Search the forum,

Discuss Customer running all pipework. Wants me to fit boiler in loft and connect up. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

armyash

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi everyone,

Been asked to look at a job, the customer and his dad have already ripped out the cylinder and 90% of the old pipework and rads. They will be doing everything minus the gas pipework and fitting the boiler.

They have asked me to do it, they are decent guys to work for. They are not know it alls and will let me crack on.

It's their first home and they have gutted the place, they are obviously trying to save as much as they can. I'm happy to do the work, I have said I'd allow a day for it.

If there are issues with any of their work when it comes to filling and commissioning (might not be any) how would you price to sort out? I will be making them aware that sorting any issues with their work is not included in my price. I'm happy to help but it is the type of job that could be a fair days pay for the work done but should there be any problems I don't want to feel as though I have to sort it then discuss prices after.

Thanks

give them a day rate but you will be fair with them if it only takes like half a day to repair etc

Not keen tbh on diy folk doing any pipework.
But I guess not much different than linking to an existing old system.
I would keep a regular follow up on their stages of work so you can stop them at earliest possible times where they make mistakes.
They are probably wasting their time

I'm not too keen on the idea either usually but there is no pressure on me. Also it's good that they have decided against fitting the boiler themselves. They have been clear in that all they want me to do is run the gas and do the boiler so that is what they will get a price for.

They are doing the work in the evenings so it's not going to be finished any time soon. I'm expecting silly things like leaking rad tails, missing a fitting or 2 when it comes to soldering. I know what it's like working all day then starting a project in the evening. You don't get as much done as you think you will and it's not done to such a high standard either.

They are running all the pipe work in to the loft, I have shown them where I need them to come up to give me the space to connect to the boiler. The condense will be run internally and will drop down to the kitchen. I will speak to them this week and let them know that I will do the work requested but if there are any issues with leaks etc or if return visits are needed it will be chargeable.

What are they actually going to save in labour costs for the system pipes and rads install?
Some people can be too tight.
I bet they will size the pipes wrong also.

I think most diy folk should just to the manual labouring work involved

It's a no from me. Can of worms. All good until you come across something they've stuffed up.

This is the one potential stumbling block that I will be discussing before agreeing a date and price.

What are they actually going to save in labour costs for the system pipes and rads install?
Some people can be too tight.
I bet they will size the pipes wrong also.

I think most diy folk should just to the manual labouring work involved

Its going to cause them a lot of work and inconvenience. The only pipe work they have left in is the 22mm upstairs running under the floor. (probably imperial).

They are getting the boiler. They asked if I would rather get it or if I can get it cheaper. I've told them to get it. probably be faulty out the box if I get it. If they want to do the majority of the work they can deal with that.

A big no no from me I am afraid will not put a boiler in a loft add in DIY pipework a recipe for disaster in my book , but if you want to do it then cover your back with a breakdown and estimate of what you are prepared to do and that you cannot be held responsible for any part of the system you haven't installed. Cheers kop

Reply to Customer running all pipework. Wants me to fit boiler in loft and connect up. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock