Discuss debate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
having a spat with a mechanical engineer (knobbers)

basically their is a main boiler house which is fed by two inch iron off a commercial gas meter ,
off that commercial gas meter is a two inch tee that reducers down to inch copper with a aecv then sub meter then aecv.
this inch copper pipe shoots off to feed a system boiler

our argument is that i say its still one system as it tee's off from the main commercial meter regardless of aecv and sub meter

he says that its two systems because of aecv and sub meter

i am the gsr he is hnd/hnc ex gas man mechy engineer annoying noob

who is right

I would agree with him, ******** or not :) Its why you have sub meters means you can run several boilers off one feed ie flats, would you call 4 flats off one large meter with their own sub meters one system?

reason i ask i sure i phoned gsr tech help regarding this few years ago and they said its classed as pipework

its popped up again this week and mr engineer says its not and is adamant about it to the point i felt like chinning him lol

I'm getting an inference here, that means a lettings agent may get thumped tomorrow :)

Dam had right debate today regarding this

I was saying it's one system as originally had just one meter now it has had sub meter in feeding system boiler.
So if a gsr engineer done a tt on the commercial meter would they be classed as responsible person for whole system including sub meter

I was saying it's one system as originally had just one meter now it has had sub meter in feeding system boiler.
So if a gsr engineer done a tt on the commercial meter would they be classed as responsible person for whole system including sub meter

yep...

542294_516868871690807_554887584_n.jpg

Done the same in kitchens. Test point and aecv = domestic engineer free to roam! Gas safe will confirm. Although appliance MUST be room sealed to remain an entity that can bee deemed to not I react with local non domestic plant.

I would agree with him, ******** or not :) Its why you have sub meters means you can run several boilers off one feed ie flats, would you call 4 flats off one large meter with their own sub meters one system?

I would agree with lame on this

If the commercial guy tested from the commercial meter and included everything else in the test then yes he would be responsible, as a domestic guy I can work from the valved supply through the smaller leg, I'm not actually sure having a sub meter means that much, after all the meter is only a means of Measuring a supply for billing purposes it doesn't really effect the work/testing getting done

Primary meter - meter nearest to and downstream of a service pipe for ascertaining the volume of gas supplied through that pipe by a gas supplier.

Secondary meter - meter, other than a primary meter, for ascertaining the quantity of gas provided by a person for use by another person.

If the commercial guy tested from the commercial meter and included everything else in the test then yes he would be responsible, as a domestic guy I can work from the valved supply through the smaller leg, I'm not actually sure having a sub meter means that much, after all the meter is only a means of Measuring a supply for billing purposes it doesn't really effect the work/testing getting done

I may of read this completely wrong so please forgive me if I have.

Are you saying if I went to a commercial install and they wanted something doing on a 28mm leg which has an Isolation and test point on it I can work on it? I was always lead to believe that you would need a commercial engineer to test the rest of the gas carcass.

I may of read this completely wrong so please forgive me if I have.

Are you saying if I went to a commercial install and they wanted something doing on a 28mm leg which has an Isolation and test point on it I can work on it? I was always lead to believe that you would need a commercial engineer to test the rest of the gas carcass.

You can work on an installation with 35mm copper as long as the total IV of the valved section your are working doesn't exceed 0.035m3 when you are finished

I don't know what yourb reason is for raising this issue but it is one that has caused much debate within the industry. In legal terms because the source of the gas supply is unique (i.e the commercial meter) it should and I repeat should be considered one system. The presence of a sub meter and AECV valves only constitute a form of secondary control and not the creation of a seperate system since the designer would have to calculate that the commercial meter was capable of supplying a quantity of gas sufficient to run both the appliances in the main boiler house area and the isolated system boiler. It should also be remembered that even though the system boiler is away on its own if it is within a commercial premise it will need to comply with DSEAR, the pressure products directive, hazardous area regulations and other requirements of a commercial installation. For it to be a seperate system it would need to obtain its gas supply from before the commercial meter and not after it and I think that you will find this to be the case if you care to examine the standards and statutory requirements.

As for whether this is or is not the answer you were looking for is really immaterial what matters is that when the man in the curly wig is called upon to adjudicate in these matters he will defer to what is in his opinion an expert body, which in this case would probably be the Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers since Gas Safe Register is merely the keeper of the register whist it is IGEM and EU Skills who are the standard writers and managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to debate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock