Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Dishwasher suddenly not draining past the u-bend in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Fullpint

Fullpint New Member

Hi - First time poster, hope you can help.

My dishwasher has been in place for about two years and has not had a problem until a few days ago, when I found the dishes in the cupboard full of water.

I emptied the cupboard and turned the dishwasher on, expecting a leak in the hose or the drain pipe. But no - water was gushing out of the grey polypipe and shooting up past the inserted hose.

I checked the u-bend and it's clear. I put a drain snake down and got about 4m in, all ok.

If I take the U-bend off (all the white stuff in the image) and put the dishwasher drain in the end of the grey pipe, it all works fine.

As soon as I put the u-bend back on, water gushes up again. It's like the pump is pumping too hard and the water hits the u-bend too fast and shoots back up.

The pipe is definitely clear as I have poured water in and it never backs up. Not sure what to do now. Thanks for any help.

Image:
    Imgur

[​IMG] Imgur

IMG_8257.JPG

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Edited.

3. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Surprised that has worked tbh. Something has changed if you say it worked ok for two years so put thinking cap on.

4. Fullpint

Fullpint New Member

It's actually worked for 7 years. New dishwasher 2 years ago. What is surprising about that set up? It was like that when I moved in.

5. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

6. Fullpint

Fullpint New Member

7. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Have you taken all the White stuff (your words) apart?

8. Fullpint

Fullpint New Member

Yep, and it is totally clear.

9. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

There could be a few reasons why it’s not working.

The drainage pipe from the washer could be full of gunk round the inside of the pipe, this could cause the velocity of the water to speed up and hit the bottom of the u bend and bounce out. The trap could be on a run that has a air admittance valve and that’s stuck and causing a pressure build up in the waste pipes and not allowing the water to flow. The pump could on its way out and for some unknown reason running to fast. There’s still a blockage in the main pipe, yes you said you put a snake down.. but it could’ve slipped down through the 15mm orifice that’s left through it, from hard baked fat/ grease/ soap build up.

Take your pick, it’s one of those

• Like Like x 1
  10. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Good, do you know what a manhole looks like? On the understanding that even if you don`t St. Google will show you I suggest you go and lift yours. ;)

11. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Pump running too fast ? Don`t think they are variable speed. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Fullpint

Fullpint New Member

Thanks, yeah I know you're right. It's got to be one of those.

The weird thing is it all works fine if I remove the u-bend and hold the washer drain pipe in the grey down pipe.

Would you recommend putting the snake into the washer drain pipe?!

13. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

If they’re a lower voltage than 240 and the board is failing, there is a possibility of them running faster due to over voltage

14. Fullpint

Fullpint New Member

I'm on the 7th floor, so if my manhole was blocked there would be bigger problems!

15. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

How old is the building