Search the forum,

Discuss Direct replacement for my old Potterton EP2001 programmer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wintersun

Hi all,

what's the best direct replacement for my Potterton EP2001 Programmer? Keep my backing place with the original wiring etc, but new front panel.

I have a fully pumped system and Im pretty sure my system can have CH and HW separate.

best replacement would be honeywell st9400,st9420 or st5900.

Thanks steveb,

So would those Honeywell models be a total direct replacement? Keep the Potterton backing plate & clip in Honeywell on top? or would I need to remove the wires from the back of my Potterton and put them into the Honeywell?

Thanks

I have a 3 way switch valve fitted to my system, would the EP6002 programmer work with my system as you can control CH and HW totally independently .

yes back plate is totally interchangeable no wiring needs changing.

Hi steve, was the reply regarding the Honeywell? or EP6002? sorry for all the questions, but im looking at replacing my old EP2001 asap

This is what I have there at the moment.

photo.jpgphoto3.jpg

cheers Kev, what are the differences in the EP2001 and EP2002?

Would it be possible to fit an EP6002? as the CH and HW can be controlled separately on different times.

Note sure weather to upgrade to the EP2002 as its a simple swap, but not sure what the difference is between the ep2001 and ep2002. Or weather to go down the Honeywell route like what Steveb mentioned?

Well, happy xmas Wintersun.
My first post on the forum, so hello gentle people at plumbers forum.

The old trusted EP2001 gave up the ghost this weekend. So thank you guys for sending me on the right tracks. I just bought and fitted an EP2, in place of the defunct programmer. Fits on the same back plate, snap and go. Great.

However.... There is always one of those....;)

I have here to describe the system a wee bit to see if anybody can help.

The gas boiler feeds a neutraliser, a dunsley box, which is also gravity fed by a multifuel boiler. That system has served us well for the last 28 years.
One pump, called HW pump sits next to the gas boiler, and the CH pump sits next to the dunsley box.
When advancing or extending a central heating program on the old EP2001, both HW and CH pumps were triggered as the hot water needs to be lifted to the neutraliser before it can be pumped to the radiators.
On this new EP2, I have to advance or extend both HW and CH programs manually.... bit of a pest. Can live with it, but did I overlooked the obvious?

The wiring has not been touched while swapping the programmer.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and may be solve the issue.

MacWilliam

One week with no answer. Not a very lively forum apparently. Going to try my luck somewhere else.

Your pumps are now wired independently as opposed to before the timer would automatically select hot water when the heating was called for. You'll need to change the wiring so the pump runs for both. Depending on how it is wired it could be a simple job or require a relay. Have you got a wiring diagram?

Off the top of my head you could wire the 'H/W' pump off the switched live or pumped live off the boiler depending on what boiler you have? The hot water pump will then run whenever the boiler is on, the heating pump will run whenever heating is called for.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your answers

At Ermintrude

Jumpers were present on the EP2001. Nothing to be seen at the back of the EP2. Seems that those did the job then.

At Nostrum

Looks like I'll have to rewire it at some point. I did wire it myself ... a long, long time ago. For now I've duplicated the timing HW and CH and it does the job on auto.

Is there a gravity/fully pumped switch on the back?

Cheers Chalked

Not on the EP2... But... there is a stage in setting up that asks whether the system is fully pumped or gravity. I choose the latter as there are two pump present on the system. I have been wondering whether this is the issue as the first pump really replaces the gravity feed .

What do you think?

No put it pumped! That's what jumpers are for !
Hi Ermintrude
he needs the gas boiler, circulation pump and the heating pump to come on together. When heating Is asked for.
hot water is boiler and circulation pump. ( dunsley neutraliser fitted so gravity from that)

Oh oooops. Perhaps a better control setup with a pipe stat to swing in pump on neutraliser would be a better solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Direct replacement for my old Potterton EP2001 programmer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock