Search the forum,

Discuss Do your own tiling work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just like anything we do a few minutes having a think about something and setting out can save hours in the long run.

Armyash, you might find yourself getting more work and money from tiling than plumbing. All the tilers I know are fully booked months in advance.

I'm no expert but the basics of tiling (adhesive, grout etc) are fairly straight forward. It's the setting out, measuring up etc that's harder.

Bit like most trades really!

If only! Theres no such thing as basic Tiling!

I wonder how many of these Handy men chaps are Usuing Pva as a bonding agent using tubbed gear in wet areas or tubbed gear for large format Tiles not water proofing wet areas and not sealing porcelain Tiling onto fresh plaster? or does none of this count in BASIC bathroom tiling.

Sooner this country takes a lead from countrys like Norway or Canada and tightens up regs the better.

One of the biggest benefits in my eyes of serving a traditional apprenticeship versus say a 6 week course is your taught discipline and to have respect for TRADESMEN in general and there respective trades.

I wouldnt let say my mechanic near my boiler because its a "SIMMILAR" trade or discipline.

Armyash, you might find yourself getting more work and money from tiling than plumbing. All the tilers I know are fully booked months in advance.

I'm hearing that a lot lately, I'm hoping plumbing works out but gaining other qualifications too...just in case :)

If only! Theres no such thing as basic Tiling!

I wonder how many of these Handy men chaps are Usuing Pva as a bonding agent using tubbed gear in wet areas or tubbed gear for large format Tiles not water proofing wet areas and not sealing porcelain Tiling onto fresh plaster? or does none of this count in BASIC bathroom tiling.

Sooner this country takes a lead from countrys like Norway or Canada and tightens up regs the better.

One of the biggest benefits in my eyes of serving a traditional apprenticeship versus say a 6 week course is your taught discipline and to have respect for TRADESMEN in general and there respective trades.

I wouldnt let say my mechanic near my boiler because its a "SIMMILAR" trade or discipline.

I didn't mean any offence. I was more along the lines of simple splash backs and the basis of putting tiles on the wall straight, etc is basic and easy. It's the things you've pointed out that make it more difficult.

At last, general concensus that all the Tiler chappies are indeed on an equal par with us wonderful plumbers! LOL

Like your avatar Resolute just put me in the mood for a wee 16yr old.......

Lagavulin of course :wink:

Way ahead, I started an hour ago. Funny how after a few drams, two bottom ends of the bottle appears. One half full and one half empty.

I'm on Balvenie double wood tonight! And like System started around an hour ago!

I took the photo of an old jug in a quaint pub in the lake district!

I'm on Balvenie double wood tonight! And like System started around an hour ago!

I took the photo of an old jug in a quaint pub in the lake district!

Got a bottle of that a couple of Christmas's ago , cracking half that, one of Grants I think?
Got the Lagavulin up in Skye in October from the Talisker distillery, never used to like the peaty stuff funny how your tastes change.

I hear what you are saying Brian. All the trades are suffering the same from the instant tradesman thing. Pick up the paper or listen to the radio and you get the be a "tradesman" in 6 weeks. It does my nut in too but there is little we can do. Trades are changing for the worst and we are all trying to keep afloat in the rising tide. If that means crossing trades then i'm afraid if i have the skills i will do it. I will do anything i am capable and confident in to make a wage.

Back to the topic tho.
I am a decent enough tiler. I have had enough practice at it and can do as good a job or better than your average site tiler but i had a lot of learning and practice doing hotel bathrooms for 3 years with a wee cornish scouser! who showed me the ropes (we were paid on completion so it became a joint effort). After a wee while we were doing 2 completed bathrooms a day. Suite floor and walls done, 2 of us and a labourer. Hard work but good money, better than i'm doing now.
This was in the late 90's. Wedi board and cement board was a new thing in this country but the wee man had spent 10 years doing up east germany before i met him and was switched on to it all as he had been using it over there.
I learned a lot from him even though i led him off the straight and narrow when we went out at night and i wanted to shg for scotland:lol:

Now if i can't tile a council house bathroom there would be no hope for me but depending on the tiles and the workload i will get a guy in to do it. I have to get him the gear, constantly remind him of the pipe centres and stuff because he is thick, I look at the finished job and think i could have done that better but i keep him on because i hate tiling.

You are a pretty switched on guy with your trade and i can tell you take pride in your work. I've bookmarked your internet page so i may give you a shout in the future.

BTW Ardbeg 10 year old. I think it is evaporating as it is half empty

I love a good whisky. The Balvenie was a Christmas present and already half gone!

Whenever I go up to Scotland I do a distillery tour and buy the single malt they produce.

Cheers Tam appreciate that, I do like Wedi products not getting the turn I was getting a few years ago masel doubt it will ever come back.

Nice half that too, strange how it evaporates though???? Can tell a good tradesman by what he drinks on a Saturday night :wink:

Whenever i go to the shops i buy some malt too. Whatever is on offer with a tenner or so off.
Tend to stick to the peatier Islay ones and some Speysides.
When i first tasted a Laphroaig i nearly had the boak but my taste buds have matured :lol:

I love a good whisky. The Balvenie was a Christmas present and already half gone!

Whenever I go up to Scotland I do a distillery tour and buy the single malt they produce.

Do like a good Bourbon as well, rumour has it the Mrs has me a bottle of Jim Beam Red Stag for my birthday next week, the heavy hinting leading up to crimbo didnt work and she got my JB black label instead, och well drank it outa politeness.

I do like a J&B rare, on ice, mixed with coke and fresh lime!

But usually it's a single malt for me.

Sacrilege. What a waste of a decent whisky :lol:

Whatever floats your boat tho.

Afraid so, don't do it often but if I fancy a long drink then I am partial to a mixer.

The single malt stays single though!

Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the plumbing forum category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do your own tiling work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock