Search the forum,

Discuss Do unvented cylinders require a 'gravity' drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again.

Exploring options for my bro's flat. One is to convert to a pressurised system.

The preferred location for the new unvented cylinder would be where the current vented one is in his airing cupboard. Problem is, it would be tricky to get a gravity drain from this to the outside (he had to have his new boiler fitted in the roof hut for a similar reason to do with the condensate drain).

I know there's pumps and stuff, but that's pants.

Do unvented cylinders require a 'gravity' drain like this, or have I misunderstood (I'm guessing it's to do with the tundish thingy?)? If it is required, are there any solutions that don't require 'gravity'?!

Thanks again.

Yes they do or a pumped drain

Are you G3 if not it might be best to let your installer assess it to ensure that flow/pressure and termination options are all up to scratch

^^^ as above, you need adequate pressure and flow before you can even go down the discharge pipe route . Not a DIY install , its more than “just a cylinder “

Many thanks all.

No, not a DIY install - I'm aware of special quals required for pressurised systems. Just trying to be as informed as possible with all the options before letting my bro loose on finding a plumber.

Thanks Shaun. Not really keen on a pumped drain system - as would also have been the case with the boiler in the same location - so the new cylinder will require a different home.

Cheers, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do unvented cylinders require a 'gravity' drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Hi, According to the regs, can I (homeowner/DIY-er) drain and refill an unvented cylinder myself, or does that require a plumber with G3 cert? Cheers
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
Hi guys, I have a question regarding converting an open vent system (copper cylinder) to pressurized, reason being not enough drop from the loft to power a shower, while i know the common advice is to buy a special unvented cylinder I can see no reason why an unvented copper cylinder cannot be...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock