Search the forum,

Discuss Do all imperial pipe measurements refer to a nominal bore? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
And all metric pipe measurements refer to OD?

So 3.5" cast iron soil will be roughly 3.5" ID and 110mm plastic soil will be something like 105mm ID?

Thanks

When I look at a piece of Low Carbon Steel tube, say 1/2" diameter that measurement is the internal diameter. On a copper or plastic 15mm tube the measurement is on the outside diameter. I am not sure if this follows for other pipe materials but at least it does with the ones I am familiar with. I have very rarely worked with cast iron pipe so hopefully someone can tell us if the "rule" works on the larger stuff too.

Now you're entering the world of confusion. lol.

It's not that straight forward with cast iron pipe. The internal diameter is around 4" for 4" pipe but it varies a little. There are different pressure classes as there are with steel and that alters the wall thickness a bit so not all 4" will be exactly 4" inside.

If you looked at 4" class C you will see that it is correct on the internal diameter. (4" exactly), after 12", Class B becomes exact on the internal diameter. It changes with size. Have a look at Wikipedia, there is some history and a chart.

Black iron pipe (steel), has different weights too. Red=Heavy, Blue=Medium, Yellow=Light etc.
This effects the bore slightly due to it being thicker walled but not the O.D.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I don't know, why do they make car tyres in inches diameter and millimetres width?

Worked out good thanks kop

111.jpg 222.jpg 333.jpg

New toilet fitted with less of a bodge on the waste. Still had to use a 40mm offset but at least looked neater

Offered up a 14 degree angle pan con but ended up too low for soil. Despite angle of cast a 40mm offset and an extension worked fine.

However the last 2 times I've tried to join to cast a multikwik / mcalpine for 4" is too big and a 3.5" is too small. And so I end up squeezing the 4" in but there's no way it's the right size because it always distorts

Multikwik sell connectors for soil that is 88mm-92mm and 99mm-105mm (3.5" and 4" pipe) but in each case what I really needed was one in the middle, like a connector for 92mm-99mm. Doesn't look like such a thing exists...

How long did it take cutting the cast ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do all imperial pipe measurements refer to a nominal bore? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to create a cloakroom toilet in our utility room, theres already hot and cold feed so thats one job made slightly easier, thankfully. The problem I'm...
Replies
Views
Looking to see what iron pipe part can fit a 10mm ball joint? In this pic there is a part that connects the ball joint (or whatever they are called) to the 1/2 inch pipe. I am looking to connect to a 3/4 inch pipe. Are there any threads that do this? Thanks I have been told that in North...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
Hi, Helping a friend, his soil stack is cast iron. The bath and basin wastes (all removed now) went into individual entries on the stack. These are iron pipes, with what looks like a female internal thread into which there is some sort of metal reducer with what is maybe a compression fitting...
Replies
Views
Think I know the answer is no but asking just in case. I have a solvent weld bathroom waste with lots of connectors in it that disappears into the wall with a right angle connector. There is no place to break into it to connect up a new arrangement for a new sink. So does anyone make a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock