Search the forum,

Discuss D.I.Y. Boiler replacement for my Grandmother. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retep37

My Grandmother has to have a replacement boiler fitted in to her kitchen at her massive detatched 12 bedroomed house in Twickenham ,London.The original one was a Ravenheat 75 Kw output boiler which was ok when it ran ,need I say more!,so between us we rang a few of these so called swaggering chip on the shoulder Sheriff of Nottingham style gas engineers that strut around like they work for that other shower called British Gas locally & decided upon using a fitter from East Ham who seemed to be so nice & polite on the phone,any way he said he would come round and give us an estimate one day so 6 weeks later he arrived with his bass(not the fish) and proceeded to assess the situation,the strange thing was when I asked him for his Gas Safe Registration his reply was that he was a Euro Greyhound registered Gas safe approved Technician 1st class engineer which he said meant Gas registered European yardstick for housing & National developments,I thought this seemed rather strange as I had not heard of this type of reg before(I am a fully qualified Electrician to Approved standard),also he was covered from head to foot in like a black carbon soot like residue with that distinctive smell of something that had been severely scorched,any way after about half an hour he produced an estimate and handed it to me ,God above I nearly collapsed ,it stated for the days work involved it would cost my dear old Grandmother about £ 500 just for labour only,well that finally did it to think that he had the downright audacity & blatent cheek to charge a poor old lady £500 just to turn off the gas , swap an old boiler over and re connect a few pipes so I told him to get off this property before I break both your bloody legs , ram that bass up somewhere you so called gas safe legalised crook, and stretch that bending spring tight round your gas safe corrupt kneck, never seen any body run so fast from a mansion when I mentioned the Police,so the final question of this saga is can I do the work myself as she has only a pension & about £11 million worth of shares etc.?

Re: D.I.Y boiler swap

Welcome to the forum, secondly don't post three times the moderators look at that as spam Thirdly no you can't is the simple answer. You might have written this in anger but £500 for a boiler swap is pretty cheap for the work involved. What you see as just swapping a few pipes over is in fact somebody taking responsibility for the installation of a device that can potentially kill you. Based on a few things you put on this thread I am thinking it's probably a wind up.

I feel one of the moderators will be along shortly

Wind up.
God I wish people would paragraph long posts.

lol, only 11 million.. almost broke eh ;)

No. No and thrice no.

Don't duplicate posts. It's spam and extremely tedious.

And I've just tidied it all up.

Answer's still no.

However if a commercial boy has quoted 500 notes to swap a commercial sized boiler, you should chew his arm off.

I charge that just to answer the phone.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to D.I.Y. Boiler replacement for my Grandmother. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock