Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting plastic pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

muggo

Hi
Please can anyone advise if I can cut barrier pex plastic pipe without a special tool?
I have a decent mitre saw so can get a good 90 degree cut, but is that good enough?
Many thanks
Paul

Easier to buy some cutters. Think mine cost 14quid. A lot easier than getting a mitre saw out and filing edges. I wouldn't even consider doing that.

You could use a sharp stanley knife, but as a set of cutters are so cheap you may as well get a pair.

You'll have to file it down a lot, if using a saw. I think a proper cutter is best.

You can get away with doing it with overflow pipe though.

I got a set of garden secateurs, did a cracking job, until I blunted them cutting stuff I shouldn't. The proper cutters are the way to go. Although I must admit to the odd stanley knife cut and even 15mm pipeslice when I didn't want to wander back to the van.

I got a set of garden secateurs, did a cracking job, until I blunted them cutting stuff I shouldn't. The proper cutters are the way to go. Although I must admit to the odd stanley knife cut and even 15mm pipeslice when I didn't want to wander back to the van.

Does a pipeslice work ok then?

If it's like cats and dogs outside or you're 4 flights up it's not bad. It cuts about 90% through and then just snaps off (on speedfit).

No a pipeslice doesn't work. Plastic pipe cutters or a plastic pipeslice is the way to go.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Yes a pipe slice does work, I've done it. Not recommending, it but it does work. The plastic pipe slice is'nt too bad, but you can't beat the proper cutters. Quick and square everytime.

Depends on how many cuts you are planning doing. If it is just one or 2 cuts, use a bread knife or an axe if you like. A lot of cuts buy the proper cutter.

I like the idea of someone swinging a axe around under there sink trying to cut a plastic pipe all the while the old womens looking on thinking does he know what hes doing :wink:

Depends on how many cuts you are planning doing. If it is just one or 2 cuts, use a bread knife or an axe if you like. A lot of cuts buy the proper cutter.

Can you imagine the damage caused by the next fast tracker trying to cut speedfit with an axe!!!!

Then the old women says oh you trained to be a plumber in three months thats quick now a days isnt it, to which the fast tracker replies yes and i get all my answers and tips like my axe form the internet

There are dozens of posts about the correct way to use pushfit and plastic pipe. Why doesn't anyone looking for the correct installation go and look at the manufacturers website and get the full and correct info there!!?

Whenever there is something I'm unsure about installing, I go and find out as much as I can from the people who make it so I don't make a dogs dinner of the installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because they are skint and it is "only for a one off" and rather than spend a tenner on a cutter look for a cheap fix.

You should be able to buy cheap basic cutters - or use secateurs.
I just bought yesterday a ratcheting set of pipe cutters that go to 42mm, in a Lidl clearance, for £2.

Please folks, DO remember to take the time to regularly sharpen the blades on your plastic pipe cutters!

Letting them go blunt nips the pipe and makes uneven cuts, not to mention taking longer.

The material in plastic pipe blunts the blades quickly

If you don't have a slipstone, then ask the missus if you can borrow the kitchen steel she uses to sharpen the carving knife.

Rothenberger plasticut pipe slice - £6.50 - not worth faffng around with saws and files (or axes :D )

Please folks, DO remember to take the time to regularly sharpen the blades on your plastic pipe cutters!

Letting them go blunt nips the pipe and makes uneven cuts, not to mention taking longer.

The material in plastic pipe blunts the blades quickly

If you don't have a slipstone, then ask the missus if you can borrow the kitchen steel she uses to sharpen the carving knife.
The blade on my plastic cutters cost £25 a pop, which hurts when you mistake a painted copper overflow on a toilet your taking out as plastic

does anybody use this?
a3b73400e3d107f9d638f5f065e10309.jpg

Ridgid P-TEC 3240 Plastic Pipe Cutter - YouTube

Good idea for new work but plastic pipe shears will cut up to 1 1/2" in situ. That won't.

yes but then you have to clean the ends of swarf it is much better with the correct cutter and cleaner

Anyone used the Rothenberger Rocut 42TC shears for cutting waste pipe?

that rigid cutter is for 40mm european size waste won't be any good for 43 mm

So won't fit 11/2 waste pipe then. Is it any good and what one will cut 42mm or even 50mm?

the rocut cuts 42mm, have used em to cut 50 but awkward, have to push hard and rotate pipe against blade

To cut barrier pipe without using a proper cutter is asking for trouble, saws and knifes leave burs which can negate o-ring to pipe seals and also damage o-rings, also dedicated pipe cutters cut squarely which is very important. Some manufacturers wont guarantee pipe or fittings if they are not cut properly.

I've had some success using a 15mm copper pipe cutter to get it nearly cut through then a decent pair of secateurs to finish the job off. It seems a neat & accurate cut to me, but I haven't switched the water on to try it yet!
Thanks to all who replied to my original question.

I've had some success using a 15mm copper pipe cutter to get it nearly cut through then a decent pair of secateurs to finish the job off. It seems a neat & accurate cut to me, but I haven't switched the water on to try it yet!
Thanks to all who replied to my original question.

lol secateurs love it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cutting plastic pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock