Search the forum,

Discuss Domestic installation in a commercial property in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Matthew Score

Gas Engineer
Hi,

I have been a gas engineer since 2003 but I have been off the tools in management since 2010 so a little rusty with changers to the regs.

I have a situation for the company I work for which is as follows:

The building is classed as a commercial property, it has 3 combi boilers installed all fed from there own u6 meter and individual gas supplies.

Our usual heating contractor says he can't swap them as they are classified as commercial and they only have domestic engineers.

My understanding was the switch between domestic and commercial was to do with system volume, anything greater than 0.035m3 is commercial anything less domestic.

It just seems strange a company would turn work away.

I have my ACOPS renewal later in the year, which will be difficult as I have managed a gas contract for over 3 years just domestic repairs

whats the building?

Dom only required as there fed by a u6 meter so

If they were working supply / fed side com

ask him why he thinks that?

if they have there own supply defo dom

sorry i through you meant they were fed off a bigger meter eg u40

ask him why he thinks that?

if they have there own supply defo dom

sorry i through you meant they were fed off a bigger meter eg u40

He says there was a question similar in his test which he got wrong on his first go at the question, he says he doesn't agree but that's what he was told, when he questioned it.

It doesn't make sense at all as the regulations only talk about system volume as far as I can see.

He also said it's the same if a boiler is classed as commercial by the manufacturer.

Yes if manufacturering classes as com the needs com engy

IGEM/UP/1B
Tightness testing and direct purging of small Liquefied Petroleum Gas/Air, Natural Gas and Liquefied Petroleum Gas installations
This Standard covers tightness testing and direct purging of pipework containing either LPG/Air, NG or LPG and applies to any section of pipework, including meters, having the following:

• MOP at the outlet of the emergency control valve not exceeding 2 bar for NG and LPG/Air and
  • A nominal bore of not greater than 35 mm and
  • A maximum badged capacity through the primary meter of not exceeding 16 m3 h-1 and
  • A maximum installation volume supplying an individual dwelling or non domestic premises of 0.035 m3 (this volume includes the Meter)
That's the bit you're asking about I think, hope it helps!

If it's a domestic meter and a domestic boiler then it's a domestic installation.

I've done many boilers in factories, offices, pubs etc I spoke to gas safe about it as we were not sure but they were happy with it.

Reply to Domestic installation in a commercial property in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock