Search the forum,

Discuss Dewalt cordless gear in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty soon ill be replacing all my cordless kit and was going to buy makita or possibly milwaukee..
today I did a bit of work for a guy who had a set of dewalt XR stuff and it was really impressive.
I took a look at the kits available and you can get the whole lot inc 5 a/h batteries for about 1500.. which is a pretty decent saving. my problem is, ive always (right or wrong) thought of dewalt gear as DIY stuff that wont last.

any opinions?

If you're going to drop £1.5k on cordless kit it ain't for the DIYer. I think most here prefer Makita or Milwaukee but there are long held prejudices against one brand or another for past failings which every brand has suffered from. If the kit has everything you want and no tools are going to be redundant then why not, what you looking at a 10 piece kit? You may be able to negotiate with the sellers if you want to swap out that is less useful to you.

looking at their 9 piece kit that comes with 3 x 5A/H batteries.

drill / driver
impact driver
sds+
jigsaw
recip saw
grinder
multitool
circular saw
torch

the only thing I wouldnt use is the torch so its a pretty good kit, £around 1400

yellow black n decker, not the quality it used to be. only one mans opinion though, amazing what a bit of advertising and branding can do to make you want it, I prefer milwaukee, wouldnt go any where else now accept up to hilti but havebt got the guts to spend so much for tools that can so easily get nicked

the call of the milwaukee is strong..

I have a few Dewalt Xr Bits, really like it, drill is as small as my oldmakita 10.8 but with 18v power, have 4 2ah batteries and a couple of 4's, drill driver, combi drill, multi tool, circular saw and torch. Haven't felt the need for anything else yet although sds is on my radar, just make sure you get the t stack boxes.

Milwaukee is so sexy looking stuff. And so is much of the Makita pro tools.
It is cleverly designed to make you want to touch and hold it.
I just use slightly boring, tough Hilti gear.
Just be careful not to buy a kit that isn't really a bargain if you don't really use some of the tools in it. I wouldn't need a cordless jigsaw, for example.
But I couldn't blame anyone for going for the cheapest deal on professional kits. Screwfix are doing cheap kits, but not really the top of range.
They are, however doing the brushless Dewalt 18volt Combi & impact with 2 x 2.0 ah batteries for £249.99 inc vat

Last edited:
I might consider buying piecemeal.. its.co.uk have a deal on milwaukee fuel drill and impact driver kit right now with 3 batts and charger for £480.. once you have 3 batts half the job is done :D

I might consider buying piecemeal.. its.co.uk have a deal on milwaukee fuel drill and impact driver kit right now with 3 batts and charger for £480.. once you have 3 batts half the job is done :D

Yes, that's the way to look at it, - whatever is the cheapest way to buy what you need.
A lot of pro tool bodies can be surprising very little money.

got a XR combi drill and impact driver,18v and 4 AH,had it for 3 years,good kit imho

Yes, that's the way to look at it, - whatever is the cheapest way to buy what you need.
A lot of pro tool bodies can be surprising very little money.

That's how I put my kit together, as you say tool bodies are often sold pretty cheaply.

Ive had my cheapest Dewalt drill the £100 B&Q special old style battery for coming up to 4/5 years now along with an impact driver that's 2 years old, all still going strong and I abuse the drill quite a bit and quite often, I've also dropped both off a 2 story house roof

Have got an 18v multi tool.
10.8v impact driver and drill.
Core drill and inspection camera. I would highly recommend it.

Makita 10.8v stuff is gash imho.

My tools are mainly hitachi, hilti, dewalt and worx pro.

The weak link are the worx pro batteries but the tools themselves ok.

I've got makita gear but if I was hunting this kit would be tempting obviously needs to add a sds to it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/351173701404

Very reasonable for all that, but I have a Bosch combi drill which says "professional" on it and find it underpowered and a bit DIY feel. My Hilti combi is much more powerful, although much bigger and heavier. An agent for pro tools told me Bosch corded is the best you can get, in his opinion, but Bosch cordless is not really good and not professional.

Very reasonable for all that, but I have a Bosch combi drill which says "professional" on it and find it underpowered and a bit DIY feel. My Hilti combi is much more powerful, although much bigger and heavier. An agent for pro tools told me Bosch corded is the best you can get, in his opinion, but Bosch cordless is not really good and not professional.

agree.. dont like bosch at all

I had the old style dewault for ages burnt out a couple of combi drills abusing them holesawing but the rest was fine now got the new style stuff circ and recip saws impact and drill driver and angle drill and torch not had any problems here

Who really needs an impact driver?
Noisy as hell and will shatter a bit into razor sharp fragments that fly everywhere.....I havent used mine for at least 18 months.
Combi drill is far better.

Noisy as hell and will shatter a bit into razor sharp fragments that fly everywhere.....I havent used mine for at least 18 months.

yea im still using hitachi and makita drill/drivers and dont have an impact driver..
if it were not for the fact that I can smell the motors when they run, I wouldnt be changing my kit :)

You have to use proper impact bits for an impact driver.
My Hilti impact is 160 Nm of torque. A really powerful combi drill is maybe 60 or 80 Nm, so while this power is plenty for most screwdriving and drilling, it is not enough for screwing in or removing very long screws and coach bolts or nuts easily. Mine has 3 levels of selectable torque, which I think is where a lot of people go wrong, - if you use too high a torque or an impact driver that only has full power torque, then it is no good. My impact can be set to much lower torque than what a combi normal is.
The impact drill puts no strain on your hand and arm, unlike a combi under load. Also much shorter than a combi and no chuck, which is a big advantage.

Last edited:
You have to use proper impact bits for an impact driver.
My Hilti impact is 160 Nm of torque. A really powerful combi drill is maybe 60 or 80 Nm, so while this power is plenty for most screwdriving and drilling, it is not enough for screwing in or removing very long screws and coach bolts or nuts easily. The impact drill puts no strain on your hand and arm, unlike a combi under load

and always helps use good quality screws

for bits i only use wera impaktor and screws spax or on plugs screwfix quick sliver

and always helps use good quality screws

for bits i only use wera impaktor and screws spax or on plugs screwfix quick sliver

I edited my post to mention the impact drivers really need to have adjustable torque levels. If it is a basic impact driver that just puts out full power, then it will wreck screws
I use Hilti impact bits and I got some Dewalt bits. I must get some Wera bits.

I edited my post to mention the impact drivers really need to have adjustable torque levels. If it is a basic impact driver that just puts out full power, then it will wreck screws
I use Hilti impact bits and I got some Dewalt bits. I must get some Wera bits.

tbh you dont really need adjustable torque levels, its more down to trigger control once you have mastered that your fine

and there the best

tbh you dont really need adjustable torque levels, its more down to trigger control once you have mastered that your fine

I think you are right, but mine is a nice gentle tool when on lowest setting and good for screwing pipe clips etc

Your using the wrong bits.
My small 10.8v dewalt can drive larger screws deeper than my 18v drill.
I personally find it faster for putting screws into plugs and its also lighter and easier to handle.

I use my Milwaukee M12 Impact driver (don't smirk) all the time for the small stuff, it has 120Nm and even though it has a lower setting I rarely use it. Either I use trigger control or pulse the trigger to avoid smashing heads and bits, an 18v ID with 150 +Mm is more of a wrench, it does need lower settings otherwise it's far too powerful for smaller delicate work.

Last edited:
I seen a bloke in a workshop using a Yankee the other week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dewalt cordless gear in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock