairs radiator you are changing if you want, but it would be worth draining down properly and cutting a drain off in on the groundfloor.

Let us know how wet you get.

Also those instructions where for a sealed system, if its open vented then turn off cold mains to f and e tank aswell

Thanjs
I have looked outside on the walls and no sign of a drain off for the heating.
What does the valve look like if it's on the radiator?

if you have to ask what a drain off cock looks like, I would go as far as to say the task you have set yourself is well beyond your capabilities!

It's not me that's doing it.
Is this a valve for draining off?
This is attached to a radiator that is in a converted garage. The radiator branches off from a radiator in the the hall. image.jpg

Don't touch it get a plumber in or sombody who is capable off doing the job otherwise it will cause you a lot of hassle

if you need help let me know

If your sure there is no drain off valve anywhere (check all groundfloor rads) then isolate system electrically, then find a small radiator on the ground floor. Shut the radiator valves either side, then check there shut properly if your not sure by bleeding radiator, if the valves are both closed then no water or air will come out. Then undo radiator valves where it joins the radiator, thumb either side then lift off and empty outside. You can now have somewhere to connect onto to drain down.

Just noticed your just trying to change an upstairs rad, you can do the same for the upstairs radiator you are changing if you want, but it would be worth draining down properly and cutting a drain off in on the groundfloor.

Let us know how wet you get.

Also those instructions where for a sealed system, if its open vented then turn off cold mains to f and e tank aswell

thanks for the reply- what do I need to get to attach onto the valve to drain off the system?
is it like a hoselock attachment?

hi
ive got the instrctionsu that a poster left me to drain off the system due o not having a drain off valve.
can you tell me what I need to get so that I can attach a hose to the valve to drain off?

To drain the system via a radiator valve you need to remove the radiator, by closing both valves and bleeding the rad to make sure the valves are shut then remove the radiator by undoing each and and putting a thumb over it before black water squirts everywhere and then lift the rad off turn over and carry outside. Don't forget radiators are heavy when full so might need two people.

Attach a suitable fitting to the valve end depending on the valve the fitting will vary,
Attach a hose to the fitting by heating the hose In boiling water and pushing over a lenth of copper pipe, then attaching two jubilee clips to secure it, then attach the pipe to the valve, via the fitting needed, then take the hose to a suitable drain, foul drain not rainwater. Then open the valve on the Radiator and open the bleeds up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drain heating system ,megaflow, no outside drain off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock