Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need a new boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I just aquired a place with a boiler which seemed to be working, but has now been declared unsafe by the gas safety man.
I'm wondering if I should try to have it repaired or if it's not worth it.
On the plus side it's an 8 years old Worcester-Bosch Greenstar Junior 24i
On the minus side:
  • Some numpty has extended the flue with a piece of drainpipe
  • It's producing high levels of CO in the flue and some is detectable inside the casing
  • The heating system pressure isn't stable (there was some component mentioned in relation to this, unfortunately I forgot its name but apparently it could be pumped with a bicycle pump?)
  • My guy was of the opinion that it might never have been serviced.
So my question is, Does it make sense to try and repair it? The think that particularly worries me is obviously the CO. If it's got to the point that some is getting out, can that be reliably tracked down and fixed or will there still be some risk?
Thanks!

Sounds horrendous. I’d report to gas safe. It could be repairable as long as parts are still available, which they should be. I’d get a few quotes to repair it then compare

Acquired a place ? If it’s going to be a let strip it out give us the main facts but I fink it’s a bye bye boiler moment

I'd say it was very fixable to make safe and working properly but do get a few quotes as suggested. Sounds like the CO levels will be down to the unsuitable flue and your expansion vessel may just need inflating but it may also need replacing. I certainly would not give up on it initially but if the bill is in excess of say £300 - £400+ you may well want to put that towards a new one.

Parts will be available. Would need to spend money on it to see if it is worth fixing. New flue for a start. Probably needs a full strip down service replacing seals. Then retest Co levels. Might need something else to sort high Co after that though. Weigh up your options. If gas line ok and it needs changed then go bosh again as it's a quicker install pipework wise. Pressure loss is likely to be an easy fix or go for an external vessel option.

Just needs a strip down service and new gaskets as mentioned. And a plumb management kit but the sounds of it.

Thanks guys - good range of opinions I see :)
Those who recommend ditching it, is that because you think it could be dangerous, or because you just don't think it's economic?
Or just hate the brand? :)

Any pics of said boiler flue ?

Here's one:
https://i.*********/Jxue1RC.jpg
https://*********/a/fQQ8NCH
This looks worse than it was originally, because the gas safety guy pulled it off to investigate.
You can see that the intake is inside a lean-to (which has no ventilation), but the er, output port, has been extended to go above the roof of the lean-to.

Thanks guys - good range of opinions I see :)
Those who recommend ditching it, is that because you think it could be dangerous, or because you just don't think it's economic?
Or just hate the brand? :)
It’s not economic who cares about who made it its defunct I am binary in my outlook only do yes or no

New flue route and proper strip down service I can't see why its not as economic as a new boiler...theres barely anything in it efficiency wise.

Agree, flue will prob possibly have to go out sideways or through the main buildings roof line as that lean-to roof will barely support the weight of townfanjohn's packed lunch.

Reply to Do I need a new boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock