Search the forum,

Discuss Do most boilers have metal casings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Rob Foster

Esteemed
Are most boiler casings plastic or metal ? I maybe want to attatch to the case and am exploring using a magnet
centralheatking

He'd probably have to kill you if he told you that..
I can in fact tell you. The MFD from flowflex is soon to be renamed TOP UP MATE and we were considering putting a magnet inside the unit as an alternative method of securing the unit. Its no secret now, with a European patent granted and wras approval, so thank you for the info.....Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Actually that's a little unfair. I would use them as a temporary filling loop. For instance when your working on your own and have a large system to fill up, not having to run back and forth the boiler would be beneficial. Or of a customer had a leak something like this to keep the system topped while the leak was found would again be helpful. And in both scenarios a magnet would also be good. So it's possible I'd buy one for myself to keep on the van but don't think I would ever use one as a permanent fixture.

Actually that's a little unfair. I would use them as a temporary filling loop. For instance when your working on your own and have a large system to fill up, not having to run back and forth the boiler would be beneficial. Or of a customer had a leak something like this to keep the system topped while the leak was found would again be helpful. And in both scenarios a magnet would also be good. So it's possible I'd buy one for myself to keep on the van but don't think I would ever use one as a permanent fixture.
Hi Craig, thats basically the purpose of the mfd..top,up mate, its a patch to keep system s operating until the leak is found. especially in cold weather and homes need to be warm paric. rented properties and vulnerable people. An engineer can fit one leave it behind when time or circumstances are tight and return later confident his customer is warm and protected in the meantime.
They are selling very well to housing trusts with 100's or 1000's of homes ....already and will be available to end users later this month. regards Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Hi Craig, thats basically the purpose of the mfd..top,up mate, its a patch to keep system s operating until the leak is found. especially in cold weather and homes need to be warm paric. rented properties and vulnerable people. An engineer can fit one leave it behind when time or circumstances are tight and return later confident his customer is warm and protected in the meantime.
They are selling very well to housing trusts with 100's or 1000's of homes ..already and will be available to end users later this month. regards Rob Foster aka centralheatking
If that's the intended purpose then I'm all for it. I read the article on the flow flex website about it and that's not the impression I got about it's customer base, hence me initially disagreeing with the product. Maybe some different marketing is needed so there's no confusion of what they are for. I certainly wouldn't advertise them as a fit and forget product.

The only negative thing I could say about this product is that it’ll continuously feed a leak on a sealed system, introducing fresh water and air to the system. Yes I know, you could say...what about open vented systems being tank fed and the same applies, but seriously how many open vented systems are out there, compared to sealed.

I do think it’s a decent product and good luck for the future.

The only negative thing I could say about this product is that it’ll continuously feed a leak on a sealed system, introducing fresh water and air to the system. Yes I know, you could say...what about open vented systems being tank fed and the same applies, but seriously how many open vented systems are out there, compared to sealed.

I do think it’s a decent product and good luck for the future.
Few years back I was fitting a bathroom in a bungalow for an elderly man. He had a service and repair contract with British gas. When I lifted the flooring in the bathroom I noticed the screed was all wet and upon looking round found damp coming up the walls too. Customers son told me he had been suffering from pressure loss sometime before and British gas had sorted it. To be fair the system was stable. He asked us to find the leak which we did. Usual abrasion on a pipe buried in screed. When I came to drain down the customers son told me in order to drain the system I had to isolate it in the loft. Thought that strange on a combi but when I got up there, there was a pressure reducing valve with a flexi linking the cold mains to the heatong pipe work. They'd just set the valve at 1bar so whenever the pressure dropped the valve just topped it back up again. The customers system was also very dirty, plate exchanger also clogged up :eek:

What would be good, is if the unit had an led or buzzer thats operated by an Hall effect sensor to alert you that water is being introduced to the system, as folk will just fit and forget.....and it’s to late because the damage is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be good, is if the unit had an led or buzzer thats operated by an Hall effect sensor to alert you that water is being introduced to the system, as folk will just fit and forget...and it’s to late because the damage is done.
correct and we are working on it ...Tum 2 will as you state be
smart....patent is already in hand ....my choice is another new maserati quattro porte ghiblin
or re invest ....I am going to re. invest as always...my first wife and the second one will both agree ..and probably hate me as a result but .hey ho ...off we go again
Rob Foster aka centrakheatking

Last edited:

Reply to Do most boilers have metal casings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock