Search the forum,

Discuss Diamond Core Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a Makita 2450 standard sds hammer drill not on hammer with a core of up to 127mm through brick. The clutch slips sometimes but at least you dont loose your arm. I have had the drill for 3 years and use mexco core. If the core sticks alot use water from a squeezy bottle to lubricate.

I have used the makita extensively for severla years, they are brilliant. Had two fail on me in probably 5 years, possibly usng it 4 or 5 times a week on average. One the clutch went, the other started spraying an oily substance out of the vents all over the place. was not particuarly that day. Other than that, faultless.

I use a Makita 2450 sds hammer drill not on hammer with a 127mm mexco core. Clutch slips sometimes but at least you dont loose your arm. Had the drill 3 years. If it keeps sticking spray with water. It cuts through brick o.k.

tamz, iv spoke to the guy from the link u gave me, ÂŁ140 is that worth it aye ????

They have a lifetime warranty. I have had mine for about 3 years and have severely abused it to the point where it is so hot i can't touch the body. It still does the job perfectly. 90% of the work i do is in tenements drilling through solid stone walls up to 42" thick (fireplace cupboard out).
Even if it was gubbed which is highly unlikely it would still be better than most so called core drills. If you are doing a lot of heating time is money. Use an inferior core machine and i would have the hole cored the boiler hung and flue done before you were through.
They are the best machines available for the money and better than many more expensive ones. Before i bought it i was going through a core gun every 3 - 4 months and i have tried just about every make out there. I was about to spash out ÂŁ800 on a hilti when this was recommended to me by a diamond driller. It really is a good machine and has been worth every penny. If mine died tomorrow i would buy another (well maybe the DDM3).

Buying 2nd hand is always a risk but a second hand beemer is usually better than a new vauxhall. The one on your link looks in better nick and has not been abused much (it is quite clean and not many marks on).

Don't know. It is too heavy to use as a normal drill and has no hammer. It is a dedicated diamond drill.

Interesting, no hammer function?, in a way I'm glad I didn't buy one then although I was tempted. I bought the Makita in the end (hasn't arrived yet) after months of pondering which one to get. I have loads of Makita tools and so far they all been fantastic so I have no reason to buy another brand.

With a chuck I could use it for other things, like when I forget my sds drill and have to mix plaster with my cordless drill.

Still waiting for my Makita to be delivered, was looking forward to messing with that over Christmas. Doubt Parcel Farce will deliver now Christmas Eve. :icon9:

Dedicated diamond drills are brilliant if you are doing a lot of coring and using it every other day or week. They pay for themselves many times over in saved time so are definitely worth having.
If you just do the odd hole now and again an sds and a half decent core bit will do you. The tradesave cores from PTS are quite good and they are not expensive.

We can all go off our head with tools. If i go into a tool shop i am like a wean in a sweetie shop.

Btw these are great wee core bits for smaller holes for waste pipes.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-tct-core-drill-bit-40mm/58613

I use the DeWalt D21570K, awesome bit of kit and makes short work of any core's to drill. Has 2 speed gearbox so you can adjust it when drilling small upto 52mm (i think) and large 127mm.
More powerful than the makita as it's 1300 watts and the an auto safety clutch so you don't go spinning when hitting wall ties :santa_smiley:

Strange how the less powerfull Makita (850W) can drill up to 152mm and the Dewalt (1300W) can only go to 127mm?

Fed up of waiting now for my Makita core drill. I ordered it from Plumbfix last Thursday morning under the impression it would come next day (pushing it I know) but nothing. Waited in all day yesterday and today.......nothing. Rang Screwfix and they said ring back if it doesn't come tomorrow.

They've dispatched, its Parcel Force that are the problem.

Parcel Force are useless, what could be simpler than just ringing up if you can't find the address?

Package gone back to Leeds depot now to make another atempt at a failed delivery on Tueday. I want my regular driver back!

Next day delivery? 8 days now since I ordered. :singer:

Jump in the van and go to Leeds and pick it up :lol:

If I did I would expect to be re-imbursed by someone, Screwfix are more or less saying its out of their hands as it left their warehouse last week. In the past Parcel Force have left Screwfix boxes at the post office (5 min walk away) but no, they keep taking it back to Leeds depot and the next day the same numpty driver fails to deliver.

There are other items in the box that I need, all of which have been bought again eslewhere at a higher price now as I needed them.

I would avoid buying the sparky I brought the biggest one of all from day 1 it was pants and then 4 months out of warranty it blew up quite dramatically with flames bursting out of the sides of it I've now ordered the dewalt as I know a couple of people with it and they rate it highly however they don't use it as much as I would be using mine it arrives tommoro il let you all no what I think of it after a couple of runs also the chuck on the sparky was a nightmare to try tighten and kept working loose while drilling also the handle always used to work loose

I would avoid buying the sparky I brought the biggest one of all from day 1 it was pants and then 4 months out of warranty it blew up quite dramatically with flames bursting out of the sides of it I've now ordered the dewalt as I know a couple of people with it and they rate it highly however they don't use it as much as I would be using mine it arrives tommoro il let you all no what I think of it after a couple of runs also the chuck on the sparky was a nightmare to try tighten and kept working loose while drilling also the handle always used to work loose

Me??

I'd like to congratulate you on dragging up an old post from the pits of hell, but being as you're an unregistered user none of us really care that much.

But if you were registered on t'other hand........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Diamond Core Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock