Search the forum,

Discuss Dishwasher Waste Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Background
I'm installing a dishwasher into a new kitchen as part of a new build (no kitchen there before). I installed a 40mm waste pipe within the joists (first floor kitchen) into the soil pipe with a Boss strap-on. The 40mm pipe appears through the floor vertically (standpipe) to connect up to a dishwasher located in a breakfast bar (not near the sink).

Problem
I didn't add a trap under the floor :/ (see pic attached)

Could I cut the 40mm pipe and connect to a standpipe trap just above the floor - attach to one of these (see drawn pic attached) - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalp...mm/94360#product_additional_details_container

Should I get a tapered appliance fitting for the top of the standpipe or just pop the dishwasher waste outlet into the standpipe?

Would appreciate some advice - many thanks.
Dave

IMG_8121.jpg

IMG_8122.JPG

Hep20 trap ?

Thanks guys, great help - any preference on positioning the valve on the vertical pipe?

Is it also safe to just push the flexible waste pipe from the dishwasher into the larger waste pipe?

I'm just a DIYer (but retired to compensate for my slowness):

If you go for the valve, then I'd get the tapered connector you mentioned so all sealed, and some pressure then to make sure valve opens. . . at least for a certain length of history

If you go for the stuffed in the top of the standpipe (and simple Hep trap) I'd want it stuffed in about a foot and fixed with a clip, and make the standpipe as tall as you reasonably can. Don't cut off for the trap too near the floor (might want to remake one day). Sorry I don't have one now to photo but that is what I would do, being old fashioned (easy to maintain). The more head you can get will help stop minor dirt building up in the trap and hence avoid floods. Cunning trick is to keep an old wash up bowl etc. under it so come the day it blocks up and starts to overflow, you won't have soggy chipboard before you realise.

Think about which you prefer to maintain downstream. Not sure if, like wash machines it probably will want cleaning out every so many years (depending on what machine cleaners etc. you might use). I'm not sure if dishwashers not as bad as washing machines for gumming up the waste.

Do modern dishwashers detect the output is blocked and shutdown with helpful error code? Hmmmm . . .

Not helpful here but cunning plan (for non-islands) sounds to put your boiler condensate pipe into same trap as a washing machine then the acid from the boiler helps clean away the alkaline output from the washer. I'm only two years down the line on that setup (not done by me) fingers crossed :) .

Somebody will now tell me the real reason why technically after years of standpipes they changed to the direct connection :)

Roy

Reply to Dishwasher Waste Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an issue with the standpipe trap in a 3-year-old flat. This flat came with a fitted dishwasher that has been completely unused for that time – until now... The weekend before last, I thought maybe it was about time I tested it out running empty – it all worked fine and it drained ok...
Replies
Views
Hi, came across this old push fit waste pipe. Stripped out the old shower and it was a 40mm waste pipe siliconed in the fitting. The fittings at floor level so I’d be looking to bend (90 degrees) straight away so I can get the lowest possible shower tray. Could someone advise what I could...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, Just in process of relocating kitchen & utility to other side of house but have a question re venting requirements. I intend to connect a sink and dishwasher in the kitchen and a sink and washing machine in the utility room to a 50mm waste pipe running within the suspended floor to...
Replies
Views
Joeab88
J
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
Hello I am fitting a kitchen in a new room without services. Looking to tile the floor so everything under the tiles really needs to be fit and forget. Looking for best advice on fitting drainage for the sink and dishwasher please. Photos of situation below. Sink will be under window and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock