Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy Bypass Preventing Condensing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Screenshot_20181030-125425.png
IMG_20181030_112721.jpg

I am always surprised that Boilers don't display return temperatures. I manually adjust flow temps to achieve a return of about 53 as a form of weather compensation. Last time the best flow temp was 62 with return 54 and as you can see my solid walled home couldn't get there.

A hand on the return pre and post bypass showed the problem. Radiator returns were in the 40s. I estimate 50% of boiler flow was heading straight back. Interestingly the valve stayed jammed open even after the foreign body was out, presumably due to wear. It is a big aperture, so even a slight opening has a large curtain area.

Quick swap, Boiler temps now 70 - 50 and boiler output up from 10kw to 16kw.

I know this is not rare, but the lesson for me is to check return temps before and after the bypass regularly, when the system has recently started up.

View attachment 35187 View attachment 35189
I am always surprised that Boilers don't display return temperatures. I manually adjust flow temps to achieve a return of about 53 as a form of weather compensation. Last time the best flow temp was 62 with return 54 and as you can see my solid walled home couldn't get there.

A hand on the return pre and post bypass showed the problem. Radiator returns were in the 40s. I estimate 50% of boiler flow was heading straight back. Interestingly the valve stayed jammed open even after the foreign body was out, presumably due to wear. It is a big aperture, so even a slight opening has a large curtain area.

I know this is not rare, but the lesson for me is to check return temps before and after the bypass regularly, when the system has recently started up.
I love stuff like this , it’s very informative thank you
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

There is very little about this out there when I searched. So I posted this. I wondered how many boilers out there fail to condense for this reason, and how many are checked for this.

A man of great esteem and intellect such as Robert perhaps feels this stuff beneath them, their advice being to fit a leaky filter thingy I suppose.

View attachment 35187 View attachment 35189

some do, good ones

Reply to Dodgy Bypass Preventing Condensing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock