Search the forum,

Discuss Does being a long term sole trader count against in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Im now in my mid 40s and over the last few months i have been looking at a job on the cards. I have been a bit fussy about what i want due to not wanting hard slog installs.

Thing is im not hearing much back of anything , i have always thought that being a long term self employed when it comes to the cards employers just think you will jump at first offer from a customer. Or at my age would want to much and lads in their 20s are more eager(which is true to a point).

Has anyone else found this in this position

Im now in my mid 40s and over the last few months i have been looking at a job on the cards. I have been a bit fussy about what i want due to not wanting hard slog installs.

Thing is im not hearing much back of anything , i have always thought that being a long term self employed when it comes to the cards employers just think you will jump at first offer from a customer. Or at my age would want to much and lads in their 20s are more eager(which is true to a point).

Has anyone else found this in this position

IMHO this is simply not a good time because the ***** in London who supposedly represent us cannot make up their minds. This means most people are simply putting plans on hold which impacts us all.

Personally I'd postpone this till we are in/out and people can make plans again.

IMHO this is simply not a good time because the ***** in London who supposedly represent us cannot make up their minds. This means most people are simply putting plans on hold which impacts us all.

Personally I'd postpone this till we are in/out and people can make plans again.

This is already having an impact on my work hence why im looking to go on the cards plus a few other reasons

Dont do it!!!!! The grass is not greener.

After 3 years I went back employed as i was too busy and had a lot of stress outside of work so thought employment was the best option.

Yes you can turn off after work and you get paid every month but you end up following others round because they cant do the job or just too lazy they all seem to want call out the workload now is just getting stupid (probably thanks to bg I think they now give workers 45 min per job)

I must admit since I started back up my installs have slowed compared to what they were but I'm getting enough services and breakdowns to keep me ticking over and once something happens with Brexit (I'm not holding my breath) people will know what they are doing and can plan.

To be honest I am earning enough just doing the small jobs and I like that I have quite a bit of free time that I can spend with my family or more importantly stop off at a beach for a quick surf.

If you really want to go employed though ask at the merchants it's always the best place to ask and if you are good they will put a good word in for you as well. I know my local merchant they have 3 jobs on the counter at the moment for breakdown engineers.

Reply to Does being a long term sole trader count against in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Was looking for some advice as I've been looking online for answers but can't seem to find any relevant ones, maybe as there's a couple different aspects to the question I'm asking. I'm a sole trader, predominantly fitting kitchens & bathrooms, fair bit of call out work for leaks etc...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not many have a sub to Telegraph (neither do I) but this is the article in full. As for the statement by BG, I haven't corroborated it but it seems an odd...
Replies
Views
J
Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I'm looking for some advice with regards to a recent (nightmare) new gas boiler install. Our old gas combi boiler needed replacing, so we shopped around and got a deal via BOXT. Our understanding is that BOXT then sub-contract to local...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
Very short version. Im a sole trader of only 10 months, but an experieced Plumber of 30 years. Installed a bathroom for a customer, they wanted me to source everything for them and have it delivered directly to them, which l did, once everything had been received by the customer, they then paid...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock