Search the forum,

Discuss Difficult tap head removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woodro92

Hi guys,
Having difficulty removing this tap head to replace the washer.
No visible seam to remove the cap looks like a one piece but I can't be sure.
Any advice on what to try.

Attachments

• 1475422567597-1230385780.jpg
    1475422567597-1230385780.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 42
As above
It's usually the very top above the 2 bands.

Turn anticlockwise, with palm of hand pushing down on it.

Thanks guys it must be incredibly tight as I can't un-screw it no matter how hard I try, I'll have to pick up another strap spanner to attack it from 2 sides

I dont think its the top 2 bands , its the very top before the "bands" start

Yes, as above, the dome part.
I would suspect turns and unscrews. It is possible that it just pulls off. Go easy though.

If all else fails, I find throwing myself face down and having a temper tantrum can make me think better.

Have you tried warming the top with hot water ?

Try whacking it gently with something that won't scratch or dent it, - like a rubber mallet.
Then top tip is clean the little top dome well and use electrical insulating tape all around it quite lumpy to allow you grip with your hand.
Failing that then just persevere with a strap wrench.
I use silicone grease on their threads later so someday it might come off easier

Try whacking it gently with something that won't scratch or dent it, - like a rubber mallet.
Then top tip is clean the little top dome well and use electrical insulating tape all around it quite lumpy to allow you grip with your hand.
Failing that then just persevere with a strap wrench.
I use silicone grease on their threads later so someday it might come off easier

Whack it gently ?

That just made me laugh out loud !

Rest of advice is brill as usual 'best' but, I don't know how you whack something gently ?

Whack it gently ?

That just made me laugh out loud !

Rest of advice is brill as usual 'best' but, I don't know how you whack something gently ?

Lol! I knew it sounded wrong!
What I meant was hit it a fair whack, but not as hard to break the basin, or the power you would use to whack your wife. :smile:

Lol! I knew it sounded wrong!
What I meant was hit it a fair whack, but not as hard to break the basin, or the power you would use to whack your wife. :smile:
Ah ! Now that's cleared it !

I fully understand. Thank you. Lol

Just to be clear, - on a Whackometer scale of 10, it only needs a 5.5.

Ha ha, excellent.
I'm glad you've referred to the plumbers whackometer scale of belting things about.
I was thinking with the 'hit your wife power', comment, it might be nearer 6.25 but you cleared it up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Difficult tap head removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock