Search the forum,

Discuss does gas hob need rigid connection? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesky

Gas Engineer
hi all, i am in training of gas safe, one plumber told me that gas hob should use rigid pipe, i know gas cooker can use flexible hose for connection but really not sure about gas hob...

cheers

it actually says in BS6891 that a flexi can be used unless otherwise stated in the MI that a rigid pipe must be used, it further expands that if a flexi is allowed it needs to conform with BS691 (I think it is this one) which says the flexi should not come in contact with a surface over 70 degrees C or subjected to damage from drawer runners etc

Here it is:

BS 6172

11.1.3 Unless stated otherwise in the manufacturer’s instructions, a gas hob shall be connected to the
termination point by a rigid fixed connection.
11.1.6 Where rigid pipework is used, an isolation valve with means of disconnection shall be provided.

rigid yes cooker hose no for a start it will be unlikely it can hang in a loop,secondly if its a built in oven under the hob it will touch it and melt and its so rough its like cowboy territory so cooper with a gas quality isolation valve the ONLY way to do it

the thing that amazes me is were suppose to keep wires away from gas pipes and on a hob they are allowed to come out adjacent they should be on opposite side of the hob

Kirk is using a different British Standard when he says "it actually says in BS6891 that a flexi can be used unless otherwise stated in the MI that a rigid pipe must be used,".

I think that I will stick with BS 6172 as thats in line with my recollection and I dont want to leard new tricks unless its absolutely necessary!

Tony

he knows them all ,he uses them every they and modified them to suit the job :))))

Kirk is using a different British Standard when he says "it actually says in BS6891 that a flexi can be used unless otherwise stated in the MI that a rigid pipe must be used,".

I think that I will stick with BS 6172 as thats in line with my recollection and I dont want to leard new tricks unless its absolutely necessary!

Tony

it is a typo by me, the quote is correct but as you say it is from 6172, (BS 6891 is for installation pipework)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to does gas hob need rigid connection? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock